* Archive subtree shown on emacs 22
@ 2009-04-17 13:24 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-17 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been noticing recently that when I hit TAB on a subtree with an
:ARCHIVE: tag in the git repo org in Emacs 22, the headlines in the
subtree briefly flash on the screen prior to the message:

,----
| Subtree is archived and stays closed.  Use <C-tab> to cycle it anyway.
`----

This is by no means an urgent issue, but the behavior is mildly
distracting, and I do not remember it before. (Sorry I can't be more
specific).

I am currently using:

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0) on a
MacBook with OS 10.5.6.

Can anyone else confirm the same issue? I was wondering if this was
perhaps caused by a recent change to org.el, such as the addition
org-pre-cycle-hook. (Pure speculation, which I need to test. Will get
back to the list on this...)

Or, perhaps this is normal behavior and I simply never noticed it
before. If so, please do tell me.

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: Archive subtree shown on emacs 22
@ 2009-04-17 14:05 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-17 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Can anyone else confirm the same issue? I was wondering if this was
> perhaps caused by a recent change to org.el, such as the addition
> org-pre-cycle-hook. (Pure speculation, which I need to test. Will get
> back to the list on this...)

I can confirm that org-pre-cycle-hook is *not* the cause, as I checked
out the commit before it was added and the archive subtree still briefly
displayed when I hit TAB. My apologies for the "pure speculation."

@ 2009-04-17 16:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't see this problem...

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-17 21:35   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-17 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I don't see this problem...
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>
>> I've been noticing recently that when I hit TAB on a subtree with an
>> :ARCHIVE: tag in the git repo org in Emacs 22, the headlines in the
>> subtree briefly flash on the screen prior to the message:
>>
>> ,----
>> | Subtree is archived and stays closed.  Use <C-tab> to cycle it
>> anyway.
>> `----

For what it's worth, I can confirm that this problem does not occur with
Emacs 23 on Ubuntu or Mac OS (using the same configuration that I use
with Emacs 22).

So it's a puzzle to me why it only happens on Carbon Emacs (Emacs 22).

That said, it's a very minor issue that I can easily live with.

Thanks for checking it out, Carsten.

Matt