* clocksum and archived trees
@ 2009-03-19 20:12 Jota Pin
From: Jota Pin @ 2009-03-19 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I tried to figure out how to avoid having archived subtrees to contribute to
the sum of times showed with "Display Times" c-c c-x c-d.

I could not find an option for that, is-it implemented?

Thanks,
Jota.

* Re: clocksum and archived trees
@ 2009-03-19 21:03 ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2009-03-19 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jota Pin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jota Pin <jotapin2005@yahoo.fr> writes:
> I tried to figure out how to avoid having archived subtrees to contribute to
> the sum of times showed with "Display Times" c-c c-x c-d.

I've been wondering something along the same lines myself.  When
switching to column view via C-c C-x C-c it can sometimes take a long
time because of archive items.

I haven't gotten around to looking into this yet.  Maybe I'll try to fix
this tomorrow when I get some time.

--
Peter Jones - 303-669-2637
pmade inc.  - http://pmade.com

* Re: [Bulk] Re: clocksum and archived trees
@ 2009-03-20  2:59   ` Jota Pin
From: Jota Pin @ 2009-03-20  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Jones; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le jeudi 19 mars 2009, Peter Jones a écrit :
> Jota Pin <jotapin2005@yahoo.fr> writes:
> > I tried to figure out how to avoid having archived subtrees to contribute
> > to the sum of times showed with "Display Times" c-c c-x c-d.
>
> I've been wondering something along the same lines myself.  When
> switching to column view via C-c C-x C-c it can sometimes take a long
> time because of archive items.
>
> I haven't gotten around to looking into this yet.  Maybe I'll try to fix
> this tomorrow when I get some time.

Thanks, this would be great.

Maybe an explanation of the reason to doing so is helpful:

I like to see the time spent per subtree, but at the same time I do want to
keep the archives in their original location: I use sometimes archives tags
to store versions of the same subtree, and of course the clocks must no count
twice there...

Same question for clock tables.

* Re: Re: [Bulk] Re: clocksum and archived trees
@ 2009-03-21 17:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jota Pin; +Cc: Peter Jones, emacs-orgmode

On Mar 20, 2009, at 3:59 AM, Jota Pin wrote:

> Le jeudi 19 mars 2009, Peter Jones a écrit :
>> Jota Pin <jotapin2005@yahoo.fr> writes:
>>> I tried to figure out how to avoid having archived subtrees to
>>> contribute
>>> to the sum of times showed with "Display Times" c-c c-x c-d.
>>
>> I've been wondering something along the same lines myself.  When
>> switching to column view via C-c C-x C-c it can sometimes take a long
>> time because of archive items.

Hi Peter, this case makes sense, for speed, and I have added
a variable org-columns-skip-archived-trees, with default t.

>> I haven't gotten around to looking into this yet.  Maybe I'll try
>> to fix
>> this tomorrow when I get some time.
>
> Thanks, this would be great.
>
> Maybe an explanation of the reason to doing so is helpful:
>
> I like to see the time spent per subtree, but at the same time I do
> want to
> keep the archives in their original location: I use sometimes
> archives tags
> to store versions of the same subtree, and of course the clocks must
> no count
> twice there...

Hi Jota,

for this case I am not sure.  The purpose or archiving is to mark a tree
as finished, but clearly any clocking times from this tree should still
contribute.  I see that you are using ARCHIVE to mark a second version
of a given tree.  If you need multiple versions, why don't you keep
older versions in another file or so?

Are there more opinions about this?  Maybe I am seeing it wrong.....

- Carsten