* Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-12 15:09 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-12 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Generally I'm interested in keeping log entries for my Org items for
historical purposes only (so I like to stash them away in a :LOGBOOK:
drawer), but on a day-to-day basis I'm interested in the very latest log
entry; it tells me about the status of the item.  For example, if I've
made a task DELEGATED, the latest log entry usually has the person I've
delegated it to and often a link to the mail message in which I did the
delegation.  So I'd like a feature that would leave the latest log entry
outside the drawer, and always file the previous log entry into the
drawer when I make a new one.

Thoughts?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-12 17:59 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-10-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
> Generally I'm interested in keeping log entries for my Org items for
> historical purposes only (so I like to stash them away in a :LOGBOOK:
> drawer), but on a day-to-day basis I'm interested in the very latest log
> entry; it tells me about the status of the item.  For example, if I've
> made a task DELEGATED, the latest log entry usually has the person I've
> delegated it to and often a link to the mail message in which I did the
> delegation.  So I'd like a feature that would leave the latest log entry
> outside the drawer, and always file the previous log entry into the
> drawer when I make a new one.

I'm currently using something similar with two drawers back-to-back:

:LOGBOOK:
shiny
:END:
:CLOSED:
old cruft
:END:

That means I have to move old stuff by hand from LOGBOOK to CLOSED (what
I really do is move the :END:/:CLOSED: markers normally), but the way
I'm using this it hasn't been too much trouble.

That said, I've been thinking of extending drawers to have "stops", that
is each visibility cycle on a drawer would just pull it out to the next
stop.  Specifically for timestamps there should be some function to
auto-move the stop (current+last week for instance).  Presumably if that
was made into a more general function one could also just keep a certain
number of lines before the stop.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-13  0:55 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-10-13  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Generally I'm interested in keeping log entries for my Org items for
> historical purposes only (so I like to stash them away in a :LOGBOOK:
> drawer), but on a day-to-day basis I'm interested in the very latest log
> entry; it tells me about the status of the item.  For example, if I've
> made a task DELEGATED, the latest log entry usually has the person I've
> delegated it to and often a link to the mail message in which I did the
> delegation.  So I'd like a feature that would leave the latest log entry
> outside the drawer, and always file the previous log entry into the
> drawer when I make a new one.
>
> Thoughts?

I log stuff in :LOGBOOK: with the items reversed so the newest is always
on top.

SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer so I can
see the details for any given task.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-13  6:56   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-13  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I log stuff in :LOGBOOK: with the items reversed so the newest is always on
> top.

> SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer so I can see
> the details for any given task.

Or in that case you should be able to type E in the agenda and see it also.

John

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-13 11:49     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-10-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

>> I log stuff in :LOGBOOK: with the items reversed so the newest is always on
>> top.
>
>> SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer so I can see
>> the details for any given task.
>
> Or in that case you should be able to type E in the agenda and see it
> also.

That doesn't work for me - it skips the drawer.

-Bernt

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-13 12:02       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-13 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bernt and John,

Bernt Hansen wrote:

>>> I log stuff in :LOGBOOK: with the items reversed so the newest is always on
>>> top.
>>
>>> SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer so I can see
>>> the details for any given task.
>>
>> Or in that case you should be able to type E in the agenda and see it
>> also.
>
> That doesn't work for me - it skips the drawer.

Same for me: it skips the drawer.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-23 19:44   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

on Wed Oct 12 2011, Achim Gratz <Stromeko-AT-nexgo.de> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>> Generally I'm interested in keeping log entries for my Org items for
>
>> historical purposes only (so I like to stash them away in a :LOGBOOK:
>> drawer), but on a day-to-day basis I'm interested in the very latest log
>> entry; it tells me about the status of the item.  For example, if I've
>> made a task DELEGATED, the latest log entry usually has the person I've
>> delegated it to and often a link to the mail message in which I did the
>> delegation.  So I'd like a feature that would leave the latest log entry
>> outside the drawer, and always file the previous log entry into the
>> drawer when I make a new one.
>
> I'm currently using something similar with two drawers back-to-back:
>
> :LOGBOOK:
> shiny
> :END:
> :CLOSED:
> old cruft
> :END:
>
> That means I have to move old stuff by hand from LOGBOOK to CLOSED (what
> I really do is move the :END:/:CLOSED: markers normally), but the way
> I'm using this it hasn't been too much trouble.

