emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Newbie question on sorting TODO items
@ 2009-07-04 18:00 Thomas S. Dye
  2009-07-04 19:19 ` Matthew Lundin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-07-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aloha all,

An article from last year "[PATCH 4/5] Add a new sort option, which  
sorts items by todo keyword" describes what I'd like to do in my .org  
files, i.e., sort TODO headlines by the order of the TODO state in the  
TODO sequence.   Given:
#+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) WAITING(w@/!) APPT(a) DELEGATED(l@) |  
DONE(d!) CANCELLED(c@) DEFERRED(f@)
I'd like to see DONE, CANCELLED, and DEFERRED down at the bottom and  
TODO, STARTED, WAITING, APPT, and DELEGATED up at the top in sorted  
order.

Is this possible?

All the best,
Tom

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Newbie question on sorting TODO items
  2009-07-04 18:00 Newbie question on sorting TODO items Thomas S. Dye
@ 2009-07-04 19:19 ` Matthew Lundin
  2009-07-04 21:14   ` Thomas S. Dye
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-04 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha all,
>
> An article from last year "[PATCH 4/5] Add a new sort option, which
> sorts items by todo keyword" describes what I'd like to do in my .org
> files, i.e., sort TODO headlines by the order of the TODO state in the
> TODO sequence.   Given:
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) WAITING(w@/!) APPT(a) DELEGATED(l@) |
> DONE(d!) CANCELLED(c@) DEFERRED(f@)
> I'd like to see DONE, CANCELLED, and DEFERRED down at the bottom and
> TODO, STARTED, WAITING, APPT, and DELEGATED up at the top in sorted
> order.
>
> Is this possible?

I believe you are looking for org-sort. If you type C-c ^ o org-mode
will sort your headlines by todos (in the order in which they appear in
your settings).

If you are interested in sorting by TODO in the agenda, you can add
"todo-state-up" to your org-agenda-sorting-strategy.

Best,
Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Newbie question on sorting TODO items
  2009-07-04 19:19 ` Matthew Lundin
@ 2009-07-04 21:14   ` Thomas S. Dye
  2009-07-05 11:34     ` Matthew Lundin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-07-04 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  With C-c ^ o, I get  
"Invalid sorting type `o'".

I'm using org-mode 5.23a with Aquamacs Emacs 1.8.

Tom

On Jul 4, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> An article from last year "[PATCH 4/5] Add a new sort option, which
>> sorts items by todo keyword" describes what I'd like to do in my .org
>> files, i.e., sort TODO headlines by the order of the TODO state in  
>> the
>> TODO sequence.   Given:
>> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) STARTED(s) WAITING(w@/!) APPT(a) DELEGATED(l@) |
>> DONE(d!) CANCELLED(c@) DEFERRED(f@)
>> I'd like to see DONE, CANCELLED, and DEFERRED down at the bottom and
>> TODO, STARTED, WAITING, APPT, and DELEGATED up at the top in sorted
>> order.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> I believe you are looking for org-sort. If you type C-c ^ o org-mode
> will sort your headlines by todos (in the order in which they appear  
> in
> your settings).
>
> If you are interested in sorting by TODO in the agenda, you can add
> "todo-state-up" to your org-agenda-sorting-strategy.
>
> Best,
> Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Newbie question on sorting TODO items
  2009-07-04 21:14   ` Thomas S. Dye
@ 2009-07-05 11:34     ` Matthew Lundin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-05 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Matthew Lundin, emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha Matt,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  With C-c ^ o, I get
> "Invalid sorting type `o'".
>
> I'm using org-mode 5.23a with Aquamacs Emacs 1.8.
>

My guess is that this feature was not yet present in 5.23a. To sort by
todo, you'll probably want to install the current distribution of
org-mode (6.28):

http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-2

Best,
Matt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-07-05 11:35 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-07-04 18:00 Newbie question on sorting TODO items Thomas S. Dye
2009-07-04 19:19 ` Matthew Lundin
2009-07-04 21:14   ` Thomas S. Dye
2009-07-05 11:34     ` Matthew Lundin

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).