* [OT] How to save and restore window and frame layout and position of windows on monitor - session management
@ 2011-10-03  9:13 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-10-03  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

this is slightly off-topic, but I rather try it here first: I would like to
save my window and frame layout and restore it after re-starting emacs. I
have the buffers auto saved, and that is working. But I don't get my head
around the session management. I found the website
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SessionManagement  but each time I look at
it, I get more confused and lost.

So - does somebody use session management (I am at the moment only
interested to getting back the layout of the different frames in a window,
and all open windows restored) and could share some insight and code
snippets for a confused org-user to achieve this?

Thanks,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [OT] How to save and restore window and frame layout and position of windows on monitor - session management
@ 2011-10-03 15:52 ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-10-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Discovered this a few days ago: Will it solve your "proble"--which
seems to be "saving state"; well, maybe, if you play with the code a
little:

;;; perspective.el --- switch between named "perspectives" of the editor

;; Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Nathan Weizenbaum <nex342@gmail.com>
;;
;; Licensed under the same terms as Emacs.

;; Author: Nathan Weizenbaum

;;; Commentary:

;; This package provides tagged workspaces in Emacs, similar to
;; workspaces in windows managers such as Awesome and XMonad (and
;; somewhat similar to multiple desktops in Gnome or Spaces in OS X).

;; perspective.el provides multiple workspaces (or "perspectives") for
;; each Emacs frame.  This makes it easy to work on many separate projects
;; without getting lost in all the buffers.

;; Each perspective is composed of a window configuration and a set of
;; buffers.  Switching to a perspective activates its window
;; configuration, and when in a perspective only its buffers are
;; available by default.

@ 2011-10-03 16:45   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-10-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Also, there are these commands which may be what is sought (to "save state"):
** "Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
desktop-change-dir 	desktop-clear
desktop-read 	desktop-remove
desktop-revert 	desktop-save
desktop-save-in-desktop-dir 	desktop-save-mode

@ 2011-10-03 17:43   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

on Mon Oct 03 2011, brian powell <briangpowellms-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> * Discovered this a few days ago: Will it solve your "proble"--which
> seems to be "saving state"; well, maybe, if you play with the code a
> little:
>
> ;;; perspective.el --- switch between named "perspectives" of the editor
>
> ;; Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Nathan Weizenbaum <nex342@gmail.com>
> ;;
> ;; Licensed under the same terms as Emacs.
>
> ;; Author: Nathan Weizenbaum
>
> ;;; Commentary:
>
> ;; This package provides tagged workspaces in Emacs, similar to
> ;; workspaces in windows managers such as Awesome and XMonad (and
> ;; somewhat similar to multiple desktops in Gnome or Spaces in OS X).

Aaagh, not another one!  Now I have another package to evaluate.  Can't
the community settle on one solution to this problem?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: [OT] How to save and restore window and frame layout and position of windows on monitor - session management
@ 2011-10-04  9:22     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-10-04  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> on Mon Oct 03 2011, brian powell <briangpowellms-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * Discovered this a few days ago: Will it solve your "proble"--which
> > seems to be "saving state"; well, maybe, if you play with the code a
> > little:
> >
> > ;;; perspective.el --- switch between named "perspectives" of the editor
> >
> > ;; Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Nathan Weizenbaum <nex342@gmail.com>
> > ;;
> > ;; Licensed under the same terms as Emacs.
> >
> > ;; Author: Nathan Weizenbaum
> >
> > ;;; Commentary:
> >
> > ;; This package provides tagged workspaces in Emacs, similar to
> > ;; workspaces in windows managers such as Awesome and XMonad (and
> > ;; somewhat similar to multiple desktops in Gnome or Spaces in OS X).
>
> Aaagh, not another one!  Now I have another package to evaluate.  Can't
> the community settle on one solution to this problem?
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows

Thanks for your replies -  I'll look into WorkgroupsForWindows as it seems
tho offer more options then the other and a better manual.

I am already using desktop-save, but I have the feeling that it sometimes
does not work.

Cheers and thanks,

Rainer

@ 2011-10-04 19:13       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-04 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I am already using desktop-save, but I have the feeling that it sometimes
> does not work.

Just to note (and yes, this is very OT, so I won't say more):

WorkgroupsForWindows solves a different problem than desktop-save.  In fact,
there are three aspects to the problem, best addressed by three different
packages:

  session.el      -- Remembers:
                      - the values of global variables (like history rings)
                      - where point and mark were in re-opened files
                      - gives you a C-x C-/ binding: pop to last change

  workgroups.el   -- Remembers:
                      - one or more window configurations per-frame
                      - these can be saved and reloaded
                      - does *not* reload files, or rerun apps,
                        to populate those windows
                      - lets you have a "base" and "active" state for
                        each named configuration, making it easy to
                        revert back to the base state for each

  desktop.el      -- Remembers:
                      - What files were open, and which apps were running,
                        and tries to re-open and re-run them so that Emacs
                        looks just like it did when you exited.

I use the first two, and I've used the third, but I find that I prefer
beginning with a fresh start each time I run Emacs, rather than seeing again
all the hundreds of files I had open yesterday.

John

* Re: [OT] How to save and restore window and frame layout and position of windows on monitor - session management
@ 2011-10-05  8:26         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-10-05  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode