* What happened to org-complete?
@ 2011-07-03  1:43 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-03  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I used to have

  (define-key org-mode-map "\M-/" 'org-complete)

in my .emacs.  Now that there is no org-complete function, what should I
bind to `M /' in org buffers?

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

* Re: What happened to org-complete?
@ 2011-07-03  1:54 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-07-03  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I used to have
>
>   (define-key org-mode-map "\M-/" 'org-complete)
>
> in my .emacs.  Now that there is no org-complete function, what should I
> bind to `M /' in org buffers?

I think pcomplete, normally bound to M-TAB:

,----
| pcomplete is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `pcomplete.el'.
|
| (pcomplete &optional INTERACTIVELY)
|
| Support extensible programmable completion.
| To use this function, just bind the TAB key to it, or add it to your
| completion functions list (it should occur fairly early in the list).
`----

Nick

* Re: What happened to org-complete?
@ 2011-07-03  2:03   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-03  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

on Sat Jul 02 2011, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos-AT-hp.com> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
>> I used to have
>>
>>   (define-key org-mode-map "\M-/" 'org-complete)
>>
>> in my .emacs.  Now that there is no org-complete function, what should I
>> bind to `M /' in org buffers?
>>

> I think pcomplete, normally bound to M-TAB:
>
> ,----
> | pcomplete is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `pcomplete.el'.
> |
> | (pcomplete &optional INTERACTIVELY)
> |
> | Support extensible programmable completion.
> | To use this function, just bind the TAB key to it, or add it to your
> | completion functions list (it should occur fairly early in the list).
> `----

Thanks for the info, Nick

Oops, that doesn't do what I want.  Is there a way to get pcomplete to
fall back to use dabbrev-expand when it can't complete something another
way?  I'd RTFM but pcomplete seems to be completely undocumented!

[No wonder I didn't stumble across pcomplete: Doesn't every OS GUI bind
`M-TAB' to a window switcher by default?]

--

@ 2011-07-03  2:30     ` Ryan Reynolds
From: Ryan Reynolds @ 2011-07-03  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Jul 2, 2011, at 21:06, Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> Doesn't every OS GUI bind
> `M-TAB' to a window switcher by default?

The default Meta key in Mac OS is Option, and window switcher is
Command-Tab. So while it's not a completely useless default, it does
leave 2 out of 3 major OSes out in the cold.
--
A. Ryan Reynolds

* Re: What happened to org-complete?
@ 2011-07-03  2:46       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-03  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Reynolds; +Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

on Sat Jul 02 2011, Ryan Reynolds <a.ryan.reynolds-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2011, at 21:06, Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>>>>

>> Doesn't every OS GUI bind
>> `M-TAB' to a window switcher by default?
>
> The default Meta key in Mac OS is Option, and window switcher is
> Command-Tab.

Yes, but of course, like I'm sure many other people, I bind Command to
Meta so my fingers don't get totally confused when switching platforms
;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing