From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org>
To: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
Cc: Karl Voit <news1142@Karl-Voit.at>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How do you store web pages for reference?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 16:41:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Karl,

On 2017-01-16 15:43, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

>  On Mon, Jan 16 2017 at 09:48:38 am, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a workflow that allows me to save a web page for
>> reference, ideally from Firefox. I know of org-protocol-capture-html
>> (https://github.com/alphapapa/org-protocol-capture-html), which is
>> perfect for pure-text pages, but I'm also looking for a solution for
>> images-heavy pages. I've tried to simply save the page to PDF, but it
>> does not preserve the links.
>
> I am using the Firefox plugin Shelve[1] which stores all of my web
> pages visited. Those HTML files are written with an ISO time-stamp
> in their file name. Therefore, my Memacs filename module (see sig)
> is indexing all visited URLs and they appear on my agenda.
>
> So I do have a direct link between my agenda and the HTML files of
> all web pages I have visited.
>
> [1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/shelve/

This plugin looks interesting, but it seems to rely on the existing
functionality of Firefox to save web pages. As I want to save a page
with its picture and CSS, I would need to choose “Web page, complete”,
but the FF documentation says “This choice allows you to view it as
originally shown with pictures, but it may not keep the HTML link
structure of the original page”, which worries me a little.

Do you only save the html or the pictures as well. If it's the latter,
have you had any issues about links not being preserved?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2016-12: 404.48, 2015-12: 401.85