From: Alex Ott <alexott@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 10:43:37 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello

 CD> One of the really weak features in Org's design is that exporting is
 CD> not implemented in a generic way.  All exporters share a preprocessing
 CD> step that turns Org format into something a little more sane and
 CD> consistent.  Then each exporter goes its own way.  This setup makes
 CD> maintenance sort of a nightmare, because each change to Org syntax
 CD> needs to be implemented in all exporters separately.  Maybe you have
 CD> read my swearing when I was trying to fix the LaTeX exporter which I
 CD> did not understand completely at first - it was written by Bastien.

 CD> I had really hoped that the next step in exporting Org would be to
 CD> rewrite the exporter from scratch, in a generic way, that will then
 CD> make supporting different formatters more stable and easy.  Adding a
 CD> new exporter does not get us closer to that idea.

I think, that instead of parsing text directly, we need to write generic
exporter, that will export all data as a tree, consisting from header +
list of the entries, and inside these entries provide all needed
information about text (markup, url information, etc.).  And for new export
format, author will define only small piece of code -- mostly header
generation, and replacement tables for formatting tags, urls decorations,
etc.

What do you think about this? I can try to define basic API and we'll see
what we can do

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/        http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/