* [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-04 16:35 Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi,

As I fix bugs and address concerns raised on the mailing list I often
write small snippets of Org-mode text to demonstrate features and
exercise specific behaviors.  I've been compiling these examples into a
single massive scraps.org file which I've finally got around to
publishing.

This is available in
| html | http://eschulte.github.com/org-scraps/         |
| rss  | http://eschulte.github.com/org-scraps/atom.xml |
| git  | https://github.com/eschulte/org-scraps         |

I thought this might be useful for those who would like the occasional
Babel example to puzzle over, or as a way to find working examples of
specific behaviors -- e.g., text searching for keywords in the html file
should easily turn up related examples.

Hope this is useful and or fun, I will continue to update it as the
scraps.org file grows.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-05  8:29 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-09-05  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I fix bugs and address concerns raised on the mailing list I often
> write small snippets of Org-mode text to demonstrate features and
> exercise specific behaviors.  I've been compiling these examples into a
> single massive scraps.org file which I've finally got around to
> publishing.
>
> This is available in
> | html | http://eschulte.github.com/org-scraps/         |
> | rss  | http://eschulte.github.com/org-scraps/atom.xml |
> | git  | https://github.com/eschulte/org-scraps         |
>
> I thought this might be useful for those who would like the occasional
> Babel example to puzzle over, or as a way to find working examples of
> specific behaviors -- e.g., text searching for keywords in the html file
> should easily turn up related examples.

Thanks Eric - that looks very useful.

Just as a sideline: would it be possible, to use this file to test babel (on
a high level)?, i.e. collect all results and compare them with previous sets
of results?

Especially, as this file is high-level and contains a whole range of
"examples for the real world", I think that might be useful. It would
definitely not be usable t pinpoint errors, but at identify unintended side
effects. And if this could be done by the user to test .emacs configuration
settings, that would be really great.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Hope this is useful and or fun, I will continue to update it as the
> scraps.org file grows.
>
> Cheers -- Eric
>
> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-05 16:54   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-05 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Rainer,

> Just as a sideline: would it be possible, to use this file to test babel (on
> a high level)?, i.e. collect all results and compare them with previous sets
> of results?

Two problems I see with running these examples in a single large block

1. I'm not sure how to collect all of the results, both of the two
   options that occur to me
   - mapping over each example and evaluating the first code block or
   - exporting to some backend and checking the resulting export file
   would either leave out some results or possibly be very brittle to
   small changes (e.g., changes in the exporter backend)

2. executing the whole set would require a wide range of languages be
   installed on the users system many of which most people would never
   use

> Especially, as this file is high-level and contains a whole range of
> "examples for the real world", I think that might be useful. It would
> definitely not be usable t pinpoint errors, but at identify unintended side
> effects.

I do agree that this collection holds great promise as fodder for Babel
unit tests (unit tests which are sorely needed).  Each example could be
wrapped in an ert test method and then one-by-one copied over into the
Org-mode test suite.  This should be a fairly easy way to greatly
increase Babel's test suite coverage -- and most importantly it would be
explicitly testing topics that have arisen previously on the mailing
list so are of importance to users.

> And if this could be done by the user to test .emacs configuration
> settings, that would be really great.

That's a good idea.  Simply running the Org-mode test suite is a good
way for users to test the sanity of their local config.

Best -- Eric

--

@ 2011-09-06  8:26     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-09-06  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> > Just as a sideline: would it be possible, to use this file to test babel
> (on
> > a high level)?, i.e. collect all results and compare them with previous
> sets
> > of results?
> >

> Two problems I see with running these examples in a single large block
>
> 1. I'm not sure how to collect all of the results, both of the two
>   options that occur to me
>   - mapping over each example and evaluating the first code block or

Probably would be the better solution, and also just skip tests for which
the languages are not installed.

>   - exporting to some backend and checking the resulting export file
>   would either leave out some results or possibly be very brittle to
>   small changes (e.g., changes in the exporter backend)

This might be actually be an advantage - if changes are detected, the
exported file can be evaluated visually and added to the "aceptable
results", either generally or for a user.

> 2. executing the whole set would require a wide range of languages be
>   installed on the users system many of which most people would never
>   use

Point taken - I haven't considered that.

> > Especially, as this file is high-level and contains a whole range of
> > "examples for the real world", I think that might be useful. It would
> > definitely not be usable t pinpoint errors, but at identify unintended
> side
> > effects.
>
> I do agree that this collection holds great promise as fodder for Babel
> unit tests (unit tests which are sorely needed).  Each example could be
> wrapped in an ert test method and then one-by-one copied over into the
> Org-mode test suite.  This should be a fairly easy way to greatly
> increase Babel's test suite coverage -- and most importantly it would be
> explicitly testing topics that have arisen previously on the mailing
> list so are of importance to users.

Exactly.

> > And if this could be done by the user to test .emacs configuration
> > settings, that would be really great.
> >

> That's a good idea.  Simply running the Org-mode test suite is a good
> way for users to test the sanity of their local config.

Yes - I have a few times run into problems due to my configuration file and
only realized it later - if there would be ab org file which I could use to
test easily my configuration directly after making the changes, life would
have been much easier for me. This would also be useful for questions on the
mailing list and for a kind of "quality control" for published configs on
the web.

> Best -- Eric

Cheers,

Rainer

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rainer
> >

> >> Hope this is useful and or fun, I will continue to update it as the
> >> scraps.org file grows.
> >>
> >> Cheers -- Eric
> >>
> >> --
> >> Eric Schulte
> >> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/
> >>

> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-06 15:16       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Rainer,

>>   - exporting to some backend and checking the resulting export file
>>   would either leave out some results or possibly be very brittle to
>>   small changes (e.g., changes in the exporter backend)
>>

> This might be actually be an advantage - if changes are detected, the
> exported file can be evaluated visually and added to the "aceptable
> results", either generally or for a user.

Makes sense.  Well, this process shouldn't be difficult, you could
simply export scraps.org to say scraps.html at a time when you know that
your config is working (you may have to edit parts of scraps.org).  You
can then save the resulting scraps.html file, and in the future you can
re-export scraps.org and compare the results with your reserved
scraps.html using the diff utility.  If you see more differences than
simply the date you may have problems.

> Yes - I have a few times run into problems due to my configuration file and
> only realized it later - if there would be ab org file which I could use to
> test easily my configuration directly after making the changes, life would
> have been much easier for me. This would also be useful for questions on the
> mailing list and for a kind of "quality control" for published configs on
> the web.

Is there a reason that you can't just use the existing test suite for
this purpose?  Running the test suite should be as simple as loading the
org-test.el file in org/testing/lisp/org-test.el and then calling the
`org-test-run-all-tests' function.

Best -- Eric

--

@ 2011-09-06 15:35       ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> > And if this could be done by the user to test .emacs configuration
>> > settings, that would be really great.
>> >

>> That's a good idea.  Simply running the Org-mode test suite is a good
>> way for users to test the sanity of their local config.
>>

> Yes - I have a few times run into problems due to my configuration file and
> only realized it later - if there would be ab org file which I could use to
> test easily my configuration directly after making the changes, life would
> have been much easier for me. This would also be useful for questions on the
> mailing list and for a kind of "quality control" for published configs on
> the web.

