* bug#14440: Extending ODT export
@ 2002-01-01  0:34                 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2002-01-01  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: 14440-done, emacs-orgmode

I should be stupid in opening bug reports in response to people who
don't followup on their original reports.

As OP, I am closing it.

* Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-07 11:37 Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-07 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,
I want to export via ODT directly into a "docx" format.  Following the
instructions in the manual, I added
(setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "docx")
to my .emacs file.  But if I try to do an export I get the following
error message:

"Export to /home/trial.docx failed"

I am using org-mode 8.0.2, LibreOffice 3.5.7.2, and Fedora 17.

Any ideas?

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute

* Re: Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-07 11:41 ` Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-07 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian M. Burgos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

By the way, it also fails with the "pdf" and "doc" options...

--

@ 2013-05-07 12:29   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-05-07 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian M. Burgos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Possible checks: What value do you have for org-odt-convert-processes?
Does the command it provide launch LibreOffice services on your system?

On my Mac, the default "soffice" command is not recognized out of the
box; providing the full path to soffice
("/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice") helps. Also, it
only seems to work when LibreOffice isn't already running, though I may
be wrong about that (I just tried this for the first time).

Yours,
Christian

Julian M. Burgos writes:

> By the way, it also fails with the "pdf" and "doc" options...
>
> Julian M. Burgos writes:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>> I want to export via ODT directly into a "docx" format.  Following the
>> instructions in the manual, I added
>> (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "docx")
>> to my .emacs file.  But if I try to do an export I get the following
>> error message:
>>
>> "Export to /home/trial.docx failed"
>>
>> I am using org-mode 8.0.2, LibreOffice 3.5.7.2, and Fedora 17.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Julian

* Re: Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-07 13:32     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-07 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Moe; +Cc: Julian M. Burgos, emacs-orgmode

On 7 mei 2013, at 14:29, Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Possible checks: What value do you have for org-odt-convert-processes?
> Does the command it provide launch LibreOffice services on your system?
>
> On my Mac, the default "soffice" command is not recognized out of the
> box; providing the full path to soffice
> ("/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice") helps. Also, it
> only seems to work when LibreOffice isn't already running, though I may
> be wrong about that (I just tried this for the first time).

Another check:  Do you have write permissions in /home ?

Why is it trying to write the file to that location?

- Carsten

> Yours,
> Christian
>
> Julian M. Burgos writes:
>
>> By the way, it also fails with the "pdf" and "doc" options...
>>
>> Julian M. Burgos writes:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>> I want to export via ODT directly into a "docx" format.  Following the
>>> instructions in the manual, I added
>>> (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "docx")
>>> to my .emacs file.  But if I try to do an export I get the following
>>> error message:
>>>
>>> "Export to /home/trial.docx failed"
>>>
>>> I am using org-mode 8.0.2, LibreOffice 3.5.7.2, and Fedora 17.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Julian

* Re: Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-07 13:51       ` Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-07 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Christian Moe

Hi Christian,
The value
for org-odt-convert-processes is (("LibreOffice" "soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x --outdir %d %i")
 ("unoconv" "unoconv -f %f -o %d %i"))

"soffice" is in my path, so I can run it from any directory.

Carsten, I have permission in /home.  That is where I had my trial org
file. I have the same problem if I put my org file in other directory.

Julian

--

@ 2013-05-07 15:06         ` Takaaki ISHIKAWA
From: Takaaki ISHIKAWA @ 2013-05-07 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian M. Burgos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Julian,

When I use "soffice" with exec-path setting,
the ODT export is failed like you.
So currently, I use the following setting:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
     (setq org-export-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf")
     (setq org-export-odt-convert-processes
           '(("LibreOffice"
              "/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x --outdir %d %i")
             ("unoconv" "unoconv -f %f -o %d %i")))
#+END_SRC

It works fine for me.

Best regards,
Takaaki Ishikawa

Takaaki ISHIKAWA <takaxp@ieee.org>
  GITI, Waseda University
    :) http://about.me/takaxp

* Re: Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-07 15:41           ` Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takaaki ISHIKAWA; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Takaaki,

Many thanks, but no luck.  I tried adding the complete path to soffice as you did below
(of course with the right path in my machine) and no luck.  If I do it
just like you, the export format does not change and is still ODT.  If
instead of using (setq org-export-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf") I
use (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf"), I get the same error
message as before.

Julian

--

@ 2013-05-07 16:24           ` Takaaki ISHIKAWA
From: Takaaki ISHIKAWA @ 2013-05-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Julian,

Sorry, the code is an old setting for the previous org.
Please try org-odt-preferred-output-format.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf")
     (setq org-odt-convert-processes
           '(("LibreOffice"
              "/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x --outdir %d %i")
             ("unoconv" "unoconv -f %f -o %d %i")))
#+END_SRC

Best,
Takaaki

--

@ 2013-05-07 16:28             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-05-07 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Julian M. Burgos" <julian@hafro.is> writes:

> Hi Takaaki,
>
> Many thanks, but no luck.  I tried adding the complete path to soffice as you did below
> (of course with the right path in my machine) and no luck.  If I do it
> just like you, the export format does not change and is still ODT.  If
> instead of using (setq org-export-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf") I
> use (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf"), I get the same error
> message as before.

