* Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-08 19:35 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-08 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone who stores Gnus links in org find that opening links
is extremely slow as it calls `gnus' every time. `gnus' is very slow and
is unnecessary in this case. So there is room for improvement.

HTH,
--
..  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  ::

dto>           "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
dto>         http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html

* Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-08 21:26 ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-09-08 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if anyone who stores Gnus links in org find that opening links
> is extremely slow as it calls `gnus' every time.

Are you using org-nnml.el? I find that this works quite well. In fact,
without it I would find gnus links unusable, because I use many nnml
folders in Gnus. With org-nnml, a link to your message looks like
this:

[[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode#3117][Email from Leo:
Gnus links very slow to open]]

and executing that link from an org file is fast.

Or perhaps you don't have Gnus open most all the time, as I do. If
org-mode has to start gnus because it hasn't been started yet, then
this is hardly a problem with org-mode.

Perhaps a more complete description of your situation is needed.

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-24 17:59   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-24 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Dan,

Sorry to get back to this email so late.

On 2007-09-08 22:26 +0100, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I wonder if anyone who stores Gnus links in org find that opening links
>> is extremely slow as it calls `gnus' every time.
>
> Are you using org-nnml.el? I find that this works quite well. In fact,
> without it I would find gnus links unusable, because I use many nnml
> folders in Gnus. With org-nnml, a link to your message looks like
> this:
>
> [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode#3117][Email from Leo:
> Gnus links very slow to open]]
>
> and executing that link from an org file is fast.

I am not using org-nnml but the problem is still there.

Upon opening a link, org calls gnus-other-frame which would try to get
new emails first and then switch to the group buffer.

The time it takes is getting new emails. I know many Gnus users can not
stand the speed and single-threadedness of Gnus and have been using 3rd
party application such as fetchmail to retrieve emails. However, it is
completely unnecessary to retrieve new emails when opening Gnus link.

> Or perhaps you don't have Gnus open most all the time, as I do. If
> org-mode has to start gnus because it hasn't been started yet, then
> this is hardly a problem with org-mode.
>
> Perhaps a more complete description of your situation is needed.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=

* Re: Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-24 23:35     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-24 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo,

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Upon opening a link, org calls gnus-other-frame which would try to get
> new emails first and then switch to the group buffer.

What would be the way to invoke Gnus without it to fetch new mails?

If we find this, then we can put it in the `org-link-frame-setup'
variable.

--
Bastien

* Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-25  7:12       ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2007-09-25  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>> Upon opening a link, org calls gnus-other-frame which would try to get
>> new emails first and then switch to the group buffer.
>
> What would be the way to invoke Gnus without it to fetch new mails?
>
> If we find this, then we can put it in the `org-link-frame-setup'
> variable.

Gnus does not fetch new mails on gnus-other-frame. I think Leo has
customized some gnus hook to automatically fetch mail when gnus starts
- and that is getting carried over to here as well.

-- Naked

* Re: Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-25  7:46         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-25  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Leo

Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Upon opening a link, org calls gnus-other-frame which would try to get
>>> new emails first and then switch to the group buffer.
>>
>> What would be the way to invoke Gnus without it to fetch new mails?
>>
>> If we find this, then we can put it in the `org-link-frame-setup'
>> variable.
>
> Gnus does not fetch new mails on gnus-other-frame. I think Leo has
> customized some gnus hook to automatically fetch mail when gnus starts
> - and that is getting carried over to here as well.

Leo, maybe `nnml-get-new-mail' being t is the culprit?

--
Bastien

* Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-25  7:55         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-25  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-25 08:12 +0100, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> Bastien wrote:
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Upon opening a link, org calls gnus-other-frame which would try to get
>>> new emails first and then switch to the group buffer.
>>
>> What would be the way to invoke Gnus without it to fetch new mails?
>>
>> If we find this, then we can put it in the `org-link-frame-setup'
>> variable.
>
> Gnus does not fetch new mails on gnus-other-frame. I think Leo has
> customized some gnus hook to automatically fetch mail when gnus starts
> - and that is getting carried over to here as well.
>
> -- Naked

Thank Naked for head up. I just found out I have the following:

(setq org-link-frame-setup
      '((vm . vm-visit-folder-other-frame)
        (gnus . gnus)
        (file . find-file-other-window)))

That's the culprit.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Open gnus link without popping up a new frame (was: Gnus links very slow to open)
@ 2007-09-25  8:00           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-25  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Folks,

I run Emacs in xterm and popup frames are useless. Thus I would like to
open a gnus link without a new frame. I have the following config:

(setq org-link-frame-setup
      '((vm . vm-visit-folder-other-frame)
        (gnus . gnus)
        (file . find-file-other-window)))

However, every time I try to open a gnus link Gnus also tries to fetch
new emails, making the process very slow.

Any suggestions?

Best,
--

@ 2007-09-25  8:10           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-25  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank Naked for head up. I just found out I have the following:
>
> (setq org-link-frame-setup
>       '((vm . vm-visit-folder-other-frame)
>         (gnus . gnus)
>         (file . find-file-other-window)))
>
> That's the culprit.

And how did you change this so that Gnus won't fetch new mails each time
you try to follow a Gnus link?

--
Bastien

* Re: Gnus links very slow to open
@ 2007-09-25  8:35             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-25  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-25 09:10 +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thank Naked for head up. I just found out I have the following:
>>
>> (setq org-link-frame-setup
>>       '((vm . vm-visit-folder-other-frame)
>>         (gnus . gnus)
>>         (file . find-file-other-window)))
>>
>> That's the culprit.
>
> And how did you change this so that Gnus won't fetch new mails each time
> you try to follow a Gnus link?

I have found the solution to this yet. Ideas?

--

@ 2007-09-25  8:45               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-25  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2007-09-25 09:10 +0100, Bastien wrote:
>> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Thank Naked for head up. I just found out I have the following:
>>>
>>> (setq org-link-frame-setup
>>>       '((vm . vm-visit-folder-other-frame)
>>>         (gnus . gnus)
>>>         (file . find-file-other-window)))
>>>
>>> That's the culprit.
>>
>> And how did you change this so that Gnus won't fetch new mails each time
>> you try to follow a Gnus link?
>
> I have found the solution to this yet. Ideas?

I thought that "That's the culprit." was synonymous to "I've punished
the culprit." -- sorry. As I said earlier (this thread goes crazy), did
you tried to set `nnml-get-new-mail' to nil ?

--
Bastien

* Re: Open gnus link without popping up a new frame
@ 2007-09-25 12:50             ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2007-09-25 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo wrote:
> I run Emacs in xterm and popup frames are useless. Thus I would like to
> open a gnus link without a new frame. I have the following config:

Does gnus-other-frame in an xterm actually do something? Is there a
frame it can pop up?

In any case, perhaps this kind of a function would be what you need:

(defun my-gnus
  (interactive)
  (if (gnus-alive-p)
      (switch-to-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
    (gnus)))

(Completely untested)

-- Naked

* Re: Re: Open gnus link without popping up a new frame
@ 2007-09-26 13:42               ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-09-26 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi> writes:

> Leo wrote:
>> I run Emacs in xterm and popup frames are useless. Thus I would like to
>> open a gnus link without a new frame. I have the following config:
>
> Does gnus-other-frame in an xterm actually do something? Is there a
> frame it can pop up?

Frames on a tty work kind of like 'screen' windows.  They take up the
whole tty, and you can switch between them with C-x 5 o.  I'd assume
gnus-other-frame works normally in this context.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Open gnus link without popping up a new frame
@ 2007-09-26 15:44                 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-26 14:42 +0100, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
> Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi> writes:
>
>> Leo wrote:
>>> I run Emacs in xterm and popup frames are useless. Thus I would like to
>>> open a gnus link without a new frame. I have the following config:
>>
>> Does gnus-other-frame in an xterm actually do something? Is there a
>> frame it can pop up?
>
> Frames on a tty work kind of like 'screen' windows.  They take up the
> whole tty, and you can switch between them with C-x 5 o.  I'd assume
> gnus-other-frame works normally in this context.

That's why it is not usefully. Try to switch between 3 or more frames in
tty, you will see how awkward that is.