* [Mac OS X] - Capture items not clocking-out upon refile
@ 2014-07-26 14:56 Hassan Dar
From: Hassan Dar @ 2014-07-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am running Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and emacs 24.3. I am essentially re-creating Brent Hansen's excellent org-mode setup, detailed here:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#ClockSetup
(I am using pretty much all of his customisations listed on that page, but have linked to the ClockSetup part in case it is relevant)

However I have run in to an issue which seems to be specific to the "vanilla" builds of emacs on the Mac OS platform.

When adding a task via org-capture (C-c c), as per Brent's system the capture item is clocked-in. Once the capture item is amended, if I do a 'C-c C-c' to save the task to the inbox, it clocks-out of the task as intended.

However, if I choose instead to immediately refile the capture item (C-c C-w), the task is not clocked-out automatically upon choosing a refile destination, and instead remains clocked in until I manually clock-out (not intended behaviour).

I have tried emacs builds from various places:

emacsforosx.com

emacs via homebrew (with both the X11 and Cocoa versions)

emacs via macports

Yamamoto Mitsuharu's version via homebrew

The ONLY version which does not replicate this bug is:

aquamacs

Unfortunately I find aquamacs' customisation of emacs quite invasive (for example, my .emacs colour theme does not work out of the box) so it is not an option for me.

The bug does NOT exist on Windows builds of emacs.

I have already tried removing the customisations from my .emacs file, this has not helped. Also I have used the same .emacs file with my customisations with Windows builds and aquamacs and have not run in to the issue so I think I can safely rule out my .emacs file.

Any help would be appreciated!

* Re: [Mac OS X] - Capture items not clocking-out upon refile
@ 2014-07-27 11:29 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hassan Dar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Hassan,

Hassan Dar <h@hassandar.com> writes:

> I am running Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and emacs 24.3.

What is your Org version?

Please report what M-x org-version RET says.

 Bastien

* Re: [Mac OS X] - Capture items not clocking-out upon refile
@ 2014-07-28 18:09   ` Hassan Dar
From: Hassan Dar @ 2014-07-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Bastien,

org-version returns:

Org-mode version 8.2.6 (8.2.6-6-gfc37d1-elpa

@ 2014-07-29 13:33 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-29 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hassan Dar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Hassan,

Hassan Dar <h@hassandar.com> writes:

> When adding a task via org-capture (C-c c), as per Brent's system the
> capture item is clocked-in. Once the capture item is amended, if I do
> a 'C-c C-c' to save the task to the inbox, it clocks-out of the task
> as intended.
>
> However, if I choose instead to immediately refile the capture item
> (C-c C-w), the task is not clocked-out automatically upon choosing a
> refile destination, and instead remains clocked in until I manually
> clock-out (not intended behaviour).

This behavior seems normal to me.  Can you share the relevant parts
of your configuration and, ideally, provide a minimal recipe?

--
 Bastien

* processing lines before display to agenda
@ 2014-07-29 15:13   ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2014-07-29 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would find it quite useful to have a variable similar to
`org-agenda-prefix-format' that would apply changes to the *contents*,
rather than to the *prefix* of agenda items.

The nice thing about `org-agenda-prefix-format' is that it allows
different formatting for different agenda buffers.  Similarly, it would
be useful to be able to supply different functions to alter the agenda
items themselves, depending on the context.

I was thinking that in theory this could be done by advising
`org-agenda-format-item', but I'm not sure how to get the advice to
apply in a conditional way depending on the agenda.

There was a similar discussion related to the specific case of removing
TODO keywords from certain agendas,
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-09/msg00810.html

So, for example: to hide TODO keywords from the agenda:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("a" agenda ""
         ((org-agenda-todo-keyword-format "")))))

But what if, for example, I would like to remove priorities cookies as
well?

* Re: processing lines before display to agenda
@ 2014-07-29 15:17     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-29 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Corneli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Joe,

Joe Corneli <holtzermann17@gmail.com> writes:

> But what if, for example, I would like to remove priorities cookies as
> well?

I would simply hack the agenda display through a function in
`org-agenda-finalize-hook'.

You'd rather hide 10 priority cookies from there instead of letting
`org-agenda-format-item' process possibly thousands of entries.

In any case, `org-agenda-format-item' should be made lighter, not
heavier...

2 cents,

--
 Bastien

* Re: processing lines before display to agenda
@ 2014-07-29 17:19       ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2014-07-29 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> I would simply hack the agenda display through a function in
> `org-agenda-finalize-hook'.
>
> You'd rather hide 10 priority cookies from there instead of letting
> `org-agenda-format-item' process possibly thousands of entries.

Thanks for the tip!  I already use that for something else similar, it's
funny that it didn't occur to me here.  Will copy and modify my own
code:

~~

;; Right-justifying tags in the agenda buffer
(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'place-agenda-tags)
(defun place-agenda-tags ()
  "Put the agenda tags by the right border of the agenda window."
  (let ((org-agenda-tags-column (- 4 (window-width))))
    (org-agenda-align-tags)))

~~

Cheers,
Joe