* Re: org-mac-protocol
       [not found] <20524da70908181529qd72483etdab0c008dca93f3b@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-19  7:40 ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-08-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:29:43 -0700, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of trying org-mac-protocol, but I have questions, and
> perhaps Worg can be updated with the answers to my questions.
>
> First, is org-protocol.el required?  Does org-mac-protocol build on it
> or replace it?

Yes, org-protocol.el is required. As org-protocol.el ships with org-mode
and org-mac-protocol contains (require 'org-protocol), no additional
user intervention is required to install org-protocol (but make sure
you're using org-mode 6.28 or later).

org-protocol.el provides an extendable method of handling links sent to
emacsclient. org-mac-protocol is a suite of AppleScripts that sends
links from various applications and an org-protocol.el handler to
process them. So org-mac-protocol builds on org-protocol.el

> How does it relate to fireforg?  Should I install both if I want
> Firefox tabs to be savable?

No relation to fireforg. I haven't had an opportunity to try fireforg,
but they should coexist happily.

Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't support AppleScript so Firefox is not
compatible with org-mac-protocol. Safari is the only browser supported.

> I mostly want to bookmark tabs from Safari and Firefox on Mac (and
> later when I get a Debian machine on that).
>
> Ideally this would be done without any typing.  Can org-mac-protocol
> be set to just click and make the title and url from a tab go into a
> single remember location?

Safari: yes-ish, although not quite the workflow you describe.

If all you want is title and URL, then calling the org-link AppleScript
will send a link to *org-links* list. These still have to be inserted into
org page of your choice with C-c C-l

Alternatively, you could call the org-remember AppleScript that will pop
up a small remember frame with remember template of your creation. That
can contain title, URL and selected content. A quick C-c C-c will file
the link, destroy the frame and return you to Safari.

> Are there reports that it works on Tiger?

No one has reported. I don't think I used any Leopard specific
AppleScript, so I doubt there will be any problems.

> Finally, I found that the comment about URI escape not being available
> in the git repository is confusing.  Is this a necessary feature?  I
> have no idea why it would not be in git or whether I need it.

Absolutely necessary.

The git repository was only created at somebodies request. It's not the
right place to distribute an AppleScript extension written by another
author.

>I followed the link, and I get what URI escaping is, but don't know
>whether it is necessary for org-mac-protocol.  Should I use the dmg?

If you're on Tiger, your best bet is to download my dmg and follow the
manual install procedure (the installer package is the only Leopard
specific but - Tiger doesn't allow one to automatically install to the
user's home directory).

HTH, Christopher

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-08-19  7:40 UTC | newest]