From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
To: c.buhtz@posteo.jp
Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Use-case: simple nodes and todo-list
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 10:37:40 +0200	[thread overview]

>>>>> On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 10:17:56 +0200, c.buhtz@posteo.jp said:

    c> Hello,
    c> I still read something about org-mode.

    c> It is a complex and powerfull tool. I now try fit/transform my current
    c> workflow and use-cases to org-mode. So maybe you can give me a simple
    c> yes-now if this could be fullfilled with org-mode.

    c> 1. Simple notes with keywords and endless time to life

Yes. org *allows* you to invent a complex deadline/scheduling
workflow, but at its most basic you just write:

* Project 1                 :work:
** Task 1
** Task 2
* Project 2                 :play:

and just stick your notes in there (you can do things with lists,
checkboxes, etc, but Iʼd start simple).

    c> I have notes (most of them as post-its on the wall and monitor in my
    c> office) with information's I am not able or willing to remember. But I
    c> need this information's every few days. e.g. numbers for bank-account,
    c> projects, persons
    c> I find this information's by place (post-it glued to a specific place
    c> in my office). When they are digitized I would use keywords or in-text
    c> search. e.g. searching for the project name "my project" to find its
    c> number.

Everyone has their own system, but I put "stuff I donʼt need often" in
one org file, then I have a 'work' file and a 'play' file. Ordinary
emacs search commands are enough, but again org has support for
searching by tags, name etc.

    c> 2.ToDo List without time information's
    c> Currently I use a one-page-paper handwritten as a ToDo List. I
    c> re-create it every week. It helps me. I make priorities with some
    c> colors or underlines. And it (maybe) makes my workload visible to my
    c> leaders when sitting in a meeting and having the ToDo list on the
    c> table. ;)
    c> In the past I also tried "taskwarrior". Very powerfull, I loved
    c> it. But it did not fit to my workflow. I know this is apocalyptic and
    c> hard to imagine but deadlines are useless in my workflow. :D So
    c> taskwarrior did not helped be it just build up more pressure to
    c> me. Simple explanation: My work is influenced by to much unknown
    c> external spontaneous factors. It is useless to make
    c> plans/deadlines. Yes it is horror, I work on it. But I am not on that
    c> level of the hierarchy to make the fundamental needed changes.

* TODO get milk             :housekeeping:
* TODO feed cat             :housekeeping:pets:

(and the 'housekeeping' stuff is also completely optional).

For priorities org has support for 3 levels of priority built in, so
you'd have:

* TODO [#B] get milk                                           :housekeeping:
* TODO [#A] feed cat                                      :housekeeping:pets:

There are convenient key bindings for setting the priorites on items.

For what you've described, Iʼd start by reading (info "(org) TODO
Items"), and stopping when you've reached the level you want to use.

Robert