In terms of running all the tests in 'batch mode' i.e. loading no
personal configuration files (for development purposes), I have put
together a small 'test-init.el' file to do that.

The emacs command is:

$ /path/to/emacs/Emacs -batch -l /path/to/org/testing/test-init.el

The test-init.el file should be in the testing directory which should
also be the local directory.

Below are the test-init.el file and the generated results.
All tests are currently passing.

Regards

Martyn

[-- Attachment #2: test-init.el --]

[-- Attachment #3: results.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 12808 bytes --]

21 src blocks added to Library of Babel

------------------------- Test start --------------------------------------

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.35)
 of 2011-08-21 on virtualmac.porkrind.org
Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.246.g3dac.dirty)

Running 101 tests (2011-09-06 16:10:49+0100)
OVERVIEW
executing Awk code block...
executing Awk source code block
"42"
   passed    1/101  ob-awk/input-none
executing Awk code block (genfile)...
executing Awk source code block
"150"
   passed    2/101  ob-awk/input-src-block
   passed    3/101  ob-fortran/assert
OVERVIEW
executing Fortran code block...
"word"
   passed    4/101  ob-fortran/character-var
executing Fortran code block...
"23"
   passed    5/101  ob-fortran/command-arguments
executing Fortran code block (fortran_parameter)...
"10"
   passed    6/101  ob-fortran/fortran-var-program
executing Fortran code block...
"15"
   passed    7/101  ob-fortran/input-var
executing Fortran code block...
"1.00 2.00 3.00"
   passed    8/101  ob-fortran/list-var
executing Fortran code block...
"1.00 2.00"
   passed    9/101  ob-fortran/list-var-from-table
executing Fortran code block...
   passed   10/101  ob-fortran/no-variables-with-main
executing Fortran code block...
"42"
   passed   11/101  ob-fortran/preprosessor-var
executing Fortran code block (hello)...
"Hello world"
   passed   12/101  ob-fortran/simple-program
   passed   13/101  ob-lilypond/assert
   passed   14/101  ob-lilypond/check-lilypond-alias
   passed   15/101  ob-lilypond/feature-provision
   passed   16/101  ob-lilypond/ly-OSX-ly-path
   passed   17/101  ob-lilypond/ly-OSX-midi-path
   passed   18/101  ob-lilypond/ly-OSX-pdf-path
   passed   19/101  ob-lilypond/ly-arrange-mode
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.pdf...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.pdf
No pdf file generated so can't display!
   passed   20/101  ob-lilypond/ly-attempt-to-open-pdf
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.midi...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.midi
No midi file generated so can't play!
   passed   21/101  ob-lilypond/ly-attempt-to-play-midi
   passed   22/101  ob-lilypond/ly-check-for-compile-error
Compiling LilyPond...
   passed   23/101  ob-lilypond/ly-compile-lilyfile
   passed   24/101  ob-lilypond/ly-compile-post-tangle
   passed   25/101  ob-lilypond/ly-determine-ly-path
   passed   26/101  ob-lilypond/ly-determine-midi-path
   passed   27/101  ob-lilypond/ly-determine-pdf-path
   passed   28/101  ob-lilypond/ly-display-pdf-post-tangle
   passed   29/101  ob-lilypond/ly-gen-html
   passed   30/101  ob-lilypond/ly-gen-png
   passed   31/101  ob-lilypond/ly-gen-svg
   passed   32/101  ob-lilypond/ly-get-header-args
OVERVIEW
   passed   33/101  ob-lilypond/ly-mark-error-line
   passed   34/101  ob-lilypond/ly-nix-ly-path
   passed   35/101  ob-lilypond/ly-nix-midi-path
   passed   36/101  ob-lilypond/ly-nix-pdf-path
   passed   37/101  ob-lilypond/ly-parse-error-line
   passed   38/101  ob-lilypond/ly-parse-line-num
   passed   39/101  ob-lilypond/ly-play-midi-post-tangle
OVERVIEW
   passed   40/101  ob-lilypond/ly-process-compile-error
   passed   41/101  ob-lilypond/ly-set-header-args
   passed   42/101  ob-lilypond/ly-switch-extension-with-extensions
   passed   43/101  ob-lilypond/ly-switch-extension-with-paths
Arrange mode has been ENABLED.
Arrange mode has been DISABLED.
   passed   44/101  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-arrange-mode
HTML generation has been ENABLED.
HTML generation has been DISABLED.
   passed   45/101  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-html-generation-toggles-flag
Post-Tangle MIDI play has been DISABLED.
Post-Tangle MIDI play has been ENABLED.
   passed   46/101  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-midi-play-toggles-flag
Post-Tangle PDF display has been DISABLED.
Post-Tangle PDF display has been ENABLED.
   passed   47/101  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-pdf-display-toggles-flag
PNG image generation has been ENABLED.
PNG image generation has been DISABLED.
   passed   48/101  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-png-generation-toggles-flag
ob-lilypond version 0.3
ob-lilypond version 0.3
   passed   49/101  ob-lilypond/ly-version-command
   passed   50/101  ob-lilypond/ly-version-const
   passed   51/101  ob-lilypond/ly-win32-ly-path
   passed   52/101  ob-lilypond/ly-win32-midi-path
   passed   53/101  ob-lilypond/ly-win32-pdf-path
   passed   54/101  ob-lilypond/org-babel-expand-body:lilypond
   passed   55/101  ob-lilypond/org-babel-prep-session:lilypond
   passed   56/101  ob-lilypond/org-babel-tangle-lang-exts
   passed   57/101  ob-lilypond/use-eps
OVERVIEW
(No changes need to be saved)
Setting up indent for shell type bash
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/babel.sh
tangled 1 code block from babel.org
   passed   58/101  ob-tangle/continued-code-blocks-w-noweb-ref
file:"~/org-mode/testing/examples/babel.org"
   passed   59/101  ob-tangle/expand-headers-as-noweb-references
(No changes need to be saved)
tangled 0 code blocks from babel.org
   passed   60/101  ob-tangle/no-excessive-id-insertion-on-tangle
OVERVIEW
Exporting...
Exporting...
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
   passed   61/101  test-ob-exp/org-babel-exp-src-blocks/w-no-file
OVERVIEW
Exporting...
Exporting...
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/link-in-heading.html...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/link-in-heading.html
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
   passed   62/101  test-ob-exp/org-babel-exp-src-blocks/w-no-headers
#+call: echo(input="testing")
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (echo)...

(input (quote "testing"))

"testing"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote "testing"))

[...]

executing Emacs-Lisp code block (lob-minus)...

(a (quote 8))

(b (quote 4))

"4"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote 4))

"4"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (echo)...

(input (quote "testing"))

"testing"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote "testing"))

"testing"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (concat)...

(a (quote 1))

(b (quote 2))

(c (quote 3))

"123"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote "123"))

"123"
   passed   63/101  test-ob-lob/call-with-header-arguments
Exporting...
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (double)...

(it (quote 0))

"0"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote 0))

Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (double)...

(it (quote 1))

"2"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote 2))

Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (double)...

(it (quote 3))

"6"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote 6))

Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (double)...

(it (quote 4))

"8"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote 8))

Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (double)...

