* org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot
@ 2009-06-17  9:55 d.tchin
From: d.tchin @ 2009-06-17  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I would like to use gnuplot with org-mode tabular function.But I
haven't managed to use it until now.
I would like to submit to you few remarks I have done.

I use GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Microsoft Windows XP OS.
I have installed gnuplot and I can use it with gnuplot-mode.

I tried to follow the tutorial of Eric Schulte but I didn't manage to get a plot of
simple example extracted from the tutorial.

I use these data defined in a file orgplot.org :
#+PLOT: title:"Citas" ind:1 deps:(3) type:2d with:histograms set:"yrange [0:]"
| Sede       | Max cites | H-index |
|------------+-----------+---------|
| Chile      |    257.72 |   21.39 |
| Leeds      |    165.77 |   19.68 |
| São Paolo |     71.00 |   11.50 |
| Stockholm  |    134.19 |   14.33 |
| Morelia    |    257.56 |   17.67 |

When I use org-plot/gnuplot, gnuplot is launched with only the reset command
and emacs is totally freezed. To get back to emacs, I use \C-g command.

I have checked few things :

- org-plot/gnuplot managed to build a temporay file org-plot???? with the following
  data

"Chile"	257.72	21.39
"Leeds"	165.77	19.68
"São Paolo"	71.00	11.50
"Stockholm"	134.19	14.33
"Morelia"	257.56	17.67

- I suppose that org-plot/gnuplot builds a temporary buffer with the instructions
  that will be sent to gnuplot. I checked that *gnuplot* buffer with
  gnuplot-show-gnuplot-buffer. There is only the reset command.

Do you have any idea to solve this problem ?

Regards

Tchin

Découvrez Cocoon et Catpower dans notre sélection musicale folk sur Voila http://musiline.voila.fr

* Re: org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot
@ 2009-06-26  1:30 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-06-26  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.tchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

d.tchin@voila.fr writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use gnuplot with org-mode tabular function.But I
> haven't managed to use it until now.
> I would like to submit to you few remarks I have done.
>
> I use GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Microsoft Windows XP OS.
> I have installed gnuplot and I can use it with gnuplot-mode.
>
> I tried to follow the tutorial of Eric Schulte but I didn't manage to get a plot of
> simple example extracted from the tutorial.
>
> I use these data defined in a file orgplot.org :
> #+PLOT: title:"Citas" ind:1 deps:(3) type:2d with:histograms set:"yrange [0:]"
> | Sede       | Max cites | H-index |
> |------------+-----------+---------|
> | Chile      |    257.72 |   21.39 |
> | Leeds      |    165.77 |   19.68 |
> | São Paolo |     71.00 |   11.50 |
> | Stockholm  |    134.19 |   14.33 |
> | Morelia    |    257.56 |   17.67 |
>

> When I use org-plot/gnuplot, gnuplot is launched with only the reset command
> and emacs is totally freezed. To get back to emacs, I use \C-g command.

Hmm, it is not clear to me what is happening here.  It is possible that
the problem is somehow related to running on a windows machine, as I
have only personally tested org-plot on linux and Mac OS's.

The only two things I can think of at the moment are
1. the reset command is freezing on your machine, you could test this
   out by starting up a gnuplot comint buffer and entering the "reset"
   command
2. for some reason the script is not being set to the correct value, you
   could test this by adding the following line

      (message "script is %s" script)

   right after line 263 in lisp/org-plot.el, then reloading that
   function (with C-M-x) and running org-plot-gnuplot again, checking
   the message buffer to see the contents of the script variable.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  If I find time I may re-write org-plot
to use org-babel (see any of my other recent emails for more information
on org-babel) which could eliminate this problem.

Please do let me know the results of looking into the above suggestions,
or if you have any ideas breakthroughs.

Thanks -- Eric

> I have checked few things :
>
> - org-plot/gnuplot managed to build a temporay file org-plot???? with the following
>   data
>
> "Chile"	257.72	21.39
> "Leeds"	165.77	19.68
> "São Paolo"	71.00	11.50
> "Stockholm"	134.19	14.33
> "Morelia"	257.56	17.67

That looks right

> - I suppose that org-plot/gnuplot builds a temporary buffer with the instructions
>   that will be sent to gnuplot. I checked that *gnuplot* buffer with
>   gnuplot-show-gnuplot-buffer. There is only the reset command.

