Aaron Ecay writes: > Hi Rainer, > > I have wondered about what you suggest as well, from the point of view > of trying to modify the long pieces of R code which are embedded in > strings in ob-R.el. I think this would be easier if they could be > tangled from R code blocks in an org file. So from that point of view > the idea has a +1 from me. That is one aspect am looking at (independent of the org file question) at the moment, to make the R code more configurable. My approach is to a) have it in a emacs string variables which can be customized, or b) in an R file which is loaded and used instead of the definition in the variable. If you are interested, please see my org [1] and ess [2] which, at the moment, have to be used together, as I am "outsourcing" the loading at the moment to ESS. Concerning putting them in an org file, I don't see a real advantage here, unless the ob-R.el is also in an org file. > > I am not so convinced that having all the elisp code in an org file > would be convenient, since I am worried that would break the interactive > features of elisp programming. (edebug, find-function, paredit, ...). > But if you are doing the experiment, I would be glad to see what you > come up with: the benefits might turn out to be worth the potential > drawbacks. I am not thinking about having the org files used for actual running org, but rather as a tool to write the code. The workflow would be then: 1) in the org file, write the code for ob-R.el including documentation 2) tangle the file to ob-R.el 3) debug ob-R.el - in R 4) untangle the edits back into the ob-R.org file 5) done So the tools for debugging would be still working on the .el file. Rainer > > -- > Aaron Ecay Footnotes: [1] https://github.com/rkrug/orgmode-dev [2] https://github.com/rkrug/ess-dev -- Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany) Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology Stellenbosch University South Africa Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44 Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98 Fax : +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44 Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44 email: Rainer@krugs.de Skype: RMkrug PGP: 0x0F52F982