* More helm awesomeness
@ 2015-01-18 22:15 Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2015-01-18 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I recently updated my helm install so it includes
helm-org-agenda-headings which is just AWESOME (to me at least). A bit
like org-goto but across all agenda files at once, with goto, refile,
linking built in. If you haven't tried it, I definitely recommend to do so.

Yet I'm missing a few things so far, I would like to have different
datasources differentiated by tags, in particular the ARCHIVE tag, and
the infamous FILETAGS so I cannot just regex my way through as the
current approach does.

This requires making more use of org-ode when filling helm's buffers. My
elisp isn't great but I might be able to get there if the approach is sane.

Any pointers are welcome! If you might help me please read on.

I would like to ask what would be the best approach for better utilising
org infrastructure so I may have separate helm sources for
live/archived, private/work, the clocking history, stuff like that.

The helm-org definition looks deceptively simple:

https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/blob/master/helm-org.el

(defun helm-org-agenda-files-headings ()
(interactive)
(helm :sources (helm-source-org-headings-for-files (org-agenda-files))
:candidate-number-limit 99999
:buffer "*helm org headings*"))

FWICT, in effect helm-org is chewing itself through the buffers:

(defun helm-get-org-candidates-in-file (filename min-depth max-depth
&optional fontify)
(with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect filename)
(and fontify (jit-lock-fontify-now))
(let ((match-fn (if fontify 'match-string 'match-string-no-properties)))
(save-excursion
(goto-char (point-min))
(cl-loop while (re-search-forward org-complex-heading-regexp nil t)
if (let ((num-stars (length (match-string-no-properties 1))))
(and (>= num-stars min-depth) (<= num-stars max-depth)))
collect `(,(funcall match-fn 0) . ,(point-marker)))))))

I don't really get what it does but I have a hunch that org-element or
other org-mode functions could be used to achieve the same with more
precision. That's what I would need to do. FWIW I'd be happy to take a
performance hit.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

* Re: More helm awesomeness
@ 2015-01-19 15:57 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-01-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can do something like this to get just the TODO headlines in the
current buffer. If you make the helm-todo-candidates map over all the
files in (org-agenda-files) you can make it give all the TODO
headings. You can change the match criteria in org-map-entries to be
more selective.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results raw
(defun helm-todo-candidates ()
  (let ((results '()))
    (org-map-entries
     (lambda ()
       (add-to-list 'results
                    (cons
                     (concat (make-string (nth 1 (org-heading-components)) ?*)
                             " TODO "
                             (nth 4 (org-heading-components)))
                     (point-marker))))
     "TODO=\"TODO\"")
    results))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
((** post it . #<marker at 977 in blog.org>) (** work it out . #<marker at 941 in blog.org>))

Now to run helm, there is a subtle point. We need to map the current buffer /before/ running helm, otherwise we will map an empty helm buffer.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun helm-todo ()
  "Helm interface to headlines with TODO status in current buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((candidates (helm-todo-candidates)))
    (setq helm-todo-source '((name . "TODO headlines")
                             (candidates . candidates)
                             (action . (("open" . goto-char)))))
    (helm :sources '(helm-todo-source))))

(helm-todo)

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: More helm awesomeness
@ 2015-01-19 20:46   ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2015-01-19 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

thank you for the fast response! That's more than I had hoped for, I'm
sure I'll get through now. I'll report back when something tangible is
there.

Cheers,

Simon

@ 2015-01-19 21:01     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-01-19 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, John Kitchin

Here is a more advanced function that works on your agenda files: You
run the second one:
M-x helm-query-agenda

and enter your search query in org syntax, e.g. TODO="PREPARATION" will
give you a helm menu of headlines with that TODO state.

I am not that sophisticated a user of org queries like this, so I can't
vouch it works for all of them ;)

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun helm-agenda-candidates (query)
  (let ((results '()))
    (mapc (lambda (f)
      (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect f)
        (org-map-entries
         (lambda ()
           (add-to-list 'results
                        (cons
                         (concat
                          (file-name-nondirectory f) " | "
                          (make-string (nth 1 (org-heading-components)) ?*)
                          " "
                          (org-get-heading))
                         (point-marker))))
         query))) (org-agenda-files))
    results))

(defun helm-query-agenda (query)
  "Helm interface to headlines with TODO status in current buffer."
  (interactive "sQuery: ")
  (let ((candidates (helm-agenda-candidates query)))
    (helm :sources '(((name . "TODO headlines")
                      (candidates . candidates)
                      (action . (("open" . (lambda (m)
                                             (switch-to-buffer (marker-buffer m))
                                             (goto-char m)