* Problem with 7.02 - org-capture-templates not set from init file
@ 2010-11-01 14:06 Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2010-11-01 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Since moving from org-version 7.01 to 7.02, the variable
"org-capture-templates", which I set in my .emacs.el in a
custom-set-variables is not being set. No error is generated, just the
variable remains nil.

Here's how I set it:

 '(org-capture-templates (quote (("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline "Tasks.org" "Tasks") "* TODO %?
	    %i
	    %a") ("c" "Care" entry (file+headline "Care.org" "Care Notes") "* %? %U
	    %i
	    %a") ("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "Journal.org") "*
 %?"))))

Am I doing something funny here, or did something break?

* Re: Problem with 7.02 - org-capture-templates not set from init file
@ 2010-11-01 19:48 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-01 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey DeLeo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 1, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Jeffrey DeLeo wrote:

> Since moving from org-version 7.01 to 7.02, the variable
> "org-capture-templates", which I set in my .emacs.el in a
> custom-set-variables is not being set. No error is generated, just the
> variable remains nil.

Are you sure this is different in 7.1 and 7.2?  Is the variable
nil or undefined?

The think is, the custom-set-variables only stores the intended value.
If the variable is not yet defined (i.e. org-capture.el not yet loaded),
it will wait until you load the package and then set the variable to
the customized value.

- Carsten

@ 2010-11-02 14:29   ` Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2010-11-02 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

One thing I noticed that changed in org-install.el from 7.01h to 7.02 -
in 7.02 is being explicitly defined in org-install.el as nil, that
wasn't happening before.

7.01h:
 ;;;### (autoloads (org-capture-import-remember-templates org-capture-insert-template-here
 ;;;;;;  org-capture) "org-capture" "lisp/org-capture.el" (19549 1164))
 ;;; Generated autoloads from lisp/org-capture.el

 (autoload 'org-capture "org-capture" "\
 Capture something.
 \\<org-capture-mode-map>
 This will let you select a template from `org-capture-templates', and then
 file the newly captured information.  The text is immediately inserted
 at the target location, and an indirect buffer is shown where you can
 edit it.  Pressing \\[org-capture-finalize] brings you back to the previous state
 of Emacs, so that you can continue your work.

 When called interactively with a \\[universal-argument] prefix argument GOTO, don't capture
 anything, just go to the file/headline where the selected template
 stores its notes.  With a double prefix argument \\[universal-argument] \\[universal-argument], go to the last note
 stored.

 When called with a `C-0' (zero) prefix, insert a template at point.

 Lisp programs can set KEYS to a string associated with a template in
 `org-capture-templates'.  In this case, interactive selection will be
 bypassed.

 \(fn &optional GOTO KEYS)" t nil)

7.02
 ;;;### (autoloads (org-capture-import-remember-templates org-capture-insert-template-here
 ;;;;;;  org-capture org-capture-templates) "org-capture" "lisp/org-capture.el"
 ;;;;;;  (19658 27920))
 ;;; Generated autoloads from lisp/org-capture.el

 (defvar org-capture-templates nil "\
 Templates for the creation of new entries.

 Each entry is a list with the following items:

 keys         The keys that will select the template, as a string, characters
              only, for example \"a\" for a template to be selected with a
              single key, or \"bt\" for selection with two keys.  When using
              several keys, keys using the same prefix key must be together
              in the list and preceded by a 2-element entry explaining the
              prefix key, for example

                      (\"b\" \"Templates for marking stuff to buy\")

              The \"C\" key is used by default for quick access to the
              customization of the template variable.  But if you want to use
              that key for a template, you can.

 description  A short string describing the template, will be shown during
              selection.

 type         The type of entry.  Valid types are:
                entry       an Org-mode node, with a headline. Will be
                            filed as the child of the target entry or as
                            a top-level entry.
                item        a plain list item, will be placed in the
                            first plain list at the target
                            location.
                checkitem   a checkbox item.  This differs from the
                            plain list item only is so far as it uses a
                            different default template.
                table-line  a new line in the first table at target location.
                plain       text to be inserted as it is.

 target       Specification of where the captured item should be placed.
              In Org-mode files, targets usually define a node.  Entries will
              become children of this node, other types will be added to the
              table or list in the body of this node.

