On 2007-01-17, Kai Großjohann said: > For inserting templates, you may wish to investigate skeleton.el. > It comes with Emacs. One needs to twist one's mind somewhat to > understand how to use it, but you can look at the twisting to be a > chance to excercise your mind to keep it fit :-) On 2007-01-18, Eric J Haywiser said: > There is also tempo.el which may prove equally useful. I don't have > experience with either. I would be curious to hear thoughts, > comparision, contrast from an expert in both modes before deciding > in which one to invest learning time. On 2007-01-18, Pete Phillips said: > I can't let the discussion continue without mentioning my own favourite > - dmacro. > > We have been using this to provide templates for project reports (in > troff), as well as boilerplate for emails since 1992 (well, that's the > earliest RCS date I can find). Easy to make the templates, and it can > prompt you for variables, anmd insert timestamps etc. Great package. > > See > > http://linuxgazette.net/issue39/marsden.html > > For some comparisons of template type packages. > > I now use dmacro for templates I use in org mode. To add to the interesting list, there is snippet.el which is intensively used by emacs-rails. The nice thing about it is it highlights the fields and uses TAB to go though all fields to make changes.