* org-article.cls generated empty after tangling
@ 2014-06-25 22:21 Onur Solmaz
From: Onur Solmaz @ 2014-06-25 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I followed the instructions on this website:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.html

and tried to tangle article-class.org to obtain the class file
org-article.cls that is to be used when exporting LaTeX files. The file is
weirdly empty.

Does anybody have an idea why? I have tried without my emacs configuration,
and also on another machine.

* Re: org-article.cls generated empty after tangling
@ 2014-06-26 17:30 ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]   ` <CABPv8AQ_7dRDJt9VEpFc5WFf3R6ESPoDZBmFpWoqG0j6WqBVLg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-06-26 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Onur Solmaz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Onur,

Onur Solmaz <onursolmaz@gmail.com> writes:

> I followed the instructions on this website:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.html
>
> and tried to tangle article-class.org to obtain the class file
> org-article.cls that is to be used when exporting LaTeX files. The file is
> weirdly empty.
>
> Does anybody have an idea why? I have tried without my emacs configuration,
> and also on another machine.

This was written using the old exporter while Babel was under
development.  I haven't tried to keep it current.  I'm not surprised it
doesn't work for you, though I don't know exactly why it doesn't work
anymore.

Are you having problems tangling other files, or just this one?

Most of the reasons it was developed disappeared with the new export
framework in Org-mode version 8.

Perhaps it is (past) time to remove this from the babel examples on Worg?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

@ 2014-06-27 16:14     ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]       ` <CABPv8ATj6k2pkKF3=ULay-hW2hioyAcfAoSbRVK6dEAgotEOfg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-06-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Onur Solmaz; +Cc: Org-mode

Aloha Onur,

Onur Solmaz <onursolmaz@gmail.com> writes:

> Ah, so this example is for org-mode < 8?
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.html
> I got confused because on some sites, it explicitly says for version < 8,
> like this one: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html.
>
> I just want to export a latex document which has source code, and I want it
> to have numbered lines + more decorations if possible. Is it?

Yes, the example is for Org mode < 8.

See the Org mode manual Section 11.3, Literal examples, for how to have
numbered lines with source code blocks and to have them fontified in the
buffer.

See the variable org-latex-listings for the various ways to export
source code blocks.  You'll probably also want to explore the two LaTeX
packages listings and minted, as well, depending on your export
requirements.

hth,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

@ 2014-06-28 16:37         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-06-28 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Onur Solmaz; +Cc: Org-mode

Aloha Onur,

Good news.  Glad to hear Org mode is working for you.

All the best,
Tom