* Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-03 20:31 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2018-04-03 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been trying to grok LOB again. So I've cloned the worg git and
library-of-babel.el is one of the files. org-babel-lob-injest didn't work,
so I customized org-babel-lob-files and inserted
.../worg/library-of-babel.el . . . and it did in fact get added to my
init.el under the custom-set-variables:

 '(org-babel-lob-files (quote ("~/org/worg/library-of-babel.org")))

I checked org-babel-library-of-babel variable, and the new things seemed to
be there, although it's rather mind-bending to know I will be calling LOB
code that is internally stored inside of an association list.

Now, in my org file I put this:

#+lob: write(file="jsontest")

and try C-c C-c on it. Nothing. My minibuffer says "local setup has been
refreshed". How does one use, call a LOB function? Also, while I'm
demonstrating my rank noobian-ness, I try this:

#+name: myelsquare
#+header: :var x=0
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (* x x)
#+end_src

#+call: myelsquare(x=6)

#+RESULTS:
: 36

but this results in

#+name: myelsquare
#+header: :var x=0
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun myelsquare (x)
      (* x x))
#+end_src

#+call: myelsquare(x=6)

#+RESULTS:
: myelsquare2

After a #+call:... I use C-c C-c to evaluate it. What am I missing here?

LB

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-03 20:44 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been trying to grok LOB again. So I've cloned the worg git and
> library-of-babel.el is one of the files. org-babel-lob-injest didn't
> work,

What doesn't work? You call `org-babel-lob-ingest', specify a file, and
it stores all source code blocks in the file for later use.

> Now, in my org file I put this:
>
> #+lob: write(file="jsontest")

This should be #+call: write(...)

> and try C-c C-c on it. Nothing. My minibuffer says "local setup has been
> refreshed". How does one use, call a LOB function? Also, while I'm
> demonstrating my rank noobian-ness, I try this:
>
> #+name: myelsquare
> #+header: :var x=0
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (* x x)
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: myelsquare(x=6)
>
> #+RESULTS: : 36
>
> but this results in
>
> #+name: myelsquare
> #+header: :var x=0
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (defun myelsquare (x)
>       (* x x))
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: myelsquare(x=6)
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : myelsquare2
>
> After a #+call:... I use C-c C-c to evaluate it. What am I missing
> here?

Your second block defines a function, but doesn't return its results.
"#+call: myelsquare(...)" expects to find a block named "myelsquare",
not an Elisp function named "myelsquare".

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-03 21:39 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2018-04-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 3, 2018, at 1:31 PM, Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been trying to grok LOB again. So I've cloned the worg git and library-of-babel.el is one of the files. org-babel-lob-injest didn't work,

Try

M-x org-babel-lob-ingest RET org/worg/library-of-babel.org RET

Don't be a jester, be an ingester. ;-)

> so I customized org-babel-lob-files and inserted .../worg/library-of-babel.el . . . and it did in fact get added to my init.el under the custom-set-variables:
>
>  '(org-babel-lob-files (quote ("~/org/worg/library-of-babel.org")))
>
> I checked org-babel-library-of-babel variable, and the new things seemed to be there, although it's rather mind-bending to know I will be calling LOB code that is internally stored inside of an association list.
>
> Now, in my org file I put this:
>
> #+lob: write(file="jsontest")

See (info"(org) Evaluating code blocks")

The proper idiom is

	#+call: write(file="jsontest")

Of course, there needs to be a proper 'write' src block in the file you ingested, etc.

> and try C-c C-c on it. Nothing. My minibuffer says "local setup has been refreshed". How does one use, call a LOB function? Also, while I'm demonstrating my rank noobian-ness, I try this:
>
> #+name: myelsquare
> #+header: :var x=0
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (* x x)
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: myelsquare(x=6)
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 36
>
> but this results in
>
> #+name: myelsquare
> #+header: :var x=0
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (defun myelsquare (x)
>       (* x x))
> #+end_src
>
> #+call: myelsquare(x=6)
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : myelsquare2

Is this *verbatim* ? Did you cut and paste everything (including the trailing `2') all at once? If so, I do not get it.

I would have expected

#+RESULTS:
: myelsquare

 which is the correct behavior.

To see why put point in the myelsquare src block and type C-c C-v v

then move point to the end of the 'preview' buffer and type C-x C-e.

Look at the value echo-ed in the minibuffer.

If it still isn't clear maybe `M-x (symbol-function 'myelsquare)' will help.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-04 22:52   ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2018-04-04 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

The docs <https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html> have this
example:

#+name: square
#+header: :var x=0
#+begin_src python
return x*x
#+end_src

#+call: square(x=6)

...so yes, "return", but with

(defun myelsquare (x)
   (* x x))

isn't the final thing evaluated what is "returned" with Elisp? AFAIK there
is no explicit return with Elisp. #+call can't really call a function, only
named blocks of REPL-style calculator snippets?

Also, today I find that a new start of Emacs doesn't load my LOB file, i.e.,

(custom-set-variables
 '(org-babel-lob-files (quote ("~/org/worg/library-of-babel.org")))

was being blown off, i.e., not populating the org-babel-library-of-babel
variable. But today org-babel-lob-injest does seem to work, i.e., it did
populate org-babel-library-of-babel. I wonder what's up.

@ 2018-04-06 22:15   ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2018-04-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess I need more information. For example, what is C-c C-v v doing
exactly? Then C-x C-e? And  M-x (symbol-function 'myelsquare) doesn't work.
Again,

#+name: myelsquare
#+header: :var x=0
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x=0
  (defun myelsquare (x)
    (* x x))
#+end_src

is Lisp code where the last thing should be returned. From
library-of-babel.org:

#+name: json
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var file='() :var url='()
  (require 'json)
  (cond
   (file
    (org-babel-with-temp-filebuffer file
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (json-read)))
   (url
    (require 'w3m)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (w3m-retrieve url)
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (json-read))))
#+end_src

And this calling a sample json-containing file gives

#+call: json(file="jsontest1")

| glossary | (title . example glossary) | (GlossDiv (title . S) (GlossList
(GlossEntry (ID . SGML) (SortAs . SGML) (GlossTerm . Standard Generalized
Markup Language) (Acronym . SGML) (Abbrev . ISO 8879:1986) (GlossDef (para
. A meta-markup language, used to create markup languages such as DocBook.)
(GlossSeeAlso . [GML XML])) (GlossSee . markup)))) |

which is correct, although not in list form. So again I'm looking at elisp
code that is not in the form of a function. So I'm guessing "functions"
cannot be #+call'ed, just "headless" elisp code. So what advantage does LOB
offer?

@ 2018-04-06 23:59     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2018-04-06 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Lawrence,

#+name: myelsquare
#+header: :var x=0
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var x=0
  (defun myelsquare (x)
    (* x x))
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: myelsquare
: myelsquare

Assuming myelsquare has been evaluated:

#+name: eval-myelsquare
#+header: :var y=2
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(myelsquare y)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: eval-myelsquare
: 4

#+call: eval-myelsquare(3)

#+RESULTS:
: 9

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-07  2:38       ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2018-04-07  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

[Tom's response covering the main issues deleted]

> hth,
> Tom
>
> Lawrence Bottorff writes:
>
>> I guess I need more information. For example, what is C-c C-v v doing
>> exactly? Then C-x C-e? And  M-x (symbol-function 'myelsquare) doesn't work.

`C-h k' is really your friend here. If you do not know it, try typing it twice `C-h k C-h k'.

As for the specific keystrokes mentioned above:

,----[ C-h k C-c C-v v ]
| C-c C-v v runs the command org-babel-expand-src-block (found in
| org-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
| function in ‘ob-core.el’.
|
| It is bound to C-c C-v v, C-c C-v C-v.
|
| (org-babel-expand-src-block &optional ARG INFO PARAMS)
|
| Expand the current source code block.
| Expand according to the source code block’s header
| arguments and pop open the results in a preview buffer.
|
| [back]
`----

In your case, it shows that the `mtelsquare' src block expands to:

,----
`----

,----[ C-h k C-x C-e ]
| C-x C-e runs the command eval-last-sexp (found in global-map), which
| is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘elisp-mode.el’.
|
| It is bound to C-x C-e.
|
| (eval-last-sexp EVAL-LAST-SEXP-ARG-INTERNAL)
|
| Evaluate sexp before point; print value in the echo area.
| Interactively, with prefix argument, print output into current buffer.
|
| Normally, this function truncates long output according to the value
| of the variables ‘eval-expression-print-length’ and
| ‘eval-expression-print-level’.  With a prefix argument of zero,
| however, there is no such truncation.  Such a prefix argument
| also causes integers to be printed in several additional formats
| (octal, hexadecimal, and character).
|
| If ‘eval-expression-debug-on-error’ is non-nil, which is the default,
| this command arranges for all errors to enter the debugger.
|
| [back]
`----

So with point at the end of the preview buffer for myelsquare (which has one `let' expression it it) it has the same effect as running `eval-buffer'. viz, the elisp function `myelsquare' is created.

If you have gotten this far, there is an lisp function called `myelsquare' and the `symbol-function' expression will return its value when properly `eval'ed. I misspoke before. I should have said

	M-: (symbol-function 'myelsquare) RET

And that value is `(lambda (x) (* x x))'. Which simply shows you have defun'ed a function and what it is.

Once you have an elisp function, the natural way to call it is src_emacs-lisp{(myelsquare 1.5)}.

One thing you can do with LOB blocks is use them in header args of src blocks just as you would use calls to ordinary src blocks.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-10 18:55         ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2018-04-10 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the help. However, one mystery still remains: Why is this

 '(org-babel-lob-files (quote ("~/org/worg/library-of-babel.org")))

in my init.el's custom-set-variables not getting handled? I always have to
do an org-babel-lob-ingest to actually get library-of-babel.org loaded.

@ 2018-04-10 19:26           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2018-04-10 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Lawrence,

You probably want (org-babel-lob-ingest &optional FILE)

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-11 13:29             ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2018-04-11 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'll try that, Thomas, but this was set up by simply doing the on-board
customize, i.e., it needs to have this corrected. So how do I request this
correction?

@ 2018-04-11 16:57               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2018-04-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Lawrence,

Lawrence Bottorff writes:

> I'll try that, Thomas, but this was set up by simply doing the
> on-board
> customize, i.e., it needs to have this corrected. So how do I
> request this
> correction?

There are instructions here:

https://orgmode.org/org.html#Feedback

You'll need to indicate which customization option you've set and
what you expected to happen vs. what actually happened.

I don't use customize and am not familiar with it, but when I
looked through the Babel section this morning I didn't find an
option to ingest a library of babel.  Perhaps I missed it, or it
is found somewhere else?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Library of Babel confusion
@ 2018-04-11 18:20               ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2018-04-11 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Apr 11, 2018, at 6:29 AM, Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'll try that, Thomas, but this was set up by simply doing the on-board customize, i.e., it needs to have this corrected. So how do I request this correction?

The idiom Tom gave you is correct. There are no variables for you to handle yourself - it all happens under the hood.

Chuck