* Org appt notifications with Growl (OSX)
@ 2012-02-29 18:04 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-29 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi folks,

What is the best way to setup notifications to work with Growl for orgmode?
I know org can work with emacs Appt system, but is anyone currently using
it with Growl for notifications?

If you could point me to the right direction, I'd be grateful.

- Marcelo.

* Re: Org appt notifications with Growl (OSX)
@ 2012-02-29 18:35 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> What is the best way to setup notifications to work with Growl for orgmode? I know org can work with
> emacs Appt system, but is anyone currently using it with Growl for notifications?
>
> If you could point me to the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Somebody asked the same question back in 2010:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27530

Oh, wait - it was you :-)

There were a few replies back then: have you tried those
suggestions?

Nick

* Re: Org appt notifications with Growl (OSX)
@ 2012-02-29 19:00   ` Shine Zhong
From: Shine Zhong @ 2012-02-29 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

There is a good tool integrate with Growl, "todochiku"
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ToDoChiKu

Here is the section of my .emacs
---
;; begin todochiku, enable the growlnotify
(load-file "~/.emacs.d/plugins/todochiku.el")
(setq todochiku-icons-directory "~/Downloads/todochiku-icons")
;; end todochiku

;; begin: orgmode + appt
; For org appointment reminders
;; Get appointments for today
(defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (interactive)
  (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
  (org-agenda-to-appt))

;; Run once, activate and schedule refresh
(my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)
(run-at-time "24:01" nil 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)

; Update appt each time agenda opened.
(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
;; end:   orgmode + appt
---

Regards,
Shine

@ 2012-02-29 23:20     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-29 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shine Zhong; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Oh crap! I tried a google search but it didn't brought any results. I did
not remember. I'm sorry about that.

I will check it out, thanks!

@ 2012-02-29 23:21       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-02-29 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shine Zhong; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

@Shine thanks! I'll try that.

@ 2012-03-01  0:32 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2012-03-01  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi folks, What is the best way to setup notifications to work with Growl for
> orgmode? I know org can work with emacs Appt system, but is anyone currently
> using it with Growl for notifications?

> If you could point me to the right direction, I'd be grateful.

I recommend adding support for alert.el to Org-mode, which was created for
just this purpose:

    https://github.com/jwiegley/alert

It solves the general problem, not just "sending alerts through Growl".  Once
a package uses alert.el, the user can customize what gets alert and how to
their heart's content, while keeping the changes to Org minimal.

John