Ihor Radchenko writes: > Matt writes: > >> > Matt, maybe you have some ideas about this edge case? >> >> I have no other ideas within the current ob-shell implementation. As for modifications, I have the following thoughts. >> >> First, how might we state the problem for this edge case? >> >> To me, it looks like, "How can the ob-shell :async option manage interactive input?" Do you agree >> with this formulation? If not, how do you see it differently? > > It is not about :async per se. Rather about using :session. > > A simple reproducer is > > #+begin_src bash :session test > mpv "/path/to/some/video" > m_ > #+end_src > > Basically, when you send multiline command in comint buffer without > waiting for each line to finish, the following line may be read by the > running command if that command is interactive. > > It is similar to a situation when you run a normal terminal like > > $ mpv "..." > > > $ m_ > Indeed, this explaination give me more clear understanding of the problem. So currently ob-shell.el is async sending command into session buffer without waiting for command to be finished. I checked out the ob-shell.el source code. I suppose this is the core part of the problem. From intuitive view, session async evaluation indeed should not wait for command to be finished. But still feel a little weird. #+begin_src emacs-lisp (session ; session evaluation (if async (progn (let ((uuid (org-id-uuid))) (org-babel-comint-async-register session (current-buffer) "ob_comint_async_shell_\\(.+\\)_\\(.+\\)" 'ob-shell-async-chunk-callback nil) (org-babel-comint-async-delete-dangling-and-eval session (insert (format ob-shell-async-indicator "start" uuid)) (comint-send-input nil t) (insert (org-trim body)) (comint-send-input nil t) (insert (format ob-shell-async-indicator "end" uuid)) (comint-send-input nil t)) uuid)) (mapconcat #'org-babel-sh-strip-weird-long-prompt (mapcar #'org-trim (butlast ; Remove eoe indicator (org-babel-comint-with-output (session org-babel-sh-eoe-output t body) (insert (org-trim body) "\n" org-babel-sh-eoe-indicator) (comint-send-input nil t)) ;; Remove `org-babel-sh-eoe-indicator' output line. 1)) "\n"))) #+end_src >> One thought is to update :async to work with the :stdin option so that >> the block is run as a script. Currently, :stdin runs synchronously in >> a separate shell. We might be able to grab the script's output and put >> it into the session buffer. See how the following runs in a temporary >> shell, regardless of the :session/:async options. > > Avoiding session altogether will indeed solve the problem, as :session > is the place where the problem lies. > > Adding :stdin support is also an interesting idea, even out of scope of > this discussion. If this :stdin interesting idea works, maybe other similar ideas will too.🙋 For examples: - Wrap command "mpv" with a shell function which disable accepting interactive input. - Setting shell or environment variable in :prolog for source block to preventing interactive input. Anyway, glad to get more interesting ideas. -- [ stardiviner ] I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express without misunderstanding. Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/ IRC(libera.chat, freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3