From: "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: maurizio.vitale@polymath-solutions.com
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [babel] Re: Re: [org-babel] Idea: Rendering output of code blocks inline (like org links)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:34:13 -0600	[thread overview]

Maurizio Vitale
<mav@cuma.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me> writes:

>     Eric> 3) the results of a source code block are in no way
>     Eric> constrained to be located after the body of the block.  In
>     Eric> cases where they are not located near each other the body
>     Eric> would be invisible (which is not desirable) and when viewing
>     Eric> the results there would be no way to tell if there is or isn't
>     Eric> a source-block hidden beneath it
>
> For this to be useful for what the OP wanted to achieve it should be
> possible to ask for re-evaluation when on the result block.

the only tricky part of this would be capturing C-c C-c when on results,
as this key binding already has a well defined meaning in most results
types (for example in tables).  However if we are willing to introduce a
new keybinding the actual function would be relatively simple given the
helper functions mentioned below.

> Also, it would be nice to be able to switch easily between source and
> result blocks (maybe this is possible, haven't checked).

there are currently functions which return the location of a results
block when called from a source block, and vice versa.

(org-babel-where-is-src-block-result &optional INSERT)

(org-babel-find-named-block name)

The only issue in exposing these to the user is the possibility of
polluting the already very dense space of Org-mode keybindings.

> Maybe with this additional functionality one can get most of the
> hiding-the-source functionality and put all the source blocks in the
> final page of the document.

Ah, I think I understand.  That would be a much simpler path towards
achieving much of the "hiding" functionality originally proposed.  I
will add this discussion in a PROPOSED state to the Org-babel task list.

Thanks -- Eric