Yeah... that's really not what I want:

a) because it would be "too much trouble" for me :-)
b) because it would take up screen real-estate to show :LOGBOOK: and
   :END: about which I don't care at all.

> That said, I've been thinking of extending drawers to have "stops", that
> is each visibility cycle on a drawer would just pull it out to the next
> stop.  Specifically for timestamps there should be some function to
> auto-move the stop (current+last week for instance).  Presumably if that
> was made into a more general function one could also just keep a certain
> number of lines before the stop.

That too sounds cool, but really not what I'm after because of the extra
verbosity.  With every item there's information that's "current" and
then there's the change history, and I want to keep the current
information outside the drawer.

--

@ 2011-10-23 19:59   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-23 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

on Wed Oct 12 2011, Bernt Hansen <bernt-AT-norang.ca> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> Generally I'm interested in keeping log entries for my Org items for
>> historical purposes only (so I like to stash them away in a :LOGBOOK:
>> drawer), but on a day-to-day basis I'm interested in the very latest log
>> entry; it tells me about the status of the item.  For example, if I've
>> made a task DELEGATED, the latest log entry usually has the person I've
>> delegated it to and often a link to the mail message in which I did the
>> delegation.  So I'd like a feature that would leave the latest log entry
>> outside the drawer, and always file the previous log entry into the
>> drawer when I make a new one.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I log stuff in :LOGBOOK: with the items reversed so the newest is always
> on top.

Mine are ordered that way too.

> SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer

Actually I think Carsten fixed that
thing-I-thought-was-a-bug-but-you-thought-was-a-feature.  At least it
doesn't do that for me anymore.

> so I can see the details for any given task.

I'm using the new org-agenda-follow-indirect feature with this patch
(http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/1004/)...  and the idea is to
get a somewhat minimal view of the item.  I don't want to open the whole
thing.  But I can understand why nobody else would be calling for this
feature since probably I'm the only one using org-agenda-follow-indirect
ATM.

--

@ 2011-10-23 20:37     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-10-23 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> on Wed Oct 12 2011, Bernt Hansen <bernt-AT-norang.ca> wrote:
>
>> SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer
>
> Actually I think Carsten fixed that
> thing-I-thought-was-a-bug-but-you-thought-was-a-feature.  At least it
> doesn't do that for me anymore.
>
>> so I can see the details for any given task.

This still works for me in Org-mode version 7.7
(release_7.7.447.g77eeb).

-Bernt

* Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
@ 2011-10-23 22:18       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-23 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

on Sun Oct 23 2011, Bernt Hansen <bernt-AT-norang.ca> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> on Wed Oct 12 2011, Bernt Hansen <bernt-AT-norang.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> SPC on a task in the agenda opens the task including the drawer
>>
>> Actually I think Carsten fixed that
>> thing-I-thought-was-a-bug-but-you-thought-was-a-feature.  At least it
>> doesn't do that for me anymore.
>>
>>> so I can see the details for any given task.
>
> This still works for me in Org-mode version 7.7
> (release_7.7.447.g77eeb).

Yeah, but I'm way ahead of that commit.

--

@ 2011-10-23 22:45         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-10-23 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> on Sun Oct 23 2011, Bernt Hansen <bernt-AT-norang.ca> wrote:
>
>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

>>> Actually I think Carsten fixed that
>>> thing-I-thought-was-a-bug-but-you-thought-was-a-feature.  At least it
>>> doesn't do that for me anymore.

>> This still works for me in Org-mode version 7.7
>> (release_7.7.447.g77eeb).
>
> Yeah, but I'm way ahead of that commit.

And where might that be?  origin/master is currently
release_7.7-452-g767f518 so maybe you have local commits in your
history that is changing this behaviour?

-Bernt