* (unknown)
@ 2007-04-04 19:09 Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-04-04 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I really love the integration of remember with org, especially the way
how to insert the notes by moving within the headings-tree.

Is it possible to use this feature also for moving portions of text
via regular copy/paste an org-buffer, and have org automatically adapt
the header levels? I didn't find anything in the manual.

One possible workaround for me is to use remember-clipboard, which has
the drawback, that the clipboard's content is indented, so I always
have to remove the indentation by hand.

What do you think?
Jost

* Re:
@ 2007-04-05  0:26 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-04-05  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jost Burkardt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt@web.de> writes:

> I really love the integration of remember with org, especially the way
> how to insert the notes by moving within the headings-tree.
>
> Is it possible to use this feature also for moving portions of text
> via regular copy/paste an org-buffer, and have org automatically adapt
> the header levels? I didn't find anything in the manual.

C-c C-x C-w will cut a subtree, which you can paste with C-c C-x C-y,
and it will automatically adapt the header levels.  You can navigate
to where you want to insert it with C-c C-j, which works a lot like
selecting your place with org-remember.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* C-c C-j (was: )
@ 2007-04-05 14:01   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-04-05, Jason F. McBrayer said:

>> I really love the integration of remember with org, especially the way
>> how to insert the notes by moving within the headings-tree.
>>
>> Is it possible to use this feature also for moving portions of text
>> via regular copy/paste an org-buffer, and have org automatically adapt
>> the header levels? I didn't find anything in the manual.
>
> C-c C-x C-w will cut a subtree, which you can paste with C-c C-x C-y,
> and it will automatically adapt the header levels.  You can navigate
> to where you want to insert it with C-c C-j, which works a lot like
> selecting your place with org-remember.

I also found C-c C-j convenient. However, it is quite weak when
navigating through a big file with various levels of subtrees. I
wonder would it be useful to add the support of navigating subtrees on
the same level?

* Re: C-c C-j
@ 2007-04-05 14:08     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-05 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-04-05, Leo said:

> I also found C-c C-j convenient. However, it is quite weak when
> navigating through a big file with various levels of subtrees. I
> wonder would it be useful to add the support of navigating subtrees on
> the same level?

I know C-c C-b and C-c C-f navigate on the same level. I was thinking
of making M-<up/down> navigate on the same level after hitting C-c
C-j.

* Re: Re: C-c C-j
@ 2007-04-05 16:46       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 5, 2007, at 16:08, Leo wrote:

> On 2007-04-05, Leo said:
>
>> I also found C-c C-j convenient. However, it is quite weak when
>> navigating through a big file with various levels of subtrees. I
>> wonder would it be useful to add the support of navigating subtrees on
>> the same level?
>
> I know C-c C-b and C-c C-f navigate on the same level. I was thinking
> of making M-<up/down> navigate on the same level after hitting C-c
> C-j.

The keymap for org-goto has many more entries - seems like I never
documented this properly.  Here is the complete list.  Maybe
the n - p - f - p - u keys are what you are looking for?

TAB        org-cycle
down       outline-next-visible-heading
up         outline-previous-visible-heading
n          outline-next-visible-heading
p          outline-previous-visible-heading
f          outline-forward-same-level
b          outline-backward-same-level
u          outline-up-heading
C-c C-n    outline-next-visible-heading
C-c C-p    outline-previous-visible-heading
C-c C-f    outline-forward-same-level
C-c C-b    outline-backward-same-level
C-c C-u    outline-up-heading

RET        org-goto-ret
left       org-goto-left
right      org-goto-right
q          org-goto-quit
C-g        org-goto-quit

0-9        digit-argument

- Carsten

* Re: C-c C-j
@ 2007-04-05 18:25         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-04-05, Carsten Dominik said:

> The keymap for org-goto has many more entries - seems like I never
> documented this properly.  Here is the complete list.  Maybe
> the n - p - f - p - u keys are what you are looking for?
[...]

Indeed, this is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome!