* temporary directory for export
@ 2012-12-05 13:35 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-05 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have found how to set a temporary directory for org-babel export files
(using org-babel-temporary-directory), but I cannot find how to specify
that, by default (i.e., unless specified with a "file" option), files
should be exported to a temporary directory.

My motivation for this is that I keep a single folder with many org-mode
files, some of them for presentations, papers, or letters. I regularly
have to go in there and get rid of all the .tex, .log, .pdf, .aux, etc.,
that accumulate.

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: temporary directory for export
@ 2012-12-24  8:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I have found how to set a temporary directory for org-babel export files
> (using org-babel-temporary-directory), but I cannot find how to specify
> that, by default (i.e., unless specified with a "file" option), files
> should be exported to a temporary directory.
>
> My motivation for this is that I keep a single folder with many org-mode
> files, some of them for presentations, papers, or letters. I regularly
> have to go in there and get rid of all the .tex, .log, .pdf, .aux, etc.,
> that accumulate.

Yep, I see how this would be useful.  I'll add this on my TODO list.

Eric, is it something that you would find useful?

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: temporary directory for export
@ 2012-12-26 16:39   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-26 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> I have found how to set a temporary directory for org-babel export files
>> (using org-babel-temporary-directory), but I cannot find how to specify
>> that, by default (i.e., unless specified with a "file" option), files
>> should be exported to a temporary directory.
>>
>> My motivation for this is that I keep a single folder with many org-mode
>> files, some of them for presentations, papers, or letters. I regularly
>> have to go in there and get rid of all the .tex, .log, .pdf, .aux, etc.,
>> that accumulate.
>
> Yep, I see how this would be useful.  I'll add this on my TODO list.

An alternative would be to publish to such a temporary directory, then
have a post-publish command to run to finish building the document. This
is what I would have favoured before the asynchronous exporter (as
building may take a while so would be better done with an external
command), but now I would be very happy with using a temporary directory
for export (defaulting to the directory where the org file lives).

Alan