              Valid values are:

              (file \"path/to/file\")
                  Text will be placed at the beginning or end of that file

              (id \"id of existing org entry\")
                  File as child of this entry, or in the body of the entry

              (file+headline \"path/to/file\" \"node headline\")
                  Fast configuration if the target heading is unique in the file

              (file+olp \"path/to/file\" \"Level 1 heading\" \"Level 2\" ...)
                  For non-unique headings, the full path is safer

              (file+regexp  \"path/to/file\" \"regexp to find location\")
                  File to the entry matching regexp

              (file+datetree \"path/to/file\")
                  Will create a heading in a date tree

              (file+function \"path/to/file\" function-finding-location)
                  A function to find the right location in the file

              (clock)
                 File to the entry that is currently being clocked

              (function function-finding-location)
                 Most general way, write your own function to find both
                 file and location

 template     The template for creating the capture item.  If you leave this
              empty, an appropriate default template will be used.  See below
              for more details.  Instead of a string, this may also be one of

                  (file \"/path/to/template-file\")
                  (function function-returning-the-template)

              in order to get a template from a file, or dynamically
              from a function.

 The rest of the entry is a property list of additional options.  Recognized
 properties are:

  :prepend            Normally newly captured information will be appended at
                      the target location (last child, last table line,
                      last list item...).  Setting this property will
                      change that.

  :immediate-finish   When set, do not offer to edit the information, just
                      file it away immediately.  This makes sense if the
                      template only needs information that can be added
                      automatically.

  :empty-lines        Set this to the number of lines the should be inserted
                      before and after the new item.  Default 0, only common
                      other value is 1.

  :clock-in           Start the clock in this item.

  :clock-resume       Start the interrupted clock when finishing the capture.

  :unnarrowed         Do not narrow the target buffer, simply show the
                      full buffer.  Default is to narrow it so that you
                      only see the new stuff.

  :table-line-pos     Specification of the location in the table where the
                      new line should be inserted.  It looks like \"II-3\"
                      which means that the new line should become the third
                      line before the second horizontal separator line.

  :kill-buffer        If the target file was not yet visited by a buffer when
                      capture was invoked, kill the buffer again after capture
                      is finalized.

 The template defines the text to be inserted.  Often this is an org-mode
 entry (so the first line should start with a star) that will be filed as a
 child of the target headline.  It can also be freely formatted text.
 Furthermore, the following %-escapes will be replaced with content:

   %^{prompt}  prompt the user for a string and replace this sequence with it.
               A default value and a completion table ca be specified like this:
               %^{prompt|default|completion2|completion3|...}
   %t          time stamp, date only
   %T          time stamp with date and time
   %u, %U      like the above, but inactive time stamps
   %^t         like %t, but prompt for date.  Similarly %^T, %^u, %^U.
               You may define a prompt like %^{Please specify birthday
   %n          user name (taken from `user-full-name')
   %a          annotation, normally the link created with `org-store-link'
   %i          initial content, copied from the active region.  If %i is
               indented, the entire inserted text will be indented as well.
   %c          current kill ring head
   %x          content of the X clipboard
   %^C         interactive selection of which kill or clip to use
   %^L         like %^C, but insert as link
   %k          title of currently clocked task
   %K          link to currently clocked task
   %^g         prompt for tags, with completion on tags in target file
   %^G         prompt for tags, with completion on all tags in all agenda files
   %^{prop}p   prompt the user for a value for property `prop'
   %:keyword   specific information for certain link types, see below
   %[pathname] insert the contents of the file given by `pathname'
   %(sexp)     evaluate elisp `(sexp)' and replace with the result

   %?          After completing the template, position cursor here.

 Apart from these general escapes, you can access information specific to the
 link type that is created.  For example, calling `org-capture' in emails
 or gnus will record the author and the subject of the message, which you
 can access with \"%:from\" and \"%:subject\", respectively.  Here is a
 complete list of what is recorded for each link type.