(it (quote 5))

"10"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(results (quote 10))

Code block evaluation complete.
Exporting...
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
   passed   64/101  test-ob-lob/export-lob-lines
7 src blocks added to Library of Babel
   passed   65/101  test-ob-lob/ingest
Babel evaluation exited with code 1
   passed   66/101  test-ob-sh/dont-error-on-empty-results
   passed   67/101  test-ob-sh/dont-insert-spaces-on-expanded-bodies
   passed   68/101  test-org-babel/default-inline-header-args
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(prop (quote 4))

Code block evaluation complete.
   passed   69/101  test-org-babel/elisp-in-header-arguments
   passed   70/101  test-org-babel/get-header
OVERVIEW
   passed   71/101  test-org-babel/get-src-block-info-body
OVERVIEW
   passed   72/101  test-org-babel/get-src-block-info-language
OVERVIEW
   passed   73/101  test-org-babel/get-src-block-info-tangle
   passed   74/101  test-org-babel/inline-src-block-regexp
executing Sh code block...
"1"
executing Sh code block...
"2"
executing Sh code block...
"3"
   passed   75/101  test-org-babel/inline-src-blocks
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(numbers (quote (1 2 3 4 5 6 7)))

(letters (quote (a b c d e f g)))

Code block evaluation complete.
   passed   76/101  test-org-babel/multi-line-header-arguments
   passed   77/101  test-org-babel/multi-line-header-regexp
   passed   78/101  test-org-babel/org-babel-get-inline-src-block-matches
((:var num . 9) (:colname-names) (:rowname-names) (:result-params "output" "replace") (:result-type . output) (:comments . "") (:shebang . "") (:cache . "no") (:padline . "") (:noweb . "no") (:tangle . "no") (:exports . "code") (:results . "output replace") (:session) (:padnewline . "yes") (:hlines . "no"))
   passed   79/101  test-org-babel/parse-header-args
file:"~/org-mode/testing/examples/babel.org"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(text (quote "has length 14
"))

"14"
   passed   80/101  test-org-babel/parse-header-args2
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (i-have-a-name)...
Code block evaluation complete.
   passed   81/101  test-org-babel/simple-named-code-block
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (four)...
(1 2 3 4)
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

(four (quote (1 2 3 4)))

Code block evaluation complete.
   passed   82/101  test-org-babel/simple-variable-resolution
   passed   83/101  test-org-babel/src-block-regexp
   passed   84/101  test-org-babel/src-name-regexp
   passed   85/101  test-org-babel/src-name-w-name-regexp
   passed   86/101  test-org-html/export-link/0
   passed   87/101  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-an/1
   passed   88/101  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-an/3
   passed   89/101  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-rc/1
   passed   90/101  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-rc/2
OVERVIEW
Re-applying formulas to full table...
Re-applying formulas to full table...(line 1)
Re-applying formulas to 1 lines...done
Re-applying formulas...done
Re-applying formulas...done
   passed   91/101  test-org-table/simple-formula
   passed   92/101  test-org/org-link-escape-ascii-character
   passed   93/101  test-org/org-link-escape-ascii-ctrl-character
   passed   94/101  test-org/org-link-escape-custom-table
   passed   95/101  test-org/org-link-escape-custom-table-merge
   passed   96/101  test-org/org-link-escape-multibyte-character
   passed   97/101  test-org/org-link-escape-url-with-escaped-char
   passed   98/101  test-org/org-link-unescape-ascii-character
   passed   99/101  test-org/org-link-unescape-ascii-ctrl-character
   passed  100/101  test-org/org-link-unescape-ascii-extended-char
   passed  101/101  test-org/org-link-unescape-multibyte-character

Ran 101 tests, 101 results as expected (2011-09-06 16:10:54+0100)

[...]

---
Org-mode version 7.7

@ 2011-09-06 17:13         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martyn,

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>>> >

>>> That's a good idea.  Simply running the Org-mode test suite is a good
>>> way for users to test the sanity of their local config.
>>>

>> Yes - I have a few times run into problems due to my configuration file and
>> only realized it later - if there would be ab org file which I could use to
>> test easily my configuration directly after making the changes, life would
>> have been much easier for me. This would also be useful for questions on the
>> mailing list and for a kind of "quality control" for published configs on
>> the web.
>
> In terms of running all the tests in 'batch mode' i.e. loading no
> personal configuration files (for development purposes), I have put
> together a small 'test-init.el' file to do that.

I just made three small changes to the testing framework so it is now
possible to run the test suite in batch mode with the following.

emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el --eval "(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-all-tests

Best -- Eric

--

@ 2011-09-07  8:19           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-09-07  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Martyn Jago, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Martyn,
>
> Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >>>

> >> Yes - I have a few times run into problems due to my configuration file
> and
> >> only realized it later - if there would be ab org file which I could use
> >> test easily my configuration directly after making the changes, life
> would
> >> have been much easier for me. This would also be useful for questions on
> the
> >> mailing list and for a kind of "quality control" for published configs
> on
> >> the web.
> >
> > In terms of running all the tests in 'batch mode' i.e. loading no
> > personal configuration files (for development purposes), I have put
> > together a small 'test-init.el' file to do that.
> >

> I just made three small changes to the testing framework so it is now
> possible to run the test suite in batch mode with the following.
>
> emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el --eval "(setq
> org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-all-tests

This sounds very promising. As I have never used a test suite (I definitely
should have...), would it be possible to add a section to the manual, in the
sense of "How to test your emacs configuration", or even put add a menu item
into the org menu in emacs to run the test suite with the actual
configuration?

Rainer

> Best -- Eric
>
> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-07 18:15           ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I just made three small changes to the testing framework so it is now
> possible to run the test suite in batch mode with the following.
>
> emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el --eval "(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-all-tests

Great idea - unfortunately its not quite working for me since I get
four failing tests. In addition I have no (easy) indication of which
four tests are failing since the backtrace is just the output of the
tests working (no backtrace for failed tests).

This is what I like about the ert-run-batch commands - you get an
indication and summary of tests passed, and the backtrace of any
failures.

Also, I mentioned that ert-batch.el and ert-run.el are not part of
Emacs. This is actually because their contents were merged into ert.el
within Emacs.

Regards

Martyn

@ 2011-09-07 18:24             ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-07 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Martyn,
>>
>> Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el --eval "(setq
>> org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-all-tests
>>

> This sounds very promising. As I have never used a test suite (I definitely
> should have...), would it be possible to add a section to the manual, in the
> sense of "How to test your emacs configuration", or even put add a menu item
> into the org menu in emacs to run the test suite with the actual
> configuration?
>
> Rainer

This sounds like a good idea. Just in case you are not aware, ERT is
documented pretty well in emacs info format (C-h i) on later versions of
Emacs (Emacs 24)? This documentation is also available here...

https://github.com/emacsmirror/org-mode/tree/master/doc

Regards Martyn

[...]

--
Org-mode version 7.7

@ 2011-09-08 15:16             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martyn

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi Eric
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> I just made three small changes to the testing framework so it is now
>> possible to run the test suite in batch mode with the following.
>>
>> emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el --eval "(setq
>> org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-all-tests
>
> Great idea - unfortunately its not quite working for me since I get
> four failing tests. In addition I have no (easy) indication of which
> four tests are failing since the backtrace is just the output of the
> tests working (no backtrace for failed tests).

