From: Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Feature idea: show last log entry
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:44:50 -0400	[thread overview]

on Wed Oct 12 2011, Achim Gratz <Stromeko-AT-nexgo.de> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>> Generally I'm interested in keeping log entries for my Org items for
>
>> historical purposes only (so I like to stash them away in a :LOGBOOK:
>> drawer), but on a day-to-day basis I'm interested in the very latest log
>> entry; it tells me about the status of the item.  For example, if I've
>> made a task DELEGATED, the latest log entry usually has the person I've
>> delegated it to and often a link to the mail message in which I did the
>> delegation.  So I'd like a feature that would leave the latest log entry
>> outside the drawer, and always file the previous log entry into the
>> drawer when I make a new one.
>
> I'm currently using something similar with two drawers back-to-back:
>
> :LOGBOOK:
> shiny
> :END:
> :CLOSED:
> old cruft
> :END:
>
> That means I have to move old stuff by hand from LOGBOOK to CLOSED (what
> I really do is move the :END:/:CLOSED: markers normally), but the way
> I'm using this it hasn't been too much trouble.

Yeah... that's really not what I want:

a) because it would be "too much trouble" for me :-)
b) because it would take up screen real-estate to show :LOGBOOK: and
   :END: about which I don't care at all.

> That said, I've been thinking of extending drawers to have "stops", that
> is each visibility cycle on a drawer would just pull it out to the next
> stop.  Specifically for timestamps there should be some function to
> auto-move the stop (current+last week for instance).  Presumably if that
> was made into a more general function one could also just keep a certain
> number of lines before the stop.

That too sounds cool, but really not what I'm after because of the extra
verbosity.  With every item there's information that's "current" and
then there's the change history, and I want to keep the current
information outside the drawer.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing