* imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-21 22:58 yggdrasil
From: yggdrasil @ 2013-11-21 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is there a way to evaluate imaxima source code in org-mode to display
the latex output inline in the org-buffer? I have found in [1] how to
evaluate maxima code, but I don't understand if and how to adopt it to
get the nice latex/pdf output. Any pointers appreciated, or just whether
it is possible or not.

I am running emacs 24.3.1 with org mode 7.9.3f.

Thanks,

Johnny

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-maxima.html

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-21 23:07 ` Rüdiger Sonderfeld
From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld @ 2013-11-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: yggdrasil

TeX output is a feature of Maxima.  See
(info "(maxima) Functions and Variables for TeX Output")

E.g.

#+name: solve-maxima
#+header: :exports results
#+begin_src maxima :results output
  tex(exp(-x)/x);
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: solve-maxima
: $${{e^ {- x }}\over{x}}$$

@ 2013-11-21 23:33   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-21 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rüdiger Sonderfeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, yggdrasil

Changing ":results output" to ":results output latex" in Rüdiger's nice
example below would probably be an improvement.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-22 17:05     ` yggdrasil
From: yggdrasil @ 2013-11-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Rüdiger Sonderfeld, emacs-orgmode

Thanks, this does answer my initial question and works good enough to
enable latex export!

Even better would be if it's possible to mimic imaxima behaviour which
is (I think) to directly process the resulting latex code and
(temporarily?) store it as an image to display the pretty-printed
equations directly inline in the org-buffer (which will make it export
as html better I guess as the latex output doesn't seem to be recognised
when exporting to html).

All the best,

Johnny

@ 2013-11-23 16:12       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yggdrasil; +Cc: Rüdiger Sonderfeld, emacs-orgmode

<yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> Thanks, this does answer my initial question and works good enough to
> enable latex export!
>
> Even better would be if it's possible to mimic imaxima behaviour which
> is (I think) to directly process the resulting latex code and
> (temporarily?) store it as an image to display the pretty-printed
> equations directly inline in the org-buffer (which will make it export
> as html better I guess as the latex output doesn't seem to be recognised
> when exporting to html).

You would switch from ":results latex" to ":results raw", in which case
the latex will be inserted directly into the Org-mode buffer, and
org-mode's existing pretty display functionality may be used to view the
equations inline and should work for export to HTML as well.

Alternately, if you really want to get fancy you could use noweb
expansion (see the manual) to insert the results of the imaxima code
block into a latex code block, and then use the existing latex code
block functionality to convert the imaxima output to images of different
types depending on the export target [1].

Best,

[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-LaTeX.html#sec-4-3

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-26 21:53         ` yggdrasil
From: yggdrasil @ 2013-11-26 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Rüdiger Sonderfeld, emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>
>> [... how to use maxima code from org-mode and display results inline
>> in the org-buffer ...]
>
> You would switch from ":results latex" to ":results raw", in which case
> the latex will be inserted directly into the Org-mode buffer, and
> org-mode's existing pretty display functionality may be used to view the
> equations inline and should work for export to HTML as well.
>
> Alternately, if you really want to get fancy you could use noweb
> expansion (see the manual) to insert the results of the imaxima code
> block into a latex code block, and then use the existing latex code
> block functionality to convert the imaxima output to images of different
> types depending on the export target [1].

Many thanks for all the help! I have now figured out how to use maxima
from org-mode source blocks and display the results as pretty printed
equations online. To remember, I made a small summarising example file,
attached below for posteriority.

All the best,

Johnny

[-- Attachment #2: orgmaxima_example.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 1441 bytes --]

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-27  8:54           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-11-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yggdrasil; +Cc: Rüdiger Sonderfeld, emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

Hello Johnny,

yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk writes:

> Many thanks for all the help! I have now figured out how to use maxima
> from org-mode source blocks and display the results as pretty printed
> equations online. To remember, I made a small summarising example file,
> attached below for posteriority.

This is very useful, thanks a lot. A couple comments and questions on
your example file (which would be a nice addition to worg).

It would be useful to know more about maxima and how to enable it with
babel (a link to existing documentation, if there is any, would be
great).

In my setup, the previewing latex fragment keybinding is "C-c C-x C-l",
not "C-c C-x C-x".

I tried previewing the fragment, but I got the error:

,----
| Failed to create dvi file from /var/folders/68/fvntfrw92y50gkk_67rkhsfw0000gn/T/orgtex16220cbr.tex
`----

Looking at the tex file and the log file, it seems that the tex files is
to be processed by xelatex, but the command called seems to be pdfTeX. I
probably have something misconfigured, but I don't know what it is. Any
suggestion?

Finally, and it's a nitpick: breaking lines in the middle of (info ...)
links prevents following them using "C-x C-e".

Thanks again,

Alan

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-27 23:10             ` yggdrasil
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: yggdrasil @ 2013-11-27 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> This is very useful, thanks a lot. A couple comments and questions on
> your example file (which would be a nice addition to worg).

There is actually already some maxima documentation on worg that got me
started as I was unsure if maxima is supported at all, I have added the
link in the summary. It would probably be good to merge to worg, but I
have no access to it and not time right now to learn how it works. Feel
free to copy paste whatever is useful to amend it though.

> It would be useful to know more about maxima and how to enable it with
> babel (a link to existing documentation, if there is any, would be
> great).

Thanks for the pointer, I have included some more resources I used.

> In my setup, the previewing latex fragment keybinding is "C-c C-x C-l",
> not "C-c C-x C-x".
Sorry, that was a typo!

> I tried previewing the fragment, but I got the error:
>
> ,----
> | Failed to create dvi file from
> /var/folders/68/fvntfrw92y50gkk_67rkhsfw0000gn/T/orgtex16220cbr.tex
> `----
>
> Looking at the tex file and the log file, it seems that the tex files is
> to be processed by xelatex, but the command called seems to be pdfTeX. I
> probably have something misconfigured, but I don't know what it is. Any
> suggestion?

Are you sure you have 'dvipng' installed as mentioned in the manual?
,----
| If you have `dvipng' installed, LaTeX fragments can be processed to
| produce preview images of the typeset expressions:
`----
I have dvipng 1.14 that comes with texlive 2013-3 in F20 which seems to
work fine.

> Finally, and it's a nitpick: breaking lines in the middle of (info ...)
> links prevents following them using "C-x C-e".

Actually, I never used these sort of links myself, thanks for pointing
out how this is done! :) I moved all infolinks to footnotes to avoid the
line breaks.

All the best,

[-- Attachment #2: orgmaxima_example.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 2090 bytes --]

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-28  0:42               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-11-28  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

<yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

>> Finally, and it's a nitpick: breaking lines in the middle of (info ...)
>> links prevents following them using "C-x C-e".
>>
> Actually, I never used these sort of links myself, thanks for pointing
> out how this is done! :) I moved all infolinks to footnotes to avoid the
> line breaks.

Just a clarification: you cannot break the *string* argument but
newlines in other places are fine:

      (info
         "(org) The Spreadsheet")

works fine, but

      (info
         "(org) The
Spreadsheet")

does not: the second string is not the same as the first one, since it
includes a newline. OTOH, you can escape the newline:

      (info
         "(org) The \
Spreadsheet")

works fine.

The point is that all of this follows from the properties of
strings. Just go to the *scratch* buffer and evaluate some
expressions:

(string-equal "a b" "a \
b")

(string-equal "a b" "a
b")
nil

--
Nick

* Re: imaxima babel
@ 2013-11-28  1:09               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-11-28  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yggdrasil; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode

<yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> There is actually already some maxima documentation on worg that got me
> started as I was unsure if maxima is supported at all, I have added the
> link in the summary. It would probably be good to merge to worg, but I
> have no access to it and not time right now to learn how it works. Feel
> free to copy paste whatever is useful to amend it though.

I added this to ob-doc-maxima. It might require some editing.

You can learn how to edit Worg here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-git.html

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Cannot generate latex preview images (Was:  imaxima babel)
@ 2013-11-30 10:19               ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-11-30 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yggdrasil; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> I tried previewing the fragment, but I got the error:
>>
>> ,----
>> | Failed to create dvi file from
>> /var/folders/68/fvntfrw92y50gkk_67rkhsfw0000gn/T/orgtex16220cbr.tex
>> `----
>>
>> Looking at the tex file and the log file, it seems that the tex files is
>> to be processed by xelatex, but the command called seems to be pdfTeX. I
>> probably have something misconfigured, but I don't know what it is. Any
>> suggestion?
>>
> Are you sure you have 'dvipng' installed as mentioned in the manual?
> ,----
> | If you have `dvipng' installed, LaTeX fragments can be processed to
> | produce preview images of the typeset expressions:
> `----
> I have dvipng 1.14 that comes with texlive 2013-3 in F20 which seems to
> work fine.

I do have dvipng installed, but the problem seems to come before that.