I'm getting four failing tests as well when I start Emacs with the -Q
option and no failing tests when I run it with my configuration loaded.
I will dig through my personal config, find out what options are making
these tests pass, and adjust the tests appropriately so that they all
pass with no personal config.

> This is what I like about the ert-run-batch commands - you get an
> indication and summary of tests passed, and the backtrace of any
> failures.
>
> Also, I mentioned that ert-batch.el and ert-run.el are not part of
> Emacs. This is actually because their contents were merged into ert.el
> within Emacs.

Thanks for mentioning the batch ert commands, I was not aware of their
existence.  I've added a batch version of org-test-run-all-tests to the
org-mode test suite, the following should now be sufficient to run the
test suite from the command line with nicer output.

#+begin_src sh
  emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el \
      --eval "(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" \
      -f org-test-run-all-tests
#+end_src

Thanks -- Eric

--

@ 2011-09-08 16:18               ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Martyn
>
> Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric
>>
>> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> I just made three small changes to the testing framework so it is now
>>> possible to run the test suite in batch mode with the following.
>>>
>>> emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el --eval "(setq
>>> org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-all-tests
>>
>> Great idea - unfortunately its not quite working for me since I get
>> four failing tests. In addition I have no (easy) indication of which
>> four tests are failing since the backtrace is just the output of the
>> tests working (no backtrace for failed tests).
>>

> I'm getting four failing tests as well when I start Emacs with the -Q
> option and no failing tests when I run it with my configuration loaded.
> I will dig through my personal config, find out what options are making
> these tests pass, and adjust the tests appropriately so that they all
> pass with no personal config.
>

>> This is what I like about the ert-run-batch commands - you get an
>> indication and summary of tests passed, and the backtrace of any
>> failures.
>>
>> Also, I mentioned that ert-batch.el and ert-run.el are not part of
>> Emacs. This is actually because their contents were merged into ert.el
>> within Emacs.
>>

> Thanks for mentioning the batch ert commands, I was not aware of their
> existence.  I've added a batch version of org-test-run-all-tests to the
> org-mode test suite, the following should now be sufficient to run the
> test suite from the command line with nicer output.
>
> #+begin_src sh
>   emacs -Q --batch -l path/to/org/testing/org-test.el \
>       --eval "(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" \
>       -f org-test-run-all-tests
> #+end_src

Thats great - I'll try it out when I get a chance.

I have written a few more tests for inline source blocks execution with
org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (not extensive by any means). The last two [:results
scaler] and [:results verbatim] surprised me slightly since the manual
suggests to me that they would be identical (although verbatim does what
I would expect).

,----
|  - scalar, verbatim The results should be interpreted literally—they
|    will not be converted into a table. The results will be inserted into
|    the Org-mode buffer as quoted text. E.g., :results value verbatim.
`----

src_src_emacs-lisp[ :results scalar ]{ \"x\" } =x=
src_src_emacs-lisp[ :results verbatim ]{ \"x\" } ="x"=

[-- Attachment #2: lisp-test-ob.el-More-tests-for-inline-source-blocks --]

From b0ea0a6e96188c8ee6861d6cbd04182eb966dbe3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:50:26 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] * testing/lisp/test-ob.el: More tests for inline source blocks
   execution via org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c

---
 testing/lisp/test-ob.el |  172 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

diff --git a/testing/lisp/test-ob.el b/testing/lisp/test-ob.el
index e0f7c65..9735bd8 100644
--- a/testing/lisp/test-ob.el
+++ b/testing/lisp/test-ob.el
@@ -236,6 +236,178 @@
       (should-not (org-babel-get-inline-src-block-matches))
     )))

+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-default-results-replace-line-1 ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    ;; src_ at bol line 1...
+    (let ((test-line "src_sh{echo 1}"))
+      (insert test-line)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (goto-char (point-min)) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+       	       (concat test-line " =1=")
+       	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (forward-char) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+       	       (concat test-line " =1= =1=")
+       	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (re-search-forward "1}")
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (backward-char) ;; last char of block body
+      (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+       	       (concat test-line " =1= =1= =1=")
+       	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
+
+    ;; src_ follows space line 1...
+    (let ((test-line " src_emacs-lisp{ 1 }"))
+      (beginning-of-line)
+      (insert (concat test-line "\n"))
+      (goto-char (point-min))
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (forward-char) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+	       (concat test-line " =1=")
+	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (re-search-forward "{ 1 ") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+	       (concat test-line " =1= =1=")
+	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (forward-char)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      )))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-default-results-replace-line-2 ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    ;; src_ at bol line 2...
+    (let ((test-line " src_emacs-lisp{ \"x\" }"))
+      (insert (concat "\n" test-line))
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (goto-char (point-min))
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (forward-line)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (forward-char) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+	       (concat test-line " =x=")
+	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
+
+    (let ((test-line "Some text prior to block src_emacs-lisp{ \"y\" }"))
+      (goto-char (point-max))
+      (insert (concat "\n" test-line " end"))
+      (re-search-backward "src") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+       	       (concat test-line " =y= end")
+       	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (re-search-forward "\" ") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+	       (concat test-line " =y= =y= end")
+       	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (forward-char)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      )))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-manual-results-replace ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    (let ((test-line " src_emacs-lisp[:results replace]{ \"x\" }"))
+      (insert (concat "\n" test-line))
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (goto-char (point-min))
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (forward-line)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (forward-char) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+      	       (concat test-line " =x=")
+      	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
+
+    (let ((test-line " Some text prior to block src_emacs-lisp[:results replace]{ \"y\" }"))
+      (goto-char (point-max))
+      (insert (concat "\n" test-line " end"))
+      (re-search-backward "src") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+    	       (concat test-line " =y= end")
+    	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (re-search-forward "\" ") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string=
+    	       (concat test-line " =y= =y= end")
+    	       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (forward-char)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)))
+    ))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-silent ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results silent ]{ \"x\" }"))
+      (insert test-line)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c))
+      (goto-char (point-min)) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= test-line
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
+    (let ((test-line " Some text prior to block src_emacs-lisp[ :results silent ]{ \"y\" }"))
+      (goto-char (point-max))
+      (insert (concat "\n" test-line " end"))
+      (re-search-backward "src_") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " end")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (re-search-forward "\" ") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " end")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (forward-char)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)))
+      ))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-raw ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results raw ]{ \"x\" }"))
+      (insert test-line)
+      (goto-char (point-min)) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " x")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol)))))
+    (let ((test-line " Some text prior to block src_emacs-lisp[ :results raw ]{ \"the\" }"))
+      (goto-char (point-max))
+      (insert (concat "\n" test-line " end"))
+      (re-search-backward "src_") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " the end")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (re-search-forward "\" ") (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " the the end")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))))
+      (forward-char)
+      (should-error (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)))
+      ))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-file ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results file ]{ \"~/test-file\"  }"))
+      (insert test-line)
+      (goto-char (point-min)) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " [[file:~/test-file]]")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))))))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-scaler ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results scaler ]{ \"x\"  }"))
+      (insert test-line)
+      (goto-char (point-min)) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " =x=")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))))))
+
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-verbatim ()
+  (with-temp-buffer
+
+    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results verbatim ]{ \"x\"  }"))
+      (insert test-line)
+      (goto-char (point-min)) (org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
+      (should (string= (concat test-line " =\"x\"=")
+		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))))))
+
 (provide 'test-ob)

 ;;; test-ob ends here
--
1.7.3.4

Best, Martyn

@ 2011-09-08 17:44                 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-08 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martyn,

> I have written a few more tests for inline source blocks execution with
> org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (not extensive by any means).

Thanks for adding these tests, I get 6 failures all with the same error
[1], is that intentional?  If not would you mind taking another look at
this patch?

> The last two [:results scaler] and [:results verbatim] surprised me
> slightly since the manual suggests to me that they would be identical
> (although verbatim does what I would expect).
>
> ,----
> |  - scalar, verbatim The results should be interpreted literally—they
> |    will not be converted into a table. The results will be inserted into
> |    the Org-mode buffer as quoted text. E.g., :results value verbatim.
> `----
>
> src_src_emacs-lisp[ :results scalar ]{ \"x\" } =x=
> src_src_emacs-lisp[ :results verbatim ]{ \"x\" } ="x"=

interesting, I get the same results for both scalar and verbatim...

  src_emacs-lisp[ :results scalar ]{ "x" } ="x"=
  src_emacs-lisp[ :results verbatim ]{ "x" } ="x"=

Notice that I had to edit your pasted example for it to run w/o error on
my system.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  new test results
,----

@ 2011-09-08 18:34                   ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Martyn,
>

>> I have written a few more tests for inline source blocks execution with
>> org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (not extensive by any means).
>
> Thanks for adding these tests, I get 6 failures all with the same error
> [1], is that intentional?  If not would you mind taking another look at
> this patch?
>
>> The last two [:results scaler] and [:results verbatim] surprised me
>> slightly since the manual suggests to me that they would be identical
>> (although verbatim does what I would expect).
>>
>> ,----
>> |  - scalar, verbatim The results should be interpreted literally—they
>> |    will not be converted into a table. The results will be inserted into
>> |    the Org-mode buffer as quoted text. E.g., :results value verbatim.
>> `----
>>
>> src_src_emacs-lisp[ :results scalar ]{ \"x\" } =x=
>> src_src_emacs-lisp[ :results verbatim ]{ \"x\" } ="x"=
>
> interesting, I get the same results for both scalar and verbatim...

Yes my bad - I have a problem with the spelling of scalar - they are the
same here now.

>   src_emacs-lisp[ :results scalar ]{ "x" } ="x"=
>   src_emacs-lisp[ :results verbatim ]{ "x" } ="x"=
>
> Notice that I had to edit your pasted example for it to run w/o error on
> my system.

Apologies, my hasty cut/pasting from tests to gnus.

The only way I can generate any failures is by using your "older"
command line script - even using your selector "\\(org\\|ob\\)" passes
everything here. Interestingly, using my test-init.el based script with
Emacs -batch -Q produces no errors either. I'll investigate further.

Best, Martyn

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-08 22:03                     ` Martyn Jago
                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-08 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi Eric
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Martyn,
>>

>>> I have written a few more tests for inline source blocks execution with
>>> org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (not extensive by any means).
>>
>> Thanks for adding these tests, I get 6 failures all with the same error
>> [1], is that intentional?  If not would you mind taking another look at
>> this patch?

I reverse-engineered my =test-init.el= script using a call to
=org-test-run-batch-tests= and from that worked out why your script was
breaking tests.

One problem on my system is that emacs was using the wrong org mode
since the newer org location wasn't known about. Also, the languages,
emacs-lisp and sh need to be switched on (I thought emacs-lisp was on by
default)?

Now all tests pass.

My minimised script...

(let ((org-dir "~/org-mode/"))
  (add-to-list 'load-path (concat org-dir "lisp"))
  (add-to-list 'load-path (concat org-dir "testing"))
  (require 'org-test)
  (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
  (org-babel-do-load-languages
   'org-babel-load-languages '((emacs-lisp . t) (sh . t)))
  (org-test-run-batch-tests))

Called by...

emacs -Q -script ~/orgmode/testing/test-init.el

Your modified script...

emacs -Q -batch -L ~/org-mode/lisp ~/org-mode/testing -l org-test.el \
-eval "(progn(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil) \
(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((emacs-lisp \
. t) (sh . t))))" -f org-test-run-batch-tests

I've fixed my typos in test-ob.el below.

Best, Martyn

[-- Attachment #2: Fixed typos in test-ob.el --]

From a444094303e48cbb5f4027e83f8dcf60d240204b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:34:38 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] * testing/lisp/test-ob.el: Fixed typo

---
 testing/lisp/test-ob.el |    6 +++---

diff --git a/testing/lisp/test-ob.el b/testing/lisp/test-ob.el
index 9735bd8..1f04c5b 100644
--- a/testing/lisp/test-ob.el
+++ b/testing/lisp/test-ob.el
@@ -390,13 +390,13 @@
       (should (string= (concat test-line " [[file:~/test-file]]")
 		       (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))))))

-(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-scaler ()
+(ert-deftest test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-scalar ()
   (with-temp-buffer

-    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results scaler ]{ \"x\"  }"))
+    (let ((test-line "src_emacs-lisp[ :results scalar ]{ \"x\"  }"))
       (insert test-line)

@ 2011-09-09  8:22                       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-09-09  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri 09 Sep 2011 00:03:59 CEST, Martyn Jago wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric
>>
>> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Martyn,

>>> Thanks for adding these tests, I get 6 failures all with the same error
>>> [1], is that intentional?  If not would you mind taking another look at
>>> this patch?
>
> I reverse-engineered my =test-init.el= script using a call to
> =org-test-run-batch-tests= and from that worked out why your script was
> breaking tests.
>
> One problem on my system is that emacs was using the wrong org mode
> since the newer org location wasn't known about. Also, the languages,
> emacs-lisp and sh need to be switched on (I thought emacs-lisp was on by
> default)?
>
> Now all tests pass.
>
> My minimised script...

> (let ((org-dir "~/org-mode/"))
>   (add-to-list 'load-path (concat org-dir "lisp"))
>   (add-to-list 'load-path (concat org-dir "testing"))
>   (require 'org-test)
>   (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
>   (org-babel-do-load-languages
>    'org-babel-load-languages '((emacs-lisp . t) (sh . t)))
>   (org-test-run-batch-tests))
>
> Called by...

> emacs -Q -script ~/orgmode/testing/test-init.el
>
> Your modified script...

> emacs -Q -batch -L ~/org-mode/lisp ~/org-mode/testing -l org-test.el \
> -eval "(progn(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil) \
> (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((emacs-lisp \
> . t) (sh . t))))" -f org-test-run-batch-tests
>
> I've fixed my typos in test-ob.el below.
>
> Best, Martyn
>

> [...]

