* CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-19  9:18 Rainer M Krug
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-19  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I am looking for examples / templates for CVs written using org, as I
decided to ose org for my CV.

I fund this oldish conversation

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-04/msg00096.html

and these two templates for using org to write a CV:

https://github.com/punchagan/resume
https://github.com/fasheng/fsh-orgmode-latex-cv

as well this CV without .org file

http://adamsonj.ninth.su/cv.html

Also, there does not seem to be anything on worg.

- Can somebody give any further info on org and CVs?
- How do you do it (I don't assume you write your CVs in Word?), or are
you using LaTeX directly?
- Any other examples and templates online?

If I get enough, I will compile a summary for worg, but I need examples
and information.

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-19 10:10 ` Tory S. Anderson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2014-09-19 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I do mine in LaTeX and haven't had a reason to change that. I keep a "Master" CV/resumé with all the gratuitous information in all categories, then make subdirs for each submission and the trimmed-down versions of my resume that I sent out. At this stage in my career–where I am still tailoring resumés to employers and not really keeping a no-holds-barred CV— this is the best workflow I've found. I'm not sure how I'd go about versioning, trimming, and tracking things as neatly in an all-org environment.

I'm presuming you just want a full-disclosure CV, though? Org makes more sense there.

@ 2014-09-19 10:29   ` Andreas Kiermeier
From: Andreas Kiermeier @ 2014-09-19 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

like Tory I prepare my CV using latex directly. I've been using
"moderncv" for several years now and have been quite happy with it
(though that was before I've started using org). But even now, I can't
see how using org, would add to what I already have.

Mind you, I tend to add to my CV (mainly publications and experience)
and revise it when needed, rather than adapt it to different
situations.

Cheers,

Andreas

@ 2014-09-19 15:06     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-09-19 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kiermeier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Like the rest, I picked straight LaTeX, as it just felt like forcing Org to
do something unnatural, in my opinion. At least, if you get into any sort
of formatting stuff, it just didn't feel right. Here's some other mailing
list discussions if you haven't run into them:
- https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg37000.html
- http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/Fv8aAUnm6O4rHfVY6k0p

And a github repo:
- https://github.com/fasheng/fsh-orgmode-latex-cv

I still have a bookmarks folder in Chromium from when I was hunting around.
Here are the ones that, apparently, I found worth to make the Ctrl+D cut
for future reference if you're interested
-
http://linux.dsplabs.com.au/resume-writing-example-latex-template-linux-curriculum-vitae-professional-cv-layout-format-text-p54/
- http://www.latextemplates.com/templates/curriculum_vitaes/6/cv_6.tex
- http://jblevins.org/projects/cv-template/
- http://nitens.org/taraborelli/cvtex

I haven't updated mine since 2011, when I updated it for my current job. I
went with an internal CV so that I could list accomplishments that would be
considered confidential (patent applications, internal reports, etc.). I
did create a dummy version, which I've attached (tex/pdf). Re-looking at
it, I can't decide if I still like it or not. At the time, I was really
happy with it as my first LaTeX CV :) I'd also probably consider it a
hybrid CV/resume -- I liked describe some of my previous job
responsibilities, while including papers/presentations/etc.

Good luck!
John

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Andreas Kiermeier <
andreas.kiermeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> like Tory I prepare my CV using latex directly. I've been using
> "moderncv" for several years now and have been quite happy with it
> (though that was before I've started using org). But even now, I can't
> see how using org, would add to what I already have.
>
> Mind you, I tend to add to my CV (mainly publications and experience)
> and revise it when needed, rather than adapt it to different
> situations.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas
>

> On 19 September 2014 19:40, Tory S. Anderson <torys.anderson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I do mine in LaTeX and haven't had a reason to change that. I keep a
> "Master" CV/resumé with all the gratuitous information in all categories,
> then make subdirs for each submission and the trimmed-down versions of my
> resume that I sent out. At this stage in my career–where I am still
> tailoring resumés to employers and not really keeping a no-holds-barred CV—
> this is the best workflow I've found. I'm not sure how I'd go about
> versioning, trimming, and tracking things as neatly in an all-org
> environment.
> >
> > I'm presuming you just want a full-disclosure CV, though? Org makes more
> sense there.
> >
> > Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am looking for examples / templates for CVs written using org, as I
> >> decided to ose org for my CV.

[-- Attachment #2: cv-henderson-dummy_2011-07.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: cv-henderson-dummy_2011-07.tex --]

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-19 15:38 ` Dan Griswold
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Griswold @ 2014-09-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Unlike the others, I moved my CV from LaTeX to org-mode and I'm happy with
the results. Two things make it work well.

