* [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-25 17:30 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-07-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Since I'm spending more and more time in Emacs, mostly in org mode, I
moved my email reading and writing there. Everything is happily
configured (I'm using gnus), with one exception: email address
completion. I've read a few things online and it seems that bbdb is the
way to go, so I compiled and installed bbdb 3. Unfortunately I could not
find any configuration example online (the ones I found were for bbdb 2,
but things seem to have changed a lot, and the conversion guide in the
emacswiki did not help).

I know this is off topic for this list, but if someone would be willing
to share his configuration, I would very much appreciate it. (I'm not
aiming for much: I want the addresses of messages I read to be added
automatically in bbdb, and to be able to complete from them when writing
a message.)

Thanks a lot,

Alan

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-25 20:51 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2012-07-25 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Since I'm spending more and more time in Emacs, mostly in org mode, I
> moved my email reading and writing there. Everything is happily
> configured (I'm using gnus),

Everything was hunky dory with my gnus...until I upgraded to Emacs 24,
and my multiple IMAP accounts sent it crazy, and now I use mu4e (someone
mentioned it on this list).

> with one exception: email address completion.

This was working for me, except for when more than one address was
stored it would only give the first one.

> I've read a few things online and it seems that bbdb is the way to go,
> so I compiled and installed bbdb 3. Unfortunately I could not find any
> configuration example online (the ones I found were for bbdb 2, but
> things seem to have changed a lot, and the conversion guide in the
> emacswiki did not help).
>
> I know this is off topic for this list, but if someone would be willing
> to share his configuration, I would very much appreciate it. (I'm not
> aiming for much: I want the addresses of messages I read to be added
> automatically in bbdb, and to be able to complete from them when writing
> a message.)

Digging around in my old configuration has yielded all the bbdb3 things
pasted below, may be you will find what you need in there?  Sorry, I
can't test it properly or say exactly which bit you need.  Perhaps
someone else will give a better reply.

Myles

;; from custom-set-variables
;; I think this commented out line got annoying when it nagged me about adding every address
;; '(bbdb/message-update-records-p (lambda nil (let ((bbdb-update-records-p (quote query))) (bbdb-select-message))))
(setq bbdb/message-update-records-p
      (lambda nil
	(let ((bbdb-update-records-p (quote query)))
	  (bbdb-select-message))))

;; BBDB3 ========================================================
(add-to-list 'load-path
	     "/home/myles/.emacs.d/plugins/bbdb/lisp")

(require 'bbdb)
(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(search . search))

(setq bbdb-default-country "UK")
(setq bbdb-phone-style nil) ;; not north american

;; Save BBDB addresses from the people I reply to.
;; Taken from <http://ichimusai.org/emacs/.gnus>
;; (defun cjb-bbdb-add-recipients-to-bbdb ()
;;   (mapcar
;;    (lambda (address)
;;      (let* ((parsed (mail-header-parse-address (bbdb-string-trim address)))
;;             (net (car parsed))
;;             (name (cdr parsed)))
;;        (when (not (bbdb-search-simple name net))
;;          (bbdb-create-internal (cdr parsed) nil (car parsed) nil nil nil))))
;;    (append (message-tokenize-header (message-fetch-field "To:"))
;;            (message-tokenize-header (message-fetch-field "Cc:"))
;;            (message-tokenize-header (message-fetch-field "Bcc:")))))
;; (add-hook 'message-send-mail-hook 'cjb-bbdb-add-recipients-to-bbdb)

;; don't add these addresses
(setq bbdb-ignore-message-alist
      '((("From" "Reply-To") . ".*launchpad.net\\|*launchpad.net\\|*launchpad.net\\|.*@.*.launchpad.net>")
	(("To" "Cc") . "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org\\|.*debbugs.gnu.org\\|olfin\\|.*launchpad.net)))

;;---------------------
;; To stop being nagged to add addresses,
;; From: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/viewmail-info/2012-05/msg00016.html
(setq bbdb-accept-message-alist nil)

(defcustom rf-bbdb/vm-primary-inbox-regexp
  (if (boundp 'vm-primary-inbox) vm-primary-inbox)
  "A regexp matching folder names of primary VM inboxes."
  :group 'bbdb-rf
  :type 'string)

(defun rf-bbdb/vm-ignore-old-folders ()
  "Hook for ignoring all folders except in-boxes.

Set `bbdb/mail-auto-create-p' to this function in order to ignore new
addresses in all folders except the `vm-primary-inbox' or those matching
`bbdb/vm-primary-inbox-regexp'."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (vm-select-folder-buffer)
    (if (and (string-match (or rf-bbdb/vm-primary-inbox-regexp
                               vm-primary-inbox)
                           (buffer-name))
             (bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook))
        'prompt)))

;; end, address nagging
;;---------------------

(setq org-bbdb-anniversary-field 'birthday)

(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "\"")
  'bbdb-mua-display-records)

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-26  3:52 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-07-26  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since I'm spending more and more time in Emacs, mostly in org mode, I
> moved my email reading and writing there. Everything is happily
> configured (I'm using gnus), with one exception: email address
> completion. I've read a few things online and it seems that bbdb is the
> way to go, so I compiled and installed bbdb 3. Unfortunately I could not
> find any configuration example online (the ones I found were for bbdb 2,
> but things seem to have changed a lot, and the conversion guide in the
> emacswiki did not help).
>
> I know this is off topic for this list, but if someone would be willing
> to share his configuration, I would very much appreciate it. (I'm not
> aiming for much: I want the addresses of messages I read to be added
> automatically in bbdb, and to be able to complete from them when writing
> a message.)

In BBDB 3, `bbdb-complete-mail' is the function that takes the string
before point and tries to turn it into something suitable for the "To"
header of the message. In message-mode, with BBDB activated, TAB is
bound to something that eventually calls `bbdb-complete-mail' (actually
uses `bbdb-complete-name', which is deprecated and aliased to
`bbdb-complete-mail').

So, depending on how you're writing your messages in org, you could bind
a convenient key to `bbdb-complete-mail', or overload TAB or something
else so that it checks if you're in the appropriate field, and then does
`bbdb-compelete-mail'.

For adding records automatically to BBDB, you say you're using gnus, but
also say you've moved your email reading to org. Where are you that
you'd like to automatically add the record? In gnus, I've bound ";" to
`bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender', and also have this:

(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))

If I hit ";" on a message, it will show me the records for all the
addresses in the To and CC headers (possibly headers too), and if I
don't have records for any of those headers, it will ask me if I want to
create records. That's the way I like it, you can look at the possible
values for `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p' to get different behaviors.

If you're actually reading your mail in org and want to create records
from there, it might be more complicated, as the BBDB creation functions
seem pretty tied to you being in a MUA of some sort…

Hope that's useful,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-07-23 on pellet

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-26  4:38   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-07-26  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
[...]
> GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
>  of 2012-07-23 on pellet
> 7.8.10

Given that Emacs 24.1.50 ships with Org 7.8.11, why are you still on
7.8.10?

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-26  8:10   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-07-26  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> For adding records automatically to BBDB, you say you're using gnus, but
> also say you've moved your email reading to org. Where are you that
> you'd like to automatically add the record? In gnus, I've bound ";" to
> `bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender', and also have this:
>
> (setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
>
> If I hit ";" on a message, it will show me the records for all the
> addresses in the To and CC headers (possibly headers too), and if I
> don't have records for any of those headers, it will ask me if I want to
> create records. That's the way I like it, you can look at the possible
> values for `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p' to get different behaviors.

This was most helpful. I bound ';' to 'bbdb-mua-edit-field' and it works
great.

Thanks a lot,

Alan

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-26 11:12     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-07-26 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> [...]
>> GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
>>  of 2012-07-23 on pellet
>> 7.8.10
>
> Given that Emacs 24.1.50 ships with Org 7.8.11, why are you still on
> 7.8.10?

Good question! Given that I keep up with the development version of
org-mode, it's an even better question. And yet… I updated org from git
ten minutes ago, did "make clean && make all", reloaded org,
`locate-library' shows the local installation, but there it is in my
signature, output directly from (org-version). Beats me!

Org-mode version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-854-g065401 @ /home/eric/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

I'm at commit 065401cfdb6e4f9da2091a8792a632d1c3c13b0f

Eric

--

@ 2012-07-26 13:46       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-07-26 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26 2012, Achim Gratz wrote:
>
> > Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> > [...]
> >> GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
> >>  of 2012-07-23 on pellet
> >> 7.8.10
> >
> > Given that Emacs 24.1.50 ships with Org 7.8.11, why are you still on
> > 7.8.10?
>
> Good question! Given that I keep up with the development version of
> org-mode, it's an even better question. And yet… I updated org from git
> ten minutes ago, did "make clean && make all", reloaded org,
> `locate-library' shows the local installation, but there it is in my
> signature, output directly from (org-version). Beats me!
>
> Org-mode version 7.8.10 (release_7.8.10-854-g065401 @ /home/eric/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

You probably need to update your tags:

git fetch --tags origin

Nick

> I'm at commit 065401cfdb6e4f9da2091a8792a632d1c3c13b0f
>
> Eric
>
> --
> GNU Emacs 24).1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
>  of 2012-07-23 on pellet
> 7.8.10

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-26 18:10       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-07-26 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>> Given that Emacs 24.1.50 ships with Org 7.8.11, why are you still on
>> 7.8.10?
>
> Good question! Given that I keep up with the development version of
> org-mode, it's an even better question. And yet… I updated org from git
> ten minutes ago,

