* Confused about list indentation
@ 2014-05-08 16:44 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2014-05-08 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi,

I am using Org version 8.2.6 (release_8.2.6-949-g751506).

I am a bit confused about indentation in the example at node
'2.7 Plain Lists' in the Org info file:

[quote]
** Lord of the Rings
   My favorite scenes are (in this order)
   1. The attack of the Rohirrim
   2. Eowyn's fight with the witch king
      + this was already my favorite scene in the book
      + I really like Miranda Otto.
   3. Peter Jackson being shot by Legolas
      - on DVD only
      He makes a really funny face when it happens.
   But in the end, no individual scenes matter but the film as a whole.
   Important actors in this film are:
   - Elijah Wood :: He plays Frodo
   - Sean Austin :: He plays Sam, Frodo's friend.  I still remember
     him very well from his role as Mikey Walsh in The Goonies.
[unquote]

The last line aligns the word 'him' directly under 'Sean', which is
what I expect.

The 'He makes a really...' sentence is aligned under the list hyphen,
rather than under 'on DVD...'

Is this not inconsistent? I'd expect it to be indented two extra
positions to the right, similar to the last sentence.

Please advise,

Guido

--
I came to MIT to get an education for myself and a diploma for my mother.

* Re: Confused about list indentation
@ 2014-05-08 18:44 ` Leonard Avery Randall
From: Leonard Avery Randall @ 2014-05-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: orgmode

Guido Van Hoecke wrote:

> I am a bit confused about indentation in the example at node
> '2.7 Plain Lists' in the Org info file:

> The last line aligns the word 'him' directly under 'Sean', which is
> what I expect.
>
> The 'He makes a really...' sentence is aligned under the list hyphen,
> rather than under 'on DVD...'
>
> Is this not inconsistent? I'd expect it to be indented two extra
> positions to the right, similar to the last sentence.

I believe the reason for the disparity is that 'He makes a really funny
face', is supposed to be associated with 'Peter Jackson being shot by
legolas' rather than 'on DVD only'. I believe the example is supposed to
show that list items can contain both subsidiary lists and whole
paragraphs. If the paragraph were supposed to be associated with the
lower level list item it would be indented as you expected.

All the best,
Leonard

* Re: Confused about list indentation
@ 2014-05-09  6:44   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2014-05-09  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonard Avery Randall; +Cc: orgmode

Hi,

Leonard Avery Randall <leonard.a.randall@gmail.com> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
>
>> I am a bit confused about indentation in the example at node
>> '2.7 Plain Lists' in the Org info file:
>>
>> [quote]
>> ** Lord of the Rings
>>    My favorite scenes are (in this order)
>>    1. The attack of the Rohirrim
>>    2. Eowyn's fight with the witch king
>>       + this was already my favorite scene in the book
>>       + I really like Miranda Otto.
>>    3. Peter Jackson being shot by Legolas
>>       - on DVD only
>>       He makes a really funny face when it happens.
>>    But in the end, no individual scenes matter but the film as a whole.
>>    Important actors in this film are:
>>    - Elijah Wood :: He plays Frodo
>>    - Sean Austin :: He plays Sam, Frodo's friend.  I still remember
>>      him very well from his role as Mikey Walsh in The Goonies.
>> [unquote]
>>

>> The last line aligns the word 'him' directly under 'Sean', which
>> is what I expect.
>>
>> The 'He makes a really...' sentence is aligned under the list hyphen,
>> rather than under 'on DVD...'
>>
>> Is this not inconsistent? I'd expect it to be indented two extra
>> positions to the right, similar to the last sentence.
>
> I believe the reason for the disparity is that 'He makes a really
> funny face', is supposed to be associated with 'Peter Jackson being
> shot by legolas' rather than 'on DVD only'. I believe the example is
> supposed to show that list items can contain both subsidiary lists and
> whole paragraphs. If the paragraph were supposed to be associated with
> the lower level list item it would be indented as you expected.

How does org decide that 'He makes a really...' is not associated with
the current list item? What keystrokes are required to produce this
alignment or the one with the extra indentation?

Guido

--
In these matters the only certainty is that there is nothing certain.
		-- Pliny the Elder

* Re: Confused about list indentation
@ 2014-05-09  8:12     ` Leonard Avery Randall
From: Leonard Avery Randall @ 2014-05-09  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: orgmode

Guido Van Hoecke wrote:

> How does org decide that 'He makes a really...' is not associated with
> the current list item? What keystrokes are required to produce this
> alignment or the one with the extra indentation?

Org determines what headline the text is associated with based upon
indentation (see example below). If you simply press enter after a list
item, the text is not indented, and thus it is not associated with any
list item. If you press tab before entering any text, it will indent to
the level of the most recent list item. In order to have text associated
with a higher level list item, you have to manually delete spaces after
pressing tab or just manually insert the appropriate number of spaces.

Example:

1. List item
- Lower level list item
This text is not associated with any list. Any list items after this
will form a new list.
1. New list item 1
- Lower level list item
This text is associated with lower level list item
2. New list item 2
- Lower level list item 2
This text is associated with 'New list item 2'

Hope this helps,
All best,
Leonard

* Re: Confused about list indentation
@ 2014-05-09 17:53       ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2014-05-09 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonard Avery Randall; +Cc: orgmode

Leonard Avery Randall <leonard.a.randall@gmail.com> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
>
>     How does org decide that 'He makes a really...' is not associated
>     with
>     the current list item? What keystrokes are required to produce
>     this
>     alignment or the one with the extra indentation?
>
> Org determines what headline the text is associated with based upon
> indentation (see example below). If you simply press enter after a
> list item, the text is not indented, and thus it is not associated
> with any list item. If you press tab before entering any text, it will
> indent to the level of the most recent list item. In order to have
> text associated with a higher level list item, you have to manually
> delete spaces after pressing tab or just manually insert the
> appropriate number of spaces.
>
> Example:
>
> 1. List item
> - Lower level list item
> This text is not associated with any list. Any list items after this
> will form a new list.
> 1. New list item 1
> - Lower level list item
> This text is associated with lower level list item
> 2. New list item 2
> - Lower level list item 2
> This text is associated with 'New list item 2'
>
> Hope this helps,

It does, thanks!

Kind regards,

Guido