From: Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Cc: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>, Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>,
	org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Feature Request? #+CONFIG keyword - to abstract more configuration into org files,
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:52:14 -0400	[thread overview]

> On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:23 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>>
>>> "Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Can you use the #+BIND: keyword to set arbitrary variables and
>>> achieve
>>> the same result?
>>
>> If I understand it correctly, #+BIND only works for export related
>> variables.
>

> Nope, it works for any variables.  It is special that is *also* works
> for export variables, which is complicated because the *output buffer*
> is current when export happens, so local variables would be out of
> scope.
>
> - Carsten

Thanks for the explanation. I aplogize if I'm missing something, but I
can't seem to get the bind line to work. I've placed the following line
at the top of an org file:

,----
| #+BIND: org-footnote-section "References"
`----

...and yet after killing, reloading, and refreshing the buffer, the
footnotes still appear in the section in which they are entered, in
keeping with my global org-footnote-section setting (nil).

Out of curiosity, I've also tried the following line to no avail:

,----
| #+BIND: org-footnote-section t
`----

I've tried setting org-export-allow-BIND and org-export-allow-BIND-local
to t, but the same results occur.

On the other hand, when I use local variables, as below, the footnotes
appear under the headline "References".

>> ,----
>> | * COMMENT Local Variables
>> | # Local Variables:
>> | # org-footnote-section: "References"
>> | # End:
>> `----

Do I have the correct syntax for #+bind? Is there another variable that
activates "bind" syntax? Or does it perhaps work only for certain
variables?

Thanks! I'll be glad to write an FAQ about this, seeing as I'm quickly
turning it into a frequently asked question. :)

- Matt