* [BUG] formatting at edges of link
@ 2022-07-04  0:41 Tor Kringeland
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2022-07-04  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

For example

  [[normal /italic/ normal]]

formats correctly as a link, but

  [[/italic/]]

doesn't format to italic.  A workaround is to write

  /[[italic]]/

but sometimes the formatting is part of my link names, so it's a bit
annoying to reformat to get correct formatting.

* Re: [BUG] formatting at edges of link
@ 2022-07-04  1:08 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-04  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

> For example
>
>   [[normal /italic/ normal]]
>
> formats correctly as a link, but
>
>   [[/italic/]]
>
> doesn't format to italic.  A workaround is to write
>
>   /[[italic]]/
>
> but sometimes the formatting is part of my link names, so it's a bit
> annoying to reformat to get correct formatting.

All the examples above are not valid links.
Note that Org link consist of link itself and a description:
[[link][description]].

formatted is simply a limitation of our current fontification engine (it
will be changed in future).

Descriptions will be correctly formatted.

[[https://orgmode.org][/italic/]] should work just fine.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [BUG] formatting at edges of link
@ 2022-07-04 13:58   ` Tor Kringeland
From: Tor Kringeland @ 2022-07-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> All the examples above are not valid links.
> Note that Org link consist of link itself and a description:
> [[link][description]].

I was a bit fast in my explanation.  I mean formatting the description,
of course.

> Descriptions will be correctly formatted.
>
> [[https://orgmode.org][/italic/]] should work just fine.

This does not work for me.  "italic" isn't italicized.  But for example

  [[https://orgmode.org][normal /italic/ normal]]
works as expected.  To get what I want in the previous example I have to
write

  /[[https://orgmode.org][italic]]/

* Re: [BUG] formatting at edges of link
@ 2022-07-07  9:36     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tor Kringeland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Tor Kringeland <tor.kringeland@ntnu.no> writes:

>> Descriptions will be correctly formatted.
>>
>> [[https://orgmode.org][/italic/]] should work just fine.
>
> This does not work for me.  "italic" isn't italicized.  But for example

Hmm. You are right.
This problem indeed exists on main.
However, it will be fixed after the ongoing refactoring of our
fontification code.
See https://orgmode.org/list/87ee7c9quk.fsf@localhost.
You can try the new fontification code on
https://github.com/yantar92/org (feature/org-font-lock-element branch)

Best,
Ihor