I just tried to run the tests, and I got the following error:

>rkrug@ecolmod:~$ emacs -Q -batch -L ~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp ~/.emacs.d/org-mode/testing -l org-test.el -eval "(progn(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil) \
(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((emacs-lisp \
. t) (sh . t))))" -f org-test-run-batch-tests
Cannot open load file: ert
rkrug@ecolmod:~$

I read that the ert file should be included in emacs but I installed
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 from the ubuntu repos - do I have tio install from
source? Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.267.g1633)

I would very much like to run the tests on my system.
Thanks,

Rainer

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-09 10:58                         ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-09 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I just tried to run the tests, and I got the following error:
>
>>rkrug@ecolmod:~$ emacs -Q -batch -L ~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp ~/.emacs.d/org-mode/testing -l org-test.el -eval "(progn(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil) \
> (org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((emacs-lisp \
> . t) (sh . t))))" -f org-test-run-batch-tests
> Cannot open load file: ert
> rkrug@ecolmod:~$
>
> I read that the ert file should be included in emacs but I installed
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 from the ubuntu repos - do I have tio install from
> source? Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.267.g1633)
>
> I would very much like to run the tests on my system.
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

Unfortunately ERT is not in Emacs 23.3.1. However, you should
have no problem downloading the ERT files from
https://github.com/ohler/ert and saving them in =path/to/org/testing/=

The script should then work for you (I used ERT like this for some
time).

Best, Martyn

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-09 11:11                       ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-09 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:

[...]

> One problem on my system is that emacs was using the wrong org mode
> since the newer org location wasn't known about. Also, the languages,
> emacs-lisp and sh need to be switched on (I thought emacs-lisp was on by
> default)?

I was quite wrong here, emacs-lisp is available - apologies for the
noise.

My last stab at this is floating a suggestion for something like the
following in org-tests.el...

(let ((org-test-dir (expand-file-name
		      (file-name-directory
		       (or load-file-name buffer-file-name)))))
   (let ((org-lisp-dir (expand-file-name
   		       (concat org-test-dir "../lisp"))))
     (unless (member 'features "org")
       (setq load-path (cons org-lisp-dir load-path))
       (org-babel-do-load-languages
	'org-babel-load-languages '((sh . t)))))
   (let* ((load-path (cons
		     (expand-file-name "ert" org-test-dir)
		     (cons
		      (expand-file-name "jump" org-test-dir)
		      load-path))))
    (require 'ert)
    (require 'ert-x)
    (require 'jump)
    (require 'which-func)
    (require 'org)))

In otherwords, if org is not yet a feature, add org mode to the load
path _and_ =do-load-babel-languages= adding sh, but keeping evaluation confirmation
on the command line.

This reduces your script back to...

Emacs -Q -batch -l org-test.el -eval "(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)" -f org-test-run-batch-tests

Regards

Martyn

[...]

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-09 19:19                       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-09 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I've fixed my typos in test-ob.el below.

I've applied your previous patch along with this fix.

Thanks! -- Eric

--

@ 2011-09-09 20:39                         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-09 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi Eric
>
> Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> One problem on my system is that emacs was using the wrong org mode
>> since the newer org location wasn't known about. Also, the languages,
>> emacs-lisp and sh need to be switched on (I thought emacs-lisp was on by
>> default)?
>
> I was quite wrong here, emacs-lisp is available - apologies for the
> noise.
>
> My last stab at this is floating a suggestion for something like the
> following in org-tests.el...
>
> (let ((org-test-dir (expand-file-name
> 		      (file-name-directory
> 		       (or load-file-name buffer-file-name)))))
>    (let ((org-lisp-dir (expand-file-name
>    		       (concat org-test-dir "../lisp"))))
>      (unless (member 'features "org")
>        (setq load-path (cons org-lisp-dir load-path))
>        (org-babel-do-load-languages
> 	'org-babel-load-languages '((sh . t)))))
>    (let* ((load-path (cons
> 		     (expand-file-name "ert" org-test-dir)
> 		     (cons
> 		      (expand-file-name "jump" org-test-dir)
> 		      load-path))))
>     (require 'ert)
>     (require 'ert-x)
>     (require 'jump)
>     (require 'which-func)
>     (require 'org)))

Looks perfect, I'm adding this to the definition of `org-test-run-batch-tests'.

I still get one failing test when running this in batch mode.
,----
| 1 unexpected results:
|    FAILED  test-org-babel/inline-src-blocks
`----

and 6 failures when run interactively, but these may be local issues so
I'll check them out.
,----

--

@ 2011-09-10  8:09                           ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-10  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Looks perfect, I'm adding this to the definition of `org-test-run-batch-tests'.
>
> I still get one failing test when running this in batch mode.
> ,----
> | 1 unexpected results:
> |    FAILED  test-org-babel/inline-src-blocks
> `----
>
> and 6 failures when run interactively, but these may be local issues so
> I'll check them out.

I'll do some work on testing against version 23 and 22 and maybe put
together a how-to get ERT on those earlier systems (on linux).

For fun I hacked together a test results parser using org babel, which
calls your script from within a shell block, passing the results to a
parser block. Output is in the form of org mode headings and
sub-headings. I've attached it in case you were interested (org babel
was just great for doing this).

One problem I have however is getting the correct arguments in the call
line to cause the expected behaviour. Executing the block =run-all-and-convert=
within the processing header causes the correct behaviour, however I
can't get the #+call to cause the same behaviour.

Best, Martyn

[-- Attachment #2: overview --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 26548 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: trace --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 51853 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: run tests remotely and parse results --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 54555 bytes --]

#+STARTUP:overview

#+call: run-all-and-convert[:results prepend org]() :results silent

* processing

** run-all-tests-in-isolation
#+srcname: run-all-tests-in-isolation
#+begin_src sh :results output silent
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -batch -l \
~/org-mode/testing/org-test.el -eval "(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate \
nil)" -f org-test-run-batch-tests 2>&1
#+end_src

** run-all-and-convert
#+srcname: run-all-and-convert
#+begin_src ruby :results prepend org :var test_file = run-all-tests-in-isolation()
def test_name(line) "#{line.match(/(\d+\/\d+  .*)$/)}" end
def as_result(line, st) as_heading status(st)+test_name(line)+"\n", 2 end
def status(st) st ? "PASS " : "FAIL " end
def as_heading(line, level)
  temp = level == 1 ? "*" : "**"
  temp + " " + line
end
heading, body, trace, result = "", "", "", true
test_file.each_line do |line|
  case line.chomp
    when /^Running \d+ tests .*$/
      heading << line
      trace = ""
    when /^   passed\s+ \d+\/\d+  .*$/
      body << as_result(line, true)
      body << trace; trace = ""
    when /^   FAILED\s+\d+\/\d+  .*$/
      result = false
      body << as_result(line, false)
      body << trace; trace = ""
    else
      trace << line
  end
end
as_heading(status(result) +
heading, 1) +
body
#+end_src

