* Can org.el replace planner?
@ 2006-06-19 21:29 Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-06-19 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Currently I'm using planner as my daily tasks organizer. I'd like to
try org.el, but I can't figure out what is it good for? So here is the
question: can org.el replace planner? Could you give a scenario where
org fits?

Thanks a lot.
--
Leon

* Re: Can org.el replace planner?
@ 2006-06-20 11:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-06-20 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Currently I'm using planner as my daily tasks organizer. I'd like to
> try org.el, but I can't figure out what is it good for? So here is the
> question: can org.el replace planner? Could you give a scenario where
> org fits?

I've been using planner (and emacs-wiki then muse) for nearly two
years.  I'm now using org.el and the switch was quite easy.

I think one of the advantages of org.el over planner is that each task
is a *heading* so that you can store additionnal information under the
task.  With planner, this additionnal informations are stored within
the project file -- reaching them is not as straightforward as it is
with org.el.

More generally, org.el appears to be more flexible, so you can adapt
it to whatever kind of project do you have.

Best,

--
Bastien

* Re: Can org.el replace planner?
@ 2006-06-20 16:20   ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-06-20 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Currently I'm using planner as my daily tasks organizer. I'd like to
>> try org.el, but I can't figure out what is it good for? So here is the
>> question: can org.el replace planner? Could you give a scenario where
>> org fits?
>
> I've been using planner (and emacs-wiki then muse) for nearly two
> years.  I'm now using org.el and the switch was quite easy.
>
> I think one of the advantages of org.el over planner is that each task
> is a *heading* so that you can store additionnal information under the
> task.  With planner, this additionnal informations are stored within
> the project file -- reaching them is not as straightforward as it is
> with org.el.
>
> More generally, org.el appears to be more flexible, so you can adapt
> it to whatever kind of project do you have.
>
> Best,

Thanks, Bastien. I think I'll start using org.el to find out more.

--
Leon