I tried with this setting of org-odt-preferred-output-format, and my
*Message* buffers shows:

,----
| Creating ODT file...
| Running zip -mX0 foo.odt mimetype
| Running zip -rmTq foo.odt .
| Created /home/nick/src/org/foo.odt
| Executing soffice --headless --convert-to pdf --outdir /home/nick/src/org/ /home/nick/src/org/foo.odt
| convert /home/nick/src/org/foo.odt -> /home/nick/src/org//foo.pdf using writer_pdf_Export
|
| Exported to /home/nick/src/org/foo.pdf
`----

When I execute the command

  soffice --headless --convert-to pdf --outdir /home/nick/src/org/ /home/nick/src/org/foo.odt

from a shell, I get no errors. Perhaps you can try the equivalent on
your system and see if you get an error. If so, you can stop worrying
about org and start worrying about your LibreOffice installation. But
in any case, you should have more information about what goes wrong.
If you can't figure it out, you should probably post both what your
*Message* buffer shows after the failure and what the command output is.

Nick

* Re: Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-08  7:11             ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-05-08  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Takaaki ISHIKAWA <takaxp@ieee.org> writes:

> Dear Julian,
>
> Sorry, the code is an old setting for the previous org.
> Please try org-odt-preferred-output-format.
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf")
>      (setq org-odt-convert-processes
>            '(("LibreOffice"
>               "/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x --outdir %d %i")
>              ("unoconv" "unoconv -f %f -o %d %i")))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Best,
> Takaaki
>
> On May 8, 2013, at 12:06 AM, Takaaki ISHIKAWA <takaxp@ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Julian,
>>
>> When I use "soffice" with exec-path setting,
>> the ODT export is failed like you.
>> So currently, I use the following setting:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>>     (setq org-export-odt-preferred-output-format "pdf")
>>     (setq org-export-odt-convert-processes
>>           '(("LibreOffice"
>>              "/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x --outdir %d %i")
>>             ("unoconv" "unoconv -f %f -o %d %i")))
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> It works fine for me.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Takaaki Ishikawa
>>

>> On May 7, 2013, at 10:51 PM, "Julian M. Burgos" <julian@hafro.is> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Christian,
>>> The value
>>> for org-odt-convert-processes is (("LibreOffice" "soffice --headless --convert-to %f%x --outdir %d %i")
>>> ("unoconv" "unoconv -f %f -o %d %i"))
>>>
>>> "soffice" is in my path, so I can run it from any directory.
>>>
>>> Carsten, I have permission in /home.  That is where I had my trial org
>>> file. I have the same problem if I put my org file in other directory.
>>>
>>> Julian

>>> --
>>> Julian Mariano Burgos, PhD
>>> Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute
>>> Skúlagata 4, 121 Reykjavík, Iceland
>>> Sími/Telephone : +354-5752037
>>> Bréfsími/Telefax:  +354-5752001
>>> Netfang/Email: julian@hafro.is
>>>

>> --
>> Takaaki ISHIKAWA <takaxp@ieee.org>
>>  GITI, Waseda University
>>    :) http://about.me/takaxp
>>

> --
> Takaaki ISHIKAWA <takaxp@ieee.org>
>   GITI, Waseda University
>     :) http://about.me/takaxp

I did not follow closely, but I remember that
I had problems to use LibreOffice to convert a *already open* document.  So,
if you are viewing the doc in LibreOffice while you try your export, you
might run into problems.

This is a reported bug in LibreOffice.  The suggested work-around is to
use a temporary profile as in:
libreoffice "-env:UserInstallation=file:///tmp/LibO_Conversion" --headless --invisible --convert-to txt:text "$FILENAME" >/dev/null

You might try to add that to the conversion command and see whether it
helps.

Best,
Andreas

* Re: Extending ODT export
@ 2013-05-10 10:04             ` Julian M. Burgos
From: Julian M. Burgos @ 2013-05-10 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Takaaki! That did the trick. Now things work as they should. :)

--

@ 2013-05-22  8:36               ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-05-22  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode

doc-view (for OpenDocument files) uses the below mentioned work around.

The fix can be ported to `org-odt.el' and `ox-odt.el'.

(defun doc-view-odf->pdf-converter-soffice (odf callback)
  "Convert ODF to PDF asynchronously and call CALLBACK when finished.
The converted PDF is put into the current cache directory, and it
is named like ODF with the extension turned to pdf."
  ;; FIXME: soffice doesn't work when there's another running
  ;; LibreOffice instance, in which case it returns success without
  ;; actually doing anything.  See LibreOffice bug
  ;; https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37531.  A workaround
  ;; is to start soffice with a separate UserInstallation directory.
  (let ((tmp-user-install-dir (make-temp-file "libreoffice-docview" t)))
    (doc-view-start-process "odf->pdf" doc-view-odf->pdf-converter-program
			    (list
			     (concat "-env:UserInstallation=file://"
				     tmp-user-install-dir)
			     "--headless" "--convert-to" "pdf"
			     "--outdir" (doc-view-current-cache-dir) odf)
			    (lambda ()
			      (delete-directory tmp-user-install-dir t)
			      (funcall callback)))))