#+results: run-all-and-convert
#+BEGIN_ORG

* PASS Running 109 tests (2011-09-10 08:42:30+0100)
** PASS 1/109  ob-awk/input-none
executing Awk code block...
executing Awk source code block
"42"
** PASS 2/109  ob-awk/input-src-block
executing Awk code block (genfile)...
executing Awk source code block
"150"
** PASS 3/109  ob-fortran/assert
** PASS 4/109  ob-fortran/command-arguments
executing Fortran code block...
"23"
** PASS 5/109  ob-fortran/fortran-var-program
executing Fortran code block (fortran_parameter)...
"10"
** PASS 6/109  ob-fortran/input-var
executing Fortran code block...
"15"
** PASS 7/109  ob-fortran/list-var
executing Fortran code block...
"1.00 2.00 3.00"
** PASS 8/109  ob-fortran/list-var-from-table
executing Fortran code block...
"1.00 2.00"
** PASS 9/109  ob-fortran/no-variables-with-main
executing Fortran code block...
** PASS 10/109  ob-fortran/preprosessor-var
executing Fortran code block...
"42"
** PASS 11/109  ob-fortran/simple-program
executing Fortran code block (hello)...
"Hello world"
** PASS 12/109  ob-lilypond/assert
** PASS 13/109  ob-lilypond/check-lilypond-alias
** PASS 14/109  ob-lilypond/feature-provision
** PASS 15/109  ob-lilypond/ly-OSX-ly-path
** PASS 16/109  ob-lilypond/ly-OSX-midi-path
** PASS 17/109  ob-lilypond/ly-OSX-pdf-path
** PASS 18/109  ob-lilypond/ly-arrange-mode
** PASS 19/109  ob-lilypond/ly-attempt-to-open-pdf
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.pdf...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.pdf
No pdf file generated so can't display!
** PASS 20/109  ob-lilypond/ly-attempt-to-play-midi
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.midi...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/ob-lilypond-test.midi
No midi file generated so can't play!
** PASS 21/109  ob-lilypond/ly-check-for-compile-error
** PASS 22/109  ob-lilypond/ly-compile-lilyfile
Compiling LilyPond...
** PASS 23/109  ob-lilypond/ly-compile-post-tangle
** PASS 24/109  ob-lilypond/ly-determine-ly-path
** PASS 25/109  ob-lilypond/ly-determine-midi-path
** PASS 26/109  ob-lilypond/ly-determine-pdf-path
** PASS 27/109  ob-lilypond/ly-display-pdf-post-tangle
** PASS 28/109  ob-lilypond/ly-gen-html
** PASS 29/109  ob-lilypond/ly-gen-png
** PASS 30/109  ob-lilypond/ly-gen-svg
** PASS 31/109  ob-lilypond/ly-get-header-args
** PASS 32/109  ob-lilypond/ly-mark-error-line
** PASS 33/109  ob-lilypond/ly-nix-ly-path
** PASS 34/109  ob-lilypond/ly-nix-midi-path
** PASS 35/109  ob-lilypond/ly-nix-pdf-path
** PASS 36/109  ob-lilypond/ly-parse-error-line
** PASS 37/109  ob-lilypond/ly-parse-line-num
** PASS 38/109  ob-lilypond/ly-play-midi-post-tangle
** PASS 39/109  ob-lilypond/ly-process-compile-error
OVERVIEW
** PASS 40/109  ob-lilypond/ly-set-header-args
** PASS 41/109  ob-lilypond/ly-switch-extension-with-extensions
** PASS 42/109  ob-lilypond/ly-switch-extension-with-paths
** PASS 43/109  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-arrange-mode
Arrange mode has been ENABLED.
Arrange mode has been DISABLED.
** PASS 44/109  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-html-generation-toggles-flag
HTML generation has been ENABLED.
HTML generation has been DISABLED.
** PASS 45/109  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-midi-play-toggles-flag
Post-Tangle MIDI play has been DISABLED.
Post-Tangle MIDI play has been ENABLED.
** PASS 46/109  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-pdf-display-toggles-flag
Post-Tangle PDF display has been DISABLED.
Post-Tangle PDF display has been ENABLED.
** PASS 47/109  ob-lilypond/ly-toggle-png-generation-toggles-flag
PNG image generation has been ENABLED.
PNG image generation has been DISABLED.
** PASS 48/109  ob-lilypond/ly-version-command
ob-lilypond version 0.3
ob-lilypond version 0.3
** PASS 49/109  ob-lilypond/ly-version-const
** PASS 50/109  ob-lilypond/ly-win32-ly-path
** PASS 51/109  ob-lilypond/ly-win32-midi-path
** PASS 52/109  ob-lilypond/ly-win32-pdf-path
** PASS 53/109  ob-lilypond/org-babel-expand-body:lilypond
** PASS 54/109  ob-lilypond/org-babel-prep-session:lilypond
** PASS 55/109  ob-lilypond/org-babel-tangle-lang-exts
** PASS 56/109  ob-lilypond/use-eps
** PASS 57/109  ob-tangle/continued-code-blocks-w-noweb-ref
(No changes need to be saved)
Setting up indent for shell type bash
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/babel.sh
tangled 1 code block from babel.org
** PASS 58/109  ob-tangle/expand-headers-as-noweb-references
file:"~/org-mode/testing/examples/babel.org"
** PASS 59/109  ob-tangle/no-excessive-id-insertion-on-tangle
(No changes need to be saved)
tangled 0 code blocks from babel.org
** PASS 60/109  test-ob-exp/org-babel-exp-src-blocks/w-no-file
Exporting...
htmlize.el 1.34 or later is needed for source code formatting
Exporting...
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
** PASS 61/109  test-ob-exp/org-babel-exp-src-blocks/w-no-headers
Exporting...
htmlize.el 1.34 or later is needed for source code formatting
Exporting...
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/no-heading.html...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/examples/no-heading.html
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
** PASS 62/109  test-ob-exp/org-babel-exp-src-blocks/w-no-headers2
OVERVIEW
Exporting...
Exporting...
Saving file /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/link-in-heading.html...
Wrote /Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/link-in-heading.html
HTML export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
** PASS 63/109  test-ob-lob/call-with-header-arguments
[...]

** PASS 64/109  test-ob-lob/export-lob-lines
[...]

** PASS 65/109  test-ob-lob/ingest
7 src blocks added to Library of Babel
** PASS 66/109  test-ob-sh/dont-error-on-empty-results
Babel evaluation exited with code 1
** PASS 67/109  test-ob-sh/dont-insert-spaces-on-expanded-bodies
** PASS 68/109  test-org-babel/default-inline-header-args
** PASS 69/109  test-org-babel/elisp-in-header-arguments
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 70/109  test-org-babel/get-header
** PASS 71/109  test-org-babel/get-src-block-info-body
** PASS 72/109  test-org-babel/get-src-block-info-language
** PASS 73/109  test-org-babel/get-src-block-info-tangle
** PASS 74/109  test-org-babel/inline-src-blocks
executing Sh code block...
"1"
executing Sh code block...
"2"
executing Sh code block...
"3"
** PASS 75/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-default-results-replace-line-1
executing Sh code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Sh code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Sh code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 76/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-default-results-replace-line-2
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 77/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-manual-results-replace
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 78/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-file
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 79/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-raw
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 80/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-scalar
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 81/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-silent
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
"x"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
"y"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
"y"
** PASS 82/109  test-org-babel/inline-src_blk-results-verbatim
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 83/109  test-org-babel/multi-line-header-arguments
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 84/109  test-org-babel/multi-line-header-regexp
** PASS 85/109  test-org-babel/org-babel-get-inline-src-block-matches
** PASS 86/109  test-org-babel/parse-header-args
((:var num . 9) (:colname-names) (:rowname-names) (:result-params "output" "replace") (:result-type . output) (:comments . "") (:shebang . "") (:cache . "no") (:padline . "") (:noweb . "no") (:tangle . "no") (:exports . "code") (:results . "output replace") (:session) (:padnewline . "yes") (:hlines . "no"))
** PASS 87/109  test-org-babel/parse-header-args2
file:"~/org-mode/testing/examples/babel.org"
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

"14"
** PASS 88/109  test-org-babel/simple-named-code-block
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (i-have-a-name)...
Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 89/109  test-org-babel/simple-variable-resolution
executing Emacs-Lisp code block (four)...
(1 2 3 4)
executing Emacs-Lisp code block...

