* Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13  3:26 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2014-02-13  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey guys,

If you are on a Mac, you *should* start using this:

https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port

I've been having some serious issues with the vanilla Cocoa Emacs lately on
Mavericks, including a nasty memory leak that would somehow trigger
distnoted and put the CPU usage at 100% every hour or so.

Besides being quite stable, it has some nice usability improvements made
specifically to make Emacs integrate better with OSX. My orgmode experience
has been much better since I started using it!

Thought I'd share :)

Cheers,

Marcelo.

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13  9:21 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-02-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey guys,
>
> If you are on a Mac, you *should* start using this:
>
> https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port
>
> I've been having some serious issues with the vanilla Cocoa Emacs lately
> on Mavericks, including a nasty memory leak that would somehow trigger
> distnoted and put the CPU usage at 100% every hour or so.
>
> Besides being quite stable, it has some nice usability improvements made
> specifically to make Emacs integrate better with OSX. My orgmode
> experience has been much better since I started using it!

I second this. Things I really like are:
- fast flyspell (I was having issues because of syntax highlighting in
vanilla emacs);
- several full screen modes (native OS X fullscreen, or just "take the
whole screen with no menu bar" version, which I prefer);
- smooth scrolling;
- double tap with three fingers to get dictionary entries (OK, I admit
it's a gimmick, but it's fun nonetheless).

Alan

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13  9:25   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-02-13  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> - smooth scrolling;

I'm curious about this one -- any screencast demonstrating
this?  Any hint on what part of the Emacs display engine has
been improved to get this?

 Bastien

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13 12:07     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-02-13 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> - smooth scrolling;
>
> I'm curious about this one -- any screencast demonstrating
> this?  Any hint on what part of the Emacs display engine has
> been improved to get this?

I don't know how to make a screencast ... but what I refer to is this in
the feature list
(https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port/blob/master/README-mac):

  * Pixel-based mouse wheel smooth scroll for newer mice/trackpads.

Searching for a bit, I think it's related to this code:

https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port/blob/4d82e17570bbae61bcea04d41a1148b3b4a57082/lisp/term/mac-win.el#L1863

Alan

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13 13:27       ` Bernd Haug
From: Bernd Haug @ 2014-02-13 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Hi Alan,

On 13 February 2014 13:07, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> I don't know how to make a screencast ...

Somewhat off-topic, but just use Quicktime Player:
File > New Screen Recording.

I like to recode the resulting file afterwards using Handbrake,
reducing resolution (and stripping the sound track or even color where
possible) allows quite tiny files with a good frame rate.

Cheers, Bernd
--
Senior Software Engineer

Xaidat GmbH
Wickenburggasse 5
8010 Graz
Austria / Europe

web: http://www.xaidat.com/
phone:  +43-676-845023-706
email:   bernd.haug@xaidat.com

FN 384295s, LG ZRS Graz
UID-Nr. ATU67414611

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13 14:42 ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-02-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:26:42PM -0600, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> If you are on a Mac, you *should* start using this:
>
> https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port
>
> I've been having some serious issues with the vanilla Cocoa Emacs lately on Mavericks, including a nasty memory leak that would somehow trigger distnoted and put the CPU usage
> at 100% every hour or so.
>
> Besides being quite stable, it has some nice usability improvements made specifically to make Emacs integrate better with OSX. My orgmode experience has been much better since
> I started using it!
>
> Thought I'd share :)

Wow! Thanks, Marcelo. If this is indeed the cause of the performance
problems I've been seeing, this will save me many agonizing hours. I
never suspected emacs in these problems, but I've certainly seen
distnoted turn into a complete CPU hog. I have emacs running all the
time, so if that's the cause, this will be a huge relief.

Thanks!

-pd

--
----
Peter Davis

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13 16:05 ` Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2014-02-13 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

> Hey guys,
> If you are on a Mac, you *should* start using this:

> https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port

+1

I swear by this port.

A few other cool things it has:

High resolution versions of tool bar icons and the splash screen image for Retina.

- DictionaryService support
      You can look up a word under the mouse pointer in the selected
      window by typing Command-Control-D (or double/single-tapping a
      trackpad with three fingers on Mac OS X 10.7/10.8, resp.).

* Pixel-based mouse wheel smooth scroll for newer mice/trackpads.
* Gesture event handling for newer trackpads.  By default, pinch
  out/in are bound to text size scaling.  With the shift key, they
  turn on/off fullscreen status of the frame.

+ tons more

The port is developed by YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu and his last announcement is at:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-12/msg00952.html

Damon

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13 18:14     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2014-02-13 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, Org Mode

@Bastien Yeah, this is one of my favorite features. Check it out:
http://screencast.com/t/RVd0wfTJzVt

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
> > - smooth scrolling;
>
> I'm curious about this one -- any screencast demonstrating
> this?  Any hint on what part of the Emacs display engine has
> been improved to get this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-02-13 20:15   ` Haider Rizvi
From: Haider Rizvi @ 2014-02-13 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

>> If you are on a Mac, you *should* start using this:
>>
>> https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port
>>
>> I've been having some serious issues with the vanilla Cocoa Emacs lately
>> on Mavericks, including a nasty memory leak that would somehow trigger
>> distnoted and put the CPU usage at 100% every hour or so.

Interesting, because with the Emacs (from emacsforosx.com), I have
been hitting 100% cpu problem again and again lately. I had tried out
this port, but I hit 2 issues and put it aside:

- with the same theme (solarized-dark), the background with the
railwaycat port is darker!  minor issue, of course.
- gnus (when trying to access nntps servers with gnutls) gets
stuck. I'll need to debug that, unless someone has a trick up their
sleeve.

I may just give it a try for my regular work, I run gnus in a
different Emacs, so that can continue to run on the other port.

Haider

* Re: Emacs Mac Port
@ 2014-03-01  8:10       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)