If I have a org buffer with the single following line:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
$$\alpha$$
#+END_SRC

If I try to preview the image, I get this error:

,----
| Creating images for buffer...1
| Failed to create dvi file from /var/folders/68/fvntfrw92y50gkk_67rkhsfw0000gn/T/orgtex292450MA.tex
`----

If I look at that tex file I see this:

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[usenames]{color}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
% Package fixltx2e omitted
\usepackage{graphicx}
% Package longtable omitted
% Package float omitted
% Package wrapfig omitted
% Package rotating omitted
\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
% Package hyperref omitted
\tolerance=1000
\pagestyle{empty}             % do not remove
% The settings below are copied from fullpage.sty
\setlength{\textwidth}{\paperwidth}
\addtolength{\textwidth}{-3cm}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{1.5cm}
\addtolength{\oddsidemargin}{-2.54cm}
\setlength{\evensidemargin}{\oddsidemargin}
\setlength{\textheight}{\paperheight}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-\headheight}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-\headsep}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-\footskip}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-3cm}
\setlength{\topmargin}{1.5cm}
\addtolength{\topmargin}{-2.54cm}
\begin{document}
$$\alpha$$
\end{document}
#+END_SRC

This file can be compiled using xelatex (because of the xltxtra
package). However it seems that org tries to compile it with something
else, as seen in the log file:

,----
> [...]
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
| Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo
| File: size10.clo 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
| )
| \c@part=\count79
| \c@section=\count80
| \c@subsection=\count81
| \c@subsubsection=\count82
| \c@paragraph=\count83
| \c@subparagraph=\count84
| \c@figure=\count85
| \c@table=\count86
| \abovecaptionskip=\skip41
| \belowcaptionskip=\skip42
| \bibindent=\dimen102
| )
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/color.sty
| Package: color 2005/11/14 v1.0j Standard LaTeX Color (DPC)
|
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/color.cfg
| File: color.cfg 2007/01/18 v1.5 color configuration of teTeX/TeXLive
| )
| Package color Info: Driver file: dvips.def on input line 130.
|
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/dvips.def
| File: dvips.def 1999/02/16 v3.0i Driver-dependant file (DPC,SPQR)
| )
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/dvipsnam.def
| File: dvipsnam.def 1999/02/16 v3.0i Driver-dependant file (DPC,SPQR)
| ))
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/xltxtra/xltxtra.sty
| Package: xltxtra 2010/09/20 v0.5e Improvements for the "XeLaTeX" format
|
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/ifluatex.sty
| Package: ifluatex 2010/03/01 v1.3 Provides the ifluatex switch (HO)
| Package ifluatex Info: LuaTeX not detected.
| )
| (/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/ifxetex/ifxetex.sty
| Package: ifxetex 2010/09/12 v0.6 Provides ifxetex conditional
| )
| !
|  ********************************************
|  * XeTeX is required to compile this document.
|  * Sorry!
|  ********************************************.
| \RequireXeTeX ...********************************}
|                                                   \endgroup \fi
| l.26 \RequireXeTeX
|
| ?
| ! Emergency stop.
| \RequireXeTeX ...********************************}
|                                                   \endgroup \fi
| l.26 \RequireXeTeX
|
| End of file on the terminal!
|

| Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
|  580 strings out of 493316
|  8570 string characters out of 6137931
|  55188 words of memory out of 5000000
|  4098 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+600000
|  3640 words of font info for 14 fonts, out of 8000000 for 9000
|  957 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
|  23i,0n,19p,237b,36s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,80000s
`----

The reason I have xltxtra is because I add it to the latex packages to
use for export:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "xltxtra" t))
#+END_SRC

I guess this does not play nice with the latex image preview. Is there a
way to only use this package when I exporting latex to pdf?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: Cannot generate latex preview images
@ 2013-11-30 12:49                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-11-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, yggdrasil

Hello,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> The reason I have xltxtra is because I add it to the latex packages to
> use for export:
>
>   (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "xltxtra" t))
                                                         ^^^

With this t, you are asking to use it also for snippets.  See
`org-latex-packages-alist' for more information.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Cannot generate latex preview images
@ 2013-12-02 10:09                   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-12-02 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, yggdrasil

n.goaziou@gmail.com writes:

> Hello,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> The reason I have xltxtra is because I add it to the latex packages to
>> use for export:
>>
>>   (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "xltxtra" t))
>                                                          ^^^
>
> With this t, you are asking to use it also for snippets.  See
> `org-latex-packages-alist' for more information.

Thanks a lot, it's working great now.

Alan