* What does C-c C-r do?
@ 2007-03-25  8:51 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-25  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I still haven't figured out what `C-c C-r' does. Can someone give me
an example to see the effect of C-c C-r? Thanks in advance.

,----[ (info "(org)Visibility cycling") ]
| `C-c C-r'
|      Reveal context around point, showing the current entry, the
|      following heading and the hierarchy above.  Useful for working
|      near a location exposed by a sparse tree command (*note Sparse
|      trees::) or an agenda command (*note Agenda commands::).  With
|      prefix arg show, on each level, all sibling headings.
`----

* Re: What does C-c C-r do?
@ 2007-03-26 15:00 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 25, 2007, at 10:51, Leo wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I still haven't figured out what `C-c C-r' does. Can someone give me
> an example to see the effect of C-c C-r? Thanks in advance.

1. Set all context variables to nil:

(setq org-show-hierarchy-above nil
       org-show-following-heading nil
       org-show-siblings nil)

2. Use a simple hierarchy, with (for example) TODO entries, like this.

* main 1
** sub
*** sub 1-1
*** sub 1-2
*** TODO sub 1-3
*** sub 1-4
**** deeper
*** sub 1-5

3. Display the TODO sparse tree with C-c C-v.

4. Move the cursor into the TODO line and observe the effects
of C-c C-r and C-u C-c C-r.

C-c C-r is there to show more context around an exposed location,
to "repair" the tree.

Basically, C-c C-r will show the sibling following the TODO match,
so that you can easily edit the TODO subtree and know exactly
where it ends.

C-u C-c C-r will "repair" the tree to a state which you could also
have gotten using visibility cycling: Start at OVERVIEW visibility,
and then press TAB at "main" and then TAB at "sub".

Hope this make it clearer.

- Carsten

> ,----[ (info "(org)Visibility cycling") ]
> | `C-c C-r'
> |      Reveal context around point, showing the current entry, the
> |      following heading and the hierarchy above.  Useful for working
> |      near a location exposed by a sparse tree command (*note Sparse
> |      trees::) or an agenda command (*note Agenda commands::).  With
> |      prefix arg show, on each level, all sibling headings.
> `----
>
> Regards,
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: What does C-c C-r do?
@ 2007-03-26 15:23   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-26 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-26, Carsten Dominik said:

> On Mar 25, 2007, at 10:51, Leo wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I still haven't figured out what `C-c C-r' does. Can someone give me
>> an example to see the effect of C-c C-r? Thanks in advance.
>
> 1. Set all context variables to nil:
>
> (setq org-show-hierarchy-above nil
>       org-show-following-heading nil
>       org-show-siblings nil)

Since these variables are not nil by default, does that mean C-c C-r
is not very useful by default.

> 2. Use a simple hierarchy, with (for example) TODO entries, like
[...]
> Hope this make it clearer.

Yes it does. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

> - Carsten

* Re: Re: What does C-c C-r do?
@ 2007-03-26 15:32     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-26 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 26, 2007, at 17:23, Leo wrote:

> On 2007-03-26, Carsten Dominik said:
>
>> On Mar 25, 2007, at 10:51, Leo wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I still haven't figured out what `C-c C-r' does. Can someone give me
>>> an example to see the effect of C-c C-r? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> 1. Set all context variables to nil:
>>
>> (setq org-show-hierarchy-above nil
>>       org-show-following-heading nil
>>       org-show-siblings nil)
>
> Since these variables are not nil by default, does that mean C-c C-r
> is not very useful by default.

Yes, partially.  C-c C-r does indeed nothing.

The default for show-siblings is nil, so C-u C-c C-r does
something useful in this case.

I personally have them all set to nil to get compact trees,
but I don't do this for the distribution, because people do
not understand outlines well enough and will by accident delete
invisible characters and add text in hidden locations.

- Carsten