Code block evaluation complete.
** PASS 90/109  test-org-babel/src-block-regexp
** PASS 91/109  test-org-babel/src-name-regexp
** PASS 92/109  test-org-babel/src-name-w-name-regexp
** PASS 93/109  test-org-exp/stripping-commas
ASCII export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
** PASS 94/109  test-org-html/export-link/0
** PASS 95/109  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-an/1
** PASS 96/109  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-an/3
** PASS 97/109  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-rc/1
** PASS 98/109  test-org-table/org-table-convert-refs-to-rc/2
** PASS 99/109  test-org-table/simple-formula
Re-applying formulas to full table...
Re-applying formulas to full table...(line 1)
Re-applying formulas to 1 lines...done
Re-applying formulas...done
Re-applying formulas...done
** PASS 100/109  test-org/org-link-escape-ascii-character
** PASS 101/109  test-org/org-link-escape-ascii-ctrl-character
** PASS 102/109  test-org/org-link-escape-custom-table
** PASS 103/109  test-org/org-link-escape-custom-table-merge
** PASS 104/109  test-org/org-link-escape-multibyte-character
** PASS 105/109  test-org/org-link-escape-url-with-escaped-char
** PASS 106/109  test-org/org-link-unescape-ascii-character
** PASS 107/109  test-org/org-link-unescape-ascii-ctrl-character
** PASS 108/109  test-org/org-link-unescape-ascii-extended-char
** PASS 109/109  test-org/org-link-unescape-multibyte-character
#+END_ORG
#+BEGIN_ORG

* PASS Running 109 tests (2011-09-10 08:37:31+0100)
[...]

* PASS Running 109 tests (2011-09-09 19:09:39+0100)
[...]

* PASS Running 109 tests (2011-09-09 18:53:43+0100)
[...]

* FAIL Running 109 tests (2011-09-09 18:52:46+0100)
[...]
** FAIL 12/109  ob-lilypond/assert
Test ob-lilypond/assert backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should nil) :form nil :value nil)))
  ert-fail(((should nil) :form nil :value nil))
  (if (unwind-protect (setq value-55 nil) (setq form-description-56 (l
  (unless (unwind-protect (setq value-55 nil) (setq form-description-5
  (let (form-description-56) (unless (unwind-protect (setq value-55 ni
  (let ((value-55 (ert--gensym "ert-form-evaluation-aborted-"))) (let
  (should nil)
  (lambda nil (should nil))()
  byte-code("\306\307!\x18r\bq\210\310\216\311 \x19\312\216\313\314\315\316\3
  ert--run-test-internal([cl-struct-ert--test-execution-info [cl-struc
  byte-code("\306\307!\211\x18r\310\311!q\210\312 d\313\223)L\210\314\216
  ert-run-test([cl-struct-ert-test ob-lilypond/assert nil (lambda nil
  ert-run-or-rerun-test([cl-struct-ert--stats "\\(org\\|ob\\)" [[cl-st
  ert-run-tests("\\(org\\|ob\\)" #[(event-type &rest event-args) "\b\30
  ert-run-tests-batch("\\(org\\|ob\\)")
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit("\\(org\\|ob\\)")
  org-test-run-batch-tests()
  call-interactively(org-test-run-batch-tests nil nil)
  command-execute(org-test-run-batch-tests)
  command-line-1(("-l" "/Users/martyn/org-mode/testing/org-test.el" "-
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test ob-lilypond/assert condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should nil)
      :form nil :value nil))
[...]

* FAIL Running 109 tests (2011-09-09 18:52:13+0100)

@ 2011-09-11 20:57                             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-09-11 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi Eric
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>

>> Looks perfect, I'm adding this to the definition of `org-test-run-batch-tests'.
>>
>> I still get one failing test when running this in batch mode.
>> ,----
>> | 1 unexpected results:
>> |    FAILED  test-org-babel/inline-src-blocks
>> `----
>>
>> and 6 failures when run interactively, but these may be local issues so
>> I'll check them out.
>
> I'll do some work on testing against version 23 and 22 and maybe put
> together a how-to get ERT on those earlier systems (on linux).

Such a document would be very useful, thanks

> For fun I hacked together a test results parser using org babel, which
> calls your script from within a shell block, passing the results to a
> parser block. Output is in the form of org mode headings and
> sub-headings. I've attached it in case you were interested (org babel
> was just great for doing this).

Very cool, it may be more useful if it only reported the results for
failing tests.  Thanks for sharing, such a script could be the beginning
of a backend for exporting the test results to html (e.g., if the test
suite was run after every git commit).

> One problem I have however is getting the correct arguments in the call
> line to cause the expected behaviour. Executing the block =run-all-and-convert=
> within the processing header causes the correct behaviour, however I
> can't get the #+call to cause the same behaviour.

Header arguments on call lines can be tricky.  Take a look at
http://eschulte.github.com/org-scraps/scraps/2011-09-11-header-arguments-on-call-lines.html

Cheers -- Eric

--

@ 2011-09-14  4:49                             ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-09-14  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Martyn,

At Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:09:17 +0100,
Martyn Jago wrote:
> I'll do some work on testing against version 23 and 22 and maybe put
> together a how-to get ERT on those earlier systems (on linux).

Just read this through Org mode's patch tracker[1] and coincidentally
started to work on the test framework, too. To get a recent ERT
running on Emac22 we need to backport parts of simple.el as of Emacs23
-- doing this is scheduled for the upcoming weekend in my Org mode.

> For fun I hacked together a test results parser using org babel, which
> calls your script from within a shell block, passing the results to a
> parser block. Output is in the form of org mode headings and
> sub-headings. I've attached it in case you were interested (org babel
> was just great for doing this).

This is great. This would be useful for non-babel tests, too. There
are some tests for link escaping and link export -- I'm going to
extend the latter (that's why I started to work on the testing
framework in the first place).

Best,
  -- David

[1] http://patchwork.newartisans.com
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: [babel] Collection of code block snippets
@ 2011-09-14 12:10                               ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-09-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi David

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> Hi Martyn,
>
> At Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:09:17 +0100,
> Martyn Jago wrote:
>> I'll do some work on testing against version 23 and 22 and maybe put
>> together a how-to get ERT on those earlier systems (on linux).
>
> Just read this through Org mode's patch tracker[1] and coincidentally
> started to work on the test framework, too. To get a recent ERT
> running on Emac22 we need to backport parts of simple.el as of Emacs23
> -- doing this is scheduled for the upcoming weekend in my Org mode.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm still working on other tests at the moment,
so its great you're already working on testing legacy systems. I was also
intending on firing up a windows machine for testing purposes too if
that is going to be useful (OSX and Ubuntu are my usual systems).

>> For fun I hacked together a test results parser using org babel, which
>> calls your script from within a shell block, passing the results to a
>> parser block. Output is in the form of org mode headings and
>> sub-headings. I've attached it in case you were interested (org babel
>> was just great for doing this).
>
> This is great. This would be useful for non-babel tests, too. There
> are some tests for link escaping and link export -- I'm going to
> extend the latter (that's why I started to work on the testing
> framework in the first place).

Great to hear that further tests are in the pipeline.

Best, Martyn