 Link type               |  Available information
 ------------------------+------------------------------------------------------
 bbdb                    |  %:type %:name %:company
 vm, wl, mh, mew, rmail  |  %:type %:subject %:message-id
                         |  %:from %:fromname %:fromaddress
                         |  %:to   %:toname   %:toaddress
                         |  %:fromto (either \"to NAME\" or \"from NAME\")
                         |  %:date
                         |  %:date-timestamp (as active timestamp)
                         |  %:date-timestamp-inactive (as inactive timestamp)
 gnus                    |  %:group, for messages also all email fields
 w3, w3m                 |  %:type %:url
 info                    |  %:type %:file %:node
 calendar                |  %:type %:date")

 (custom-autoload 'org-capture-templates "org-capture" t)

[...]

* Re: Re: Problem with 7.02 - org-capture-templates not set from init file
@ 2010-11-02 15:30     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-11-02 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey DeLeo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 2, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Jeffrey DeLeo wrote:

> One thing I noticed that changed in org-install.el from 7.01h to
> 7.02 -
> in 7.02 is being explicitly defined in org-install.el as nil, that
> wasn't happening before.

That is right.  However, when org-capture gets loaded, the value will
change to the customize value - I hope.

Greetings

- Carsten

> [...]
> and then
> file the newly captured information.  The text is immediately inserted
> at the target location, and an indirect buffer is shown where you can
> edit it.  Pressing \\[org-capture-finalize] brings you back to the
> previous state
> of Emacs, so that you can continue your work.
>
> When called interactively with a \\[universal-argument] prefix
> argument GOTO, don't capture
> anything, just go to the file/headline where the selected template
> stores its notes.  With a double prefix argument \\[universal-
> argument] \\[universal-argument], go to the last note
> stored.
>
> When called with a `C-0' (zero) prefix, insert a template at point.
>
> Lisp programs can set KEYS to a string associated with a template in
> `org-capture-templates'.  In this case, interactive selection will be

- Carsten

* Re: Problem with 7.02 - org-capture-templates not set from init file
@ 2010-11-02 17:40       ` Jeffrey DeLeo
From: Jeffrey DeLeo @ 2010-11-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

OK, I found the problem. In my emacs init file, further down I had:

(require 'gnus-load) ;; for dev gnus
(require 'message)
(require 'bbdb)
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-icalendar)
(require 'org-mobile)

Removing these requires results in working org and not stomping on
org-capture-templates.

* Re: Problem with 7.02 - org-capture-templates not set from init file
@ 2010-11-02 21:12         ` Anupam Sengupta
From: Anupam Sengupta @ 2010-11-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey DeLeo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > OK, I found the problem. In my emacs init file, further down I
    > had: (require 'gnus-load) ;; for dev gnus (require 'message)
    > (require 'bbdb) (require 'org-install) (require 'org-icalendar)
    > (require 'org-mobile) ...

    > Removing these requires results in working org and not stomping on
    > org-capture-templates.

I am somewhat confused here.  Why would removal of the `require'
statements fix the problem?  Should we not *have* (require 'org-install)
in order to have the latest org-mode be activated and loaded?

Actually, I am having the same problem here after upgrading to 7.02.
Hitting C-cc does run `org-capture' correctly, but the value of
`org-capture-templates' (which was set using the customize interface,
and has been saved to a separate emacs-custom.el file) does not have the
set value.

Using C-h v on `org-capture-templates', I get:

,----
|     org-capture-templates is a variable defined in `org-capture.el'.
|     Its value is nil
|
|     Documentation:
|     Templates for the creation of new entries.
`----

Specifically, the value of this variable remains as `nil', and
attempting to view the value via `customize-variable' returns a state of
"CHANGED outside Customize".  However, the actual value is empty.

,----
|     Org Capture Templates:
|     INS
|     State: CHANGED outside Customize; operating on it here may be unreliable.
|     Templates for the creation of new entries.
`----

I am running GNU Emacs 23.2.50 and org-version does confirm org-7.02.

BTW, whats with the org-7.3 on http://orgmode.org?

Anupam Sengupta