Well, then you miss a:

git fetch --tags origin

> did "make clean && make all", reloaded org,

If you are on master, then you really should edit local.mk to remove the
line with "oldorg:" so you can just say "make" for doing that.  It's
that simple.  If you want the update from git rolled into it as well,
maybe "make up2" (let "make helpall" give you more ideas).  Lastly, if
that is what you almost always want to do, just put that "up2:" into
local.mk (where "oldorg:" was) and say just "make" anyway.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-26 19:55         ` François Allisson
From: François Allisson @ 2012-07-26 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> If you are on master, then you really should edit local.mk to remove the
> line with "oldorg:" so you can just say "make" for doing that.  It's
> that simple.  If you want the update from git rolled into it as well,
> maybe "make up2" (let "make helpall" give you more ideas).  Lastly, if
> that is what you almost always want to do, just put that "up2:" into
> local.mk (where "oldorg:" was) and say just "make" anyway.

One should add "up2::" in local.mk (with a double-colon). I've just
done it, because I really like "make up2", and it's easier than ever:
"make" and that's it. Great !

Thanks,

François.

* Re: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3
@ 2012-07-27  3:06           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-07-27  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 27 2012, François Allisson wrote:

>> If you are on master, then you really should edit local.mk to remove the
>> line with "oldorg:" so you can just say "make" for doing that.  It's
>> that simple.  If you want the update from git rolled into it as well,
>> maybe "make up2" (let "make helpall" give you more ideas).  Lastly, if
>> that is what you almost always want to do, just put that "up2:" into
>> local.mk (where "oldorg:" was) and say just "make" anyway.
>
> One should add "up2::" in local.mk (with a double-colon). I've just
> done it, because I really like "make up2", and it's easier than ever:
> "make" and that's it. Great !

Wow, I had no idea all that was there -- I remember seeing some
discussion about this earlier, but figured I wouldn't fix it until it
was actually broken. Even if it still wasn't broken, I have to say up1::
makes things a lot more convenient!

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-07-23 on pellet
7.8.11

* local.mk and up2 (Was: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3)
@ 2012-07-27 15:05           ` Alan Schmitt
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-07-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

François Allisson <francois@allisson.co> writes:

> One should add "up2::" in local.mk (with a double-colon). I've just
> done it, because I really like "make up2", and it's easier than ever:
> "make" and that's it. Great !

It works great with one caveat: it's calling "sudo" to do the "make
install". As I install locally, I don't want to use sudo. Is it possible
to configure something in local.mk to do this?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: local.mk and up2 (Was: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3)
@ 2012-07-27 16:14             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-07-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> François Allisson <francois@allisson.co> writes:
>
> > One should add "up2::" in local.mk (with a double-colon). I've just
> > done it, because I really like "make up2", and it's easier than ever:
> > "make" and that's it. Great !
>
> It works great with one caveat: it's calling "sudo" to do the "make
> install". As I install locally, I don't want to use sudo. Is it possible
> to configure something in local.mk to do this?

You can always redefine makefile variables on the command line:

  make SUDO= up2

will redefine SUDO to nothing for this run.

Nick

* Re: local.mk and up2 (Was: [OT] Configuring bbdb 3)
@ 2012-07-27 16:24             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-07-27 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I said:

,----
| You can always redefine makefile variables on the command line:
|
|   make SUDO= up2
|
| will redefine SUDO to nothing for this run.
`----

but I should also have added that you can redefine the variable in
local.mk as well for more permanence:

SUDO =

local.mk is included *after* default.mk, which is where the

SUDO = sudo

line originally defines the SUDO variable, so it overrides the
default.

Nick

* Re: local.mk and up2
@ 2012-07-27 18:08             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-07-27 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt writes:
> François Allisson <francois@allisson.co> writes:
> It works great with one caveat: it's calling "sudo" to do the "make
> install". As I install locally, I don't want to use sudo. Is it possible
> to configure something in local.mk to do this?

SUDO = # nothing, really

There's a comment in default.mk showing this particular setting (since
there are systems *cough* that don't have sudo).  In general, you can
override everything in default.mk via local.mk, but there are some
things that you maybe shouldn't touch.  But if you want to, you can.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: local.mk and up2
@ 2012-07-28 10:56               ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-07-28 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> I said:
>
> ,----
> | You can always redefine makefile variables on the command line:
> |
> |   make SUDO= up2
> |
> | will redefine SUDO to nothing for this run.
> `----
>
> but I should also have added that you can redefine the variable in
> local.mk as well for more permanence:
>
> SUDO =
>
> local.mk is included *after* default.mk, which is where the
>
> SUDO = sudo
>
> line originally defines the SUDO variable, so it overrides the
> default.

Thanks a lot, that worked wonderfully well. Now a single make keeps my
org-mode up to date.

Alan