Since commit 238d0d1 (Improve consistency for inserting new headlines) a few minor inconsistencies were introduced to heading creation with the control key, A.K.A. org-insert-heading-respect-content. This patch resolves those subtle "bugs". This patch changes org-insert-heading-respect-content so that it: - Creates a new heading even if point is in a plain list (force-heading is set to true, behavior before 238d0d1) - If the previous heading was closed, keep it closed (keeps the previous heading in the state it was before C-RET) It also includes changes for org-insert-todo-heading and the OrgMode manual. Thanks Carsten for making the changes in 238d0d1 for me. With the attached patch, heading creation is now perfect (for me at least ;).