That makes sense, it is still possible that the entire command is being
constructed, but that Emacs is freezing before anything after the
"reset" line are evaluated and dropped into the *gnuplot* buffer.  The
above `message' statement should resolve whether this is the case.

@ 2009-06-26  7:43 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-06-26  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.tchin, Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--- Ven 26/6/09, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> d.tchin@voila.fr writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to use gnuplot with org-mode tabular
> > function.But I haven't managed to use it until now.
> > I use GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on
> > Microsoft Windows XP OS.
[...]
> > When I use org-plot/gnuplot, gnuplot is launched with
> > only the reset command
> > and emacs is totally freezed. To get back to emacs, I
> > use \C-g command.

When I tried Emacs 22.2 it frozen.

Now I use Emacs 23.0.94
   you can download 23.0.95 from
   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/
   ;-)

and Emacs 23.0.  doesn't freeze anymore. But I still
have no output from gnuplot.
To be sincere I gave it up.

cheers,

Giovanni

* Re: org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot
@ 2009-06-29 22:05 d.tchin
From: d.tchin @ 2009-06-29 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Thank you for your help.

1°) I try to use comint buffer and to launch few commands. I don't
    really understand the way comint works but it seems that each
    time that I use a command, there is a freeze, and to access
    back to the emacs  buffer I have to use \C-g several times.

2°) I put the instruction you suggested. I try to use org-plot/gnuplot
    and I have the following output on message buffer:

OVERVIEW
org-plot/gnuplot
CHILDREN
script is reset
set title 'Citas'
set yrange [0:]
progn: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (line) (block add-to-script (setf script (format "%s
%s" script line)))), 2
Mark set

Thanks

> [...]
> >
> > - org-plot/gnuplot managed to build a temporay file org-plot???? with the following
> > data
> >
> > "Chile" 257.72 21.39
> > "Leeds" 165.77 19.68
> > "São Paolo" 71.00 11.50
> > "Stockholm" 134.19 14.33
> > "Morelia" 257.56 17.67
> >

> That looks right
>

> > - I suppose that org-plot/gnuplot builds a temporary buffer with the instructions
> > that will be sent to gnuplot. I checked that *gnuplot* buffer with
> > gnuplot-show-gnuplot-buffer. There is only the reset command.
> >

> That makes sense, it is still possible that the entire command is being
> constructed, but that Emacs is freezing before anything after the
> "reset" line are evaluated and dropped into the *gnuplot* buffer. The
> above `message' statement should resolve whether this is the case.
>

> > Do you have any idea to solve this problem ?

Retrouvez les meilleurs titres de Michael Jackson sur http://musiline.voila.fr/player/createtag/935918

* Re: org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot
@ 2009-06-30  1:14 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-06-30  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.tchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

d.tchin@voila.fr writes:

> Hi
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> 1°) I try to use comint buffer and to launch few commands. I don't
>     really understand the way comint works but it seems that each
>     time that I use a command, there is a freeze, and to access
>     back to the emacs  buffer I have to use \C-g several times.

Hi,

Given the above, it sounds like the problem lies in either gnuplot or
gnuplot-mode.  It may be worthwhile testing out the gnuplot command
directly from a terminal (if it doesn't work there it won't work
anywhere else).

> 2°) I put the instruction you suggested. I try to use org-plot/gnuplot
>     and I have the following output on message buffer:

Since the problem seems to lie upstream from org-plot, please
ignore/undo the second instructions I sent in the previous email.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe the maintainer of gnuplot-mode[1]
could be of more help.

Best -- Eric

> [...]
>> >
>> > - org-plot/gnuplot managed to build a temporay file org-plot???? with the following
>> > data
>> >
>> > "Chile" 257.72 21.39
>> > "Leeds" 165.77 19.68
>> > "São Paolo" 71.00 11.50
>> > "Stockholm" 134.19 14.33
>> > "Morelia" 257.56 17.67
>> >

>> That looks right
>>

>> > - I suppose that org-plot/gnuplot builds a temporary buffer with the instructions
>> > that will be sent to gnuplot. I checked that *gnuplot* buffer with
>> > gnuplot-show-gnuplot-buffer. There is only the reset command.
>> >

>> That makes sense, it is still possible that the entire command is being
>> constructed, but that Emacs is freezing before anything after the
>> "reset" line are evaluated and dropped into the *gnuplot* buffer. The
>> above `message' statement should resolve whether this is the case.
>>

>> > Do you have any idea to solve this problem ?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/gnuplot-mode.html