First, a "cv" class added to org-latex-classes:

(add-to-list '("cv"
"\\documentclass[10pt]{article}\n\\usepackage[margin=.75in]{geometry}\n%\\usepackage{palatino}\n\\usepackage{sectsty}\n\\sectionfont{\\normalsize\\selectfont\\itshape}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{libertine}\n\\renewcommand*\\oldstylenums[1]{{\\fontfamily{fxlj}\\selectfont
#1}}"
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))

Second, something like the following at the top of the org file (replace
with your particulars):

#+TITLE:
#+DATE:
#+LaTeX_CLASS: cv

#+BEGIN_LATEX
\begin{flushleft}
  \bfseries\Large Curriculum Vitae\hfill Daniel M. Griswold\normalfont
\end{flushleft}

\vspace{-12pt}%
\begin{flushright}
  69 Stratton Road\\
  Rochester, NY 14610\\
  (585) xxx-xxxx\\
  dgriswol@xxxxx.com\\
  \hrulefill
\end{flushright}
#+END_LATEX

@ 2014-09-19 17:15       ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2014-09-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: Andreas Kiermeier, emacs-orgmode

Very nice, John. Thanks for sharing the LaTeX!

@ 2014-09-19 19:52 ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-09-19 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 9/19/2014 2:18 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Hi
>
> - How do you do it (I don't assume you write your CVs in Word?), or are
> you using LaTeX directly?

Nice question, I will enjoy reading all the examples in this thread.

For a bit, I tried to make org do everything, like export resumes to
Word, Writer, LaTeX and ASCII from one tree. Eventually, I couldn't
justify managing all the moving parts, but maybe one day...

So I abandoned the export to word processors, though I had succeeded in
applying template files. Too much going on behind the scenes for me, and
requests for Word resumes should be rare enough that I just have notes
on how to quickly format a resume there. After all, with so many OS and
fonts, sending a Word document across OS can have unpredictable results.
PDF or plain text is the way to go. (Interpretive dance is okay too.)

And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.

But what I do still use is export to ASCII, as editing an ASCII resume
layout is a pain. Here is the crux of my template for that

#+NAME: setup # I have no idea what this line is for, I found it on worg
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results silent :exports none
(setq org-ascii-headline-spacing '(0 . 1))
(setq org-ascii-inner-margin 5)
(setq org-ascii-underline '((ascii nil ?= nil)))
#+END_SRC

* resume :export:

#+BEGIN_CENTER
Brady Trainor\\
algebrat@uw.edu -- (206) 898-4124
#+END_CENTER

** Experience
*** Jan 0000-Present     Position
Location\\
Job description.

... etc.

This is nice for sites that seem to prefer plain text, or demand it. I'm
considering removing the centering, as some sites seem to remove the
whitespace up to first character (B).

Brady

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-19 20:18   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-09-19 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
> discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
> others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.

One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-19 23:01     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-19 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>
>> And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
>> discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
>> others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.
>
> One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
> moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".

You can even do it all on the LaTeX side, e.g. redefining description
(or using ¤+ATTR_LATEX) to make use of the description form

    "- year :: item"

Together with rebinding the title-command it should be pretty easy to
make a CV.

I never worked the LaTeX CV classes as I did not care for their
default looks, but it's very easy to use KOMA for CVs.

—Rasmus

--
⠠⠵

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-20  0:49 ` Dan Griswold
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Griswold @ 2014-09-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Not sure anybody saw this the first time, so I'll try again, with some
expansion.

Unlike the others who've commented, I moved my CV from LaTeX to org-mode

#1}}"
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))

Second, something like the following at the top of the org file (replace
with your particulars):

#+TITLE:
#+DATE:
#+LaTeX_CLASS: cv

#+BEGIN_LATEX
\begin{flushleft}
  \bfseries\Large Curriculum Vitae\hfill Daniel M. Griswold\normalfont
\end{flushleft}

\vspace{-12pt}%
\begin{flushright}
  69 Stratton Road\\
  Rochester, NY 14610\\
  (585) xxx-xxxx\\
  dgriswol@xxxxx.com\\
  \hrulefill
\end{flushright}
#+END_LATEX

Main headings are things like:

* Education
* Specialization
* Employment
* Publications
* Awards and Honors

and the details below each of these headings are simply unordered lists

I really like the easy of editing in org-mode this gives me.

Hope this helps,

Dan

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-20  5:56   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2014-09-20  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know I am being lazy in not trying it out, but if you could share a PDF, it would give us an idea of what this gives you.

