* [babel] :session
@ 2009-10-19  4:10 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-10-19  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

In org-babel.org one of the R examples uses a header argument :session
that is not otherwise documented.  I don't trust my Lisp understanding
enough to learn about it from the source code.  Would it be possible
to add it to the documentation?

org-babel is lots of fun--many, many possibilities ...

Tom

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [babel] :session
@ 2009-10-19 13:59 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-10-19 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha all,
>
> In org-babel.org one of the R examples uses a header argument :session that is not otherwise documented.

What a glaring omission, we will have to add this to the documentation.
Thanks for pointing this out.

> I don't trust my Lisp understanding enough to learn about it from the
> source code.  Would it be possible to add it to the documentation?

In the mean time, a quick overview of the session argument is that it
allows the execution of source-code blocks to take place in a persistent
"session".  So in R rather than evaluating the block using the R command
line, an *R* buffer will be created and evaluation will take place in
that buffer.  This allows the persistence of environment between
different source-code blocks.  So it would be possible to create a
variable in one source-code block, and reference it in another if both
blocks have the same session header argument.  Adding a string after
:session will name that session, while just the session header will use
the default session -- i.e. *R* for r code, or *ruby* for ruby, etc...

Best -- Eric