* babel and computing a number of months
@ 2014-06-02  7:25 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-06-02  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I need to work with dates for some code/scripts I'm writing in
a document making heavy usage of source blocks and babel evaluation. The
good news is that I have access to many programming languages, so the
bad news is I don't know which one to choose. The problem I want to
solve is the following: I want to compute the number of months between
march 1st, 2014, and the beginning of the current month (so right now
it's 3, but on may 31st it was 2). Is there an easy way to do it in
a babel supported language? And is there an easy way to do it in
emacs-lisp?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: babel and computing a number of months
@ 2014-06-02  8:13 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-06-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt writes:

> I need to work with dates for some code/scripts I'm writing in a
> document making heavy usage of source blocks and babel evaluation. The
> good news is that I have access to many programming languages, so the
> bad news is I don't know which one to choose. The problem I want to
> solve is the following: I want to compute the number of months between
> march 1st, 2014, and the beginning of the current month (so right now
> it's 3, but on may 31st it was 2). Is there an easy way to do it in a
> babel supported language?

How about Perl with either DateTime::Moonpig:

https://metacpan.org/pod/DateTime::Moonpig

or Time::Piece:

https://metacpan.org/pod/Time::Piece

Alexis.

* Re: babel and computing a number of months
@ 2014-06-02 12:06   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-06-02 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-06-02 10:13, Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Alan Schmitt writes:
>
>> I need to work with dates for some code/scripts I'm writing in a
>> document making heavy usage of source blocks and babel evaluation. The
>> good news is that I have access to many programming languages, so the
>> bad news is I don't know which one to choose. The problem I want to
>> solve is the following: I want to compute the number of months between
>> march 1st, 2014, and the beginning of the current month (so right now
>> it's 3, but on may 31st it was 2). Is there an easy way to do it in a
>> babel supported language?
>
> How about Perl with either DateTime::Moonpig:
>
> https://metacpan.org/pod/DateTime::Moonpig
>
> or Time::Piece:
>
> https://metacpan.org/pod/Time::Piece

Thank you for the suggestion. I finally did a very hackish simple
solution:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun nbmonthssince (year month)
  (let* ((tm (decode-time))
	 (cmonth (nth 4 tm))
	 (cyear (nth 5 tm)))
     (+ (* 12 (- cyear year)) (- cmonth month))))
#+end_src

Alan