* MobileOrg on DropBox for Teams
@ 2010-11-27 19:18 Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-27 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is the location on DropBox where the iPhone app expects to find the org
files hard-coded (to "/MobileOrg"), or is it customizable?

I've tried messing with org-mobile-directory on the emacs side and with
the "Index File" field on the iPhone app, but it didn't work. I tried:

I set org-mobile-directory to:
 ~/Dropbox/<mydir>/MobileOrg

and on the iPhone I set "Index File" to:
/<mydir>/MobileOrg/index.html

It didn't complain when syncing but I got no files on the iPhone (I'd
org-mode-push'ed first).

Tommy

P.S. I've previously had MobileOrg syncing working fine with the files
in the default place. So my basic setup appears to be fine.

P.P.S. The reason I ask is we use DropBox for Teams. If we had multiple
MobileOrg users, then the default setting would cause collisions since
all our files would be getting dropped in /MobileOrg. It would be better
if we could have the files kept in individualized directories,
e.g. within user-specific DB folders.

* Re: MobileOrg on DropBox for Teams
@ 2010-11-27 19:31 ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-11-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tommy,

You should be able to rename the MobileOrg directory from within the web
interface once you've linked MobileOrg to your Dropbox account.  You'll
know it worked because the renamed folder will continue to have the same
special icon that it had prior to the rename, indicating that it is
linked to an application.

You won't need to change anything on the iPhone side, it doesn't really
know what folder its data is stored in.  However, in your .emacs, you'll
want to change org-mobile-directory to your newly directory name.

Hope this helps,
Richard

@ 2010-11-28  5:01   ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-28  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> You should be able to rename the MobileOrg directory from within the web
> interface once you've linked MobileOrg to your Dropbox account.

Thanks Richard, that worked fine.

But does that mean there's a bit of coordination to manage if multiple
users all decided they want to use MobileOrg? In turn, each user would
get their top level MobileOrg folder up and running, then move it down a
level, so as to make space for the next user who'd do the same?

> ... the iPhone ... doesn't really know what folder its data is stored
> in.

Spooky :-)

* Re: Re: MobileOrg on DropBox for Teams
@ 2010-11-28 14:41     ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-11-28 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:01 -0600, "Tommy Kelly" <tommy.kelly@verilab.com>
wrote:
> > You should be able to rename the MobileOrg directory from within the
> > web  interface once you've linked MobileOrg to your Dropbox account.
>
> Thanks Richard, that worked fine.
>
> But does that mean there's a bit of coordination to manage if multiple
> users all decided they want to use MobileOrg? In turn, each user would
> get their top level MobileOrg folder up and running, then move it down
> a level, so as to make space for the next user who'd do the same?

I'm not sure how your account sharing is setup:  if you are all using
the same credentials, you will probably run into trouble.  Each Dropbox
account will only get a single 'magic' MobileOrg folder, so if everyone
is sharing a single login, I don't see how it will work.  It would
probably be possible to change MobileOrg to support specifying the
folder in your Dropbox account that it should use, but I have
reservations about that. The way I use the API now, MobileOrg only has
access to its own sandbox/special folder.  There's no way it could
accidentally mess with/expose/etc your other Dropbox files.

The other option is to let each user have their own Dropbox account and
simply share folders from a master account to each person.

Hope this helps,

Richard

* Re: MobileOrg on DropBox for Teams
@ 2010-11-28 15:54       ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-28 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Richard Moreland" <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:
> ... I'm not sure how your account sharing is setup:  if you are all using
> the same credentials, you will probably run into trouble. ...
> The other option is to let each user have their own Dropbox account and
> simply share folders from a master account to each person.

DropBox For Teams is a third option[1]. Teams gives you a block of
shared space and a set of accounts (each with their own authentication
credentials) that share that space. The entry level is 350G of space and
five accounts.

From an authentication point of view, it acts just like each user having
their own DB account. However, the difference is that with Teams,
everyone has access (assuming the sharing allows it) to the full 350G of
space[2].

Actually ... I've just realized that there's no problem. Every user
*can* have their own MobileOrg at the DB root, provided they don't share
it with anyone else. In fact, even if they did share it, it would merely
appear in someone else's view with a number appended to the name (just
as happens right now if there's already a MobileOrg folder in DB when
MobileOrg first starts). But then I don't know what the iPhone client
would do if it spotted multiple genuine MobileOrg "(n)" folders at the
DB root.

But I think the general solution -- in a DB for Teams environment --
would be to recognize that the entire DB space is being shared among
separately authenticating users, a la a set of unix home
directories. I'm willing to bet that as Teams develops (it must still be
in beta, hence it not being advertized) its multi-user-ness will become
more obvious and demanding of app support.

OK - conclusion. No change needed on anything right now. It's all
good[3].

Tommy

[1] We've been using it for over a year now but AFAICT it's still not
being advertized.

[2] Compare an entry-level DB for teams -- five users, 350G of space --
with five completely individual accounts, each with 70G. If no one is
sharing anything (and DB is being used by each user merely only to sync
personal data among multiple machines) then they're pretty much the same
thing, assuming an even share of the 350G in the Teams case. But when
sharing, Teams is better. With Teams, the maximum shared space is 350G,
whereas with the individual accounts the maximum is still only 70G.

[3] But if the Teams edition is to be embraced, then making the location
of the MobileOrg files controllable *from within the setups of both
emacs and the mobile device* (as opposed to after setting up, via a move
of the folder) is probably advisable.