Vikas

@ 2014-09-20  6:36   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-09-20  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Le sam.  20 sept. 2014  à 02:49:03  , Dan Griswold  <kc5gmr@gmail.com> a
envoyé ce message:
> Not sure anybody saw this the first time, so I'll try again, with some expansion.
>
> Unlike the others who've commented, I moved my CV from LaTeX to org-mode and I'm happy with the results. Two things make it work well.
>
> First, a "cv" class added to org-latex-classes:
>
> (add-to-list '("cv" "\\documentclass[10pt]{article}\n\\usepackage[margin=.75in]{geometry}\n%\\usepackage{palatino}\n\\usepackage{sectsty}\n\\sectionfont{\\normalsize\\selectfont\\
> itshape}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{libertine}\n\\renewcommand*\\oldstylenums[1]{{\\fontfamily{fxlj}\\selectfont #1}}"
> ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))
Hello Dan, hello the list,

I guess that there  is a code problem in this (add-to-list  ...) , in my
init.el (or custom.el) , it produces this warning:

Wrong number of arguments: #[(list-var element &optional append compare-fn) \b\204\v
J\235\202>\b\305=\203
J>\202>\b\306=\203&\307
J"\202>
J\211\203<\b	\v@"\204<\vA\211\204-\v)\203D
J\207
\f\203R\304
J	C"\202V
JBL\207  [compare-fn  element  list-var  lst  append  eq  eql  memql]  5
1615569], 1

Now a suggestion:  there is "moderncv" class in texlive  and I wonder if
it is difficult to make an add-to-list for this class in order to export
a CV both in latex and in html.

I have no time at the moment to try this solution.

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-20  7:45 ` Xavier Garrido
From: Xavier Garrido @ 2014-09-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

You can see mine https://github.com/xgarrido/org-resume that uses
org-mode to produce a LaTeX->PDF (see attached file) file as well as an
HTML version.

Hope it gives you some ideas.

Cheers,
Xavier

Le 19/09/2014 11:18, Rainer M Krug a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I am looking for examples / templates for CVs written using org, as I
> decided to ose org for my CV.
>
> I fund this oldish conversation
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-04/msg00096.html
>
> and these two templates for using org to write a CV:
>
> https://github.com/punchagan/resume
> https://github.com/fasheng/fsh-orgmode-latex-cv
>
> as well this CV without .org file
>
> http://adamsonj.ninth.su/cv.html
>
> Also, there does not seem to be anything on worg.
>
> - Can somebody give any further info on org and CVs?
> - How do you do it (I don't assume you write your CVs in Word?), or are
> you using LaTeX directly?
> - Any other examples and templates online?
>
> If I get enough, I will compile a summary for worg, but I need examples
> and information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

[-- Attachment #2: resume.pdf --]

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-21 19:59     ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2014-09-21 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brady Trainor

Hello,

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>
>> And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
>> discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
>> others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.
>
> One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
> moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".

I did actually make a start on this, I'll dig it out and put it
somewhere accessible, soon.

Myles

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?
@ 2014-09-22  8:23   ` Rainer M Krug
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First of all, thanks to everybody so far who responded to this
question.

I reply to my question directly, as I am trying to sum up the replies
so far (the complete thread is theoretically below).

There are effectively two "schools",

- using LaTeX (Tory, Andreas, John and Brady), and
- using org (Dan, Myles(?) and Xavier)

The reasons for using LaTeX directly were mainly the simplicity of
using LaTeX directly instead of telling org how to export to the
format wanted, while the reasons for using org were simplicity of
editing in org and the export to different formats (apart from pdf
also html).

I will not go further into the LaTeX as there is a vast amount of info
available on the Internets.

My reasoning why I want to use org instead of LaTeX is the same as
mentioned in the thread, which is the simplicity of editing in org.
In addition, I like the different backends, and that the actual
content is separated from the export.

I like Dan's approach as it looks relatively simple, although I still
have to look into it in detail (and as Joseph notes, there must be a
problem in the code).

Xavier's approach looks *very* impressive. I like the pdf, and I am
seriously thinking of using it, but my problem is the complexity - if
it breaks, I have no idea where to fix it. But as the original CV is
in org, the data would be there and I simply have to change the
export / publishing.

So what am I going to do?  I think I will start entering the CV into
org and then use Xavier's or Dan's approach and then see if I can get
a layout I like.

I like the idea of Rasmus to re-define the description environment,
and I might also play with this.

I think that org could be a perfect environment for building CVs if
one could come up with an HOWTO and many examples how to do it - and I
think this is going into the right direction.

So thanks a lot everybody for their input so far and keep the comments
and ideas flowing.

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22  8:24         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: Andreas Kiermeier, emacs-orgmode

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Very nice, John. Thanks for sharing the LaTeX!

I agree - thanks.

I will take a closer look later and possibly use some ideas.

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22  8:28   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> On 9/19/2014 2:18 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> - How do you do it (I don't assume you write your CVs in Word?), or are
>> you using LaTeX directly?
>
> Nice question, I will enjoy reading all the examples in this thread.
>
> For a bit, I tried to make org do everything, like export resumes to
> Word, Writer, LaTeX and ASCII from one tree. Eventually, I couldn't
> justify managing all the moving parts, but maybe one day...

I am only thinking about export to LaTeX / pdf and html, but ASCII might
be nice as well.

> So I abandoned the export to word processors, though I had succeeded in
> applying template files. Too much going on behind the scenes for me, and
> requests for Word resumes should be rare enough that I just have notes
> on how to quickly format a resume there. After all, with so many OS and
> fonts, sending a Word document across OS can have unpredictable results.
> PDF or plain text is the way to go. (Interpretive dance is okay too.)

Completely agree - it would not be worth to keep that route up for a
CV.

> And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
> discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
> others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.

Yes - moderncv looks nice. Would be interested in suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22  8:30       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>>
>>> And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
>>> discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
>>> others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.
>>
>> One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
>> moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".
>
> You can even do it all on the LaTeX side, e.g. redefining description
> (or using ¤+ATTR_LATEX) to make use of the description form
>
>     "- year :: item"
>
> Together with rebinding the title-command it should be pretty easy to
> make a CV.

I am not a LaTeX expert, so could you please elaborate a bit on this, as
it sounds like a reasonable approach, and also relatively easy to
implement?

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22  8:31       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brady Trainor, Nicolas Goaziou

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>
>> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>>
>>> And I did have a decent export to LaTeX resume from org, but after
>>> discovering moderncv, I've switched, though I will be curious to read
>>> others' methods of org-to-moderncv export.
>>
>> One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
>> moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".
>
> I did actually make a start on this, I'll dig it out and put it
> somewhere accessible, soon.

I guess that this would be the best approach, but definitely not for me
to complete due to my lack of deeper elisp and LaTeX knowledge.

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22  8:32     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> I know I am being lazy in not trying it out, but if you could share a
> PDF, it would give us an idea of what this gives you.

Yes - an example pdf would be great.

Rainer

From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Dan Griswold, Emacs-orgmode

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> writes:

> Le sam.  20 sept. 2014  à 02:49:03  , Dan Griswold  <kc5gmr@gmail.com> a
> envoyé ce message:
>> Not sure anybody saw this the first time, so I'll try again, with some expansion.
>>
>> Unlike the others who've commented, I moved my CV from LaTeX to
>> org-mode and I'm happy with the results. Two things make it work
>> well.
>>
>> First, a "cv" class added to org-latex-classes:
>>
>> (add-to-list '("cv"
>> "\\documentclass[10pt]{article}\n\\usepackage[margin=.75in]{geometry}\n%\\usepackage{palatino}\n\\usepackage{sectsty}\n\\sectionfont{\\normalsize\\selectfont\\
>> itshape}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{libertine}\n\\renewcommand*\\oldstylenums[1]{{\\fontfamily{fxlj}\\selectfont
>> #1}}"
>> ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))
> Hello Dan, hello the list,
>
> I guess that there  is a code problem in this (add-to-list  ...) , in my
> init.el (or custom.el) , it produces this warning:

Same here - I guess it has to do with linebreaks?

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22  8:33   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Garrido; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Garrido <xavier.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> You can see mine https://github.com/xgarrido/org-resume that uses
> org-mode to produce a LaTeX->PDF (see attached file) file as well as
> an HTML version.
>
> Hope it gives you some ideas.

I can only say *wow*! This looks seriously impressive to me.

I will have to take a closer look and see if I understand it and can
make it do what I want it to. But it looks nicely commented.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-22 11:55     ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]     ` <87fvfihfh8.fsf@gmx.us>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-09-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> I like Dan's approach as it looks relatively simple, although I still
> have to look into it in detail (and as Joseph notes, there must be a
> problem in the code).

> Dan Griswold <kc5gmr@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> First, a "cv" class added to org-latex-classes:
>>
>> (add-to-list '("cv"
>>
>> "\\documentclass[10pt]{article}\n\\usepackage[margin=.75in]{geometry}\n%\\usepackage{palatino}\n\\usepackage{sectsty}\n\\sectionfont{\\normalsize\\selectfont\\itshape}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{libertine}\n\\renewcommand*\\oldstylenums[1]{{\\fontfamily{fxlj}\\selectfont
>> #1}}"
>>   ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))

> Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Le sam.  20 sept. 2014  à 02:49:03  , Dan Griswold  <kc5gmr@gmail.com> a
>> envoyé ce message:
>>
>> I guess that there  is a code problem in this (add-to-list  ...) , in my
>> init.el (or custom.el) , it produces this warning:
>>
>> Wrong number of arguments: #[(list-var element &optional append compare-fn) \b\204\v
>> J\235\202>\b\305=\203
>> J>\202>\b\306=\203&\307
>> J"\202>
>> J\211\203<\b	\v@"\204<\vA\211\204-\v)\203D
>> J\207
>> \f\203R\304
>> J	C"\202V
>> JBL\207  [compare-fn  element  list-var  lst  append  eq  eql  memql]  5
>> 1615569], 1

The problem is that the add-to-list needs a list to work on:

(add-to-list 'org-latex-classess '("cv" "\documentclass ...." ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))

--
Nick

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-22 21:37       ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2014-09-22 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brady Trainor

Myles English writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>
>> One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
>> moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".
>
> I did actually make a start on this, I'll dig it out and put it
> somewhere accessible, soon.

..and here it is:

https://github.com/mylese/ox-cv

It kind of works, I haven't tried it with org more recent than about
July.  I'll be trying to develop it further myself but would welcome a
lot of input from others.  Alternatively, if someone wants to take it
over completely, that would be fine too.

Myles

* Re: CV in orgmode for export to pdf (and html?)
@ 2014-09-23  6:56         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-23  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brady Trainor, Nicolas Goaziou

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> Myles English writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>>
>>> One option could be to define a specialized latex back-end dedicated to
>>> moderncv class, much like "ox-koma-letter.el" does for "scrlttr2".
>>
>> I did actually make a start on this, I'll dig it out and put it
>> somewhere accessible, soon.
>
> ..and here it is:
>
> https://github.com/mylese/ox-cv

This looks very nice - thanks.

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-23  9:06     ` Rasmus
       [not found]     ` <87fvfihfh8.fsf@gmx.us>
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-23  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

Thanks for the summary Rainer.

> I think that org could be a perfect environment for building CVs if
> one could come up with an HOWTO and many examples how to do it - and I
> think this is going into the right direction.

I think the "right" approach is cooking up a reasonable way to
represent CVs and make an ox-cv with a customized interface (like
ox-koma-letter where ordering of blocks can also be changed
"on-the-go") and provide some nice default "themes".  It should either
build on an established LaTeX cv package or just KOMA-Script like
Xavier's CV (and mine).  I didn't check the ox-cv.el that was posted
carefully.

That being said, I don't have much time for this right now.

It would be nicer to handle something like a CV in org than LaTeX.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
Evidence suggests Snowden used a powerful tool called monospaced fonts

@ 2014-09-23  9:24       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-23  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
> Thanks for the summary Rainer.

Hope I didn't forget anything...

>> I think that org could be a perfect environment for building CVs if
>> one could come up with an HOWTO and many examples how to do it - and I
>> think this is going into the right direction.
>
> I think the "right" approach is cooking up a reasonable way to
> represent CVs and make an ox-cv with a customized interface (like
> ox-koma-letter where ordering of blocks can also be changed
> "on-the-go") and provide some nice default "themes".  It should either
> build on an established LaTeX cv package or just KOMA-Script like
> Xavier's CV (and mine).  I didn't check the ox-cv.el that was posted
> carefully.

Yes - this might be the most "org-ish" approach, and the most stable
(over time).

> That being said, I don't have much time for this right now.

Isn't there a worg / org page, where these ideas are collected (TODO?
Feature Requests, ...)? I fear that this becomes forgotten again
(including myself!), as CVs are not something one uses regularly...

I unfortunately have not the elisp knowledge to contribute much here.

> It would be nicer to handle something like a CV in org than LaTeX.

I completely agree with you - I have it at the moment in LyX, but I am
fixing issues each time I need a CV.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug

@ 2014-10-29 19:35   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-10-29 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Tory S. Anderson <torys.anderson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do mine in LaTeX and haven't had a reason to change that.

The same holds for me.

When it comes to microtypography and optimization (squeeze the CV
into 3 pages instead of 4 with a single paragraph on page 4, ...), I
am much more efficient with LaTeX and without the Org-export
border.

> I keep a "Master" CV/resumé with all the gratuitous information in
> all categories, then make subdirs for each submission and the
> trimmed-down versions of my resume that I sent out.

Contrary to Tory, I keep my CV in a git repository and started to
use branches for stripped down versions.