* BUG ? [new HTML exporter] subtree: newline and slash
@ 2012-11-06 13:53 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2012-11-06 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orgmode

Hello everybody,

Org-mode version 7.9.2 (a99402fac
GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-08-29 on MARVIN

When I try to HTML export the whole file the result is as expected.

When I try to HTML export a *subtree*
with the new exporter I get "\\" if in the org file there is a newline
Please try to export the second heading "I am interested in this"
with C-@ M-x org-export-dispatch h o

------Example---------------------
     -*- mode: org; truncate-lines: nil coding:utf-8 -*-
* Another headline
* I am interested in this
:PROPERTIES:
:EXPORT_OPTIONS: H:5 num:nil toc:nil \n:t @:t ::t |:t ^:t f:nil *:t tags:nil TeX:t LaTeX:t skip:t p:nil  author:nil  email:nil  creator:nil timestamp:t
:END:
** 2nd
*** hello UP
**** hello
hello hello (newline)
hi hi       (newline and blank!)

Up with the new exporter

Up with the new exporter

--Result------------
1 I am interested in this
1.1 2nd
1.1.1 hello UP

    hello

    hello hello (newline) \\ hi hi (newline and blank!) \\

    Up with the new exporter \\

    Up with the new exporter \\

-+--------------------------------------------------------------

this happens

- if I do not set any PROPERTY drawer
- if the :EXPORT_OPTION: is both \n:t and \n:nil

as you can see it happens *even* at the end of the list.

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: BUG ? [new HTML exporter] subtree: newline and slash
@ 2012-11-06 16:48 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-11-06 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Orgmode

Hello,

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> When I try to HTML export a *subtree*
> with the new exporter I get "\\" if in the org file there is a newline

You need to update Org. I fixed this several days ago.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG ? [new HTML exporter] subtree: newline and slash
@ 2012-11-06 17:03   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-11-06 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: Orgmode

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> did you try to replicate the bug?

Yes, sir.

I get:

      <h1 class="title">I am interested in this</h1>
        <h2 id="sec-1">2nd</h2>
          <h3 id="sec-1-1">hello UP</h3>
            <h4 id="sec-1-1-1">hello</h4>
                hello hello (newline)<br/>
                hi hi       (newline and blank!)<br/>

                Up with the new exporter<br/>

                Up with the new exporter<br/>

> As you can read in my previous email my org version is
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.2 (a99402fac
>
> downloaded and installed from the tar.gz ->> 24 hours ago  Nicolas GoaziouMerge branch 'maint'
>
> i.e. there is only one commit after my snapshot.

Then you may have forgotten to reload it.

* org reserved and special words in drawers
@ 2012-11-07  3:33       ` tony day
From: tony day @ 2012-11-07  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi,

I've been thinking about a patch for org-mode that would give an
option to place various org concepts in a drawer rather than
automatically in the body of the document. The overall idea is that
for some use cases, it makes sense to disturb the underlying content
as little as possible. In other words, we could then /apply/ org-mode
on a document rather than transforming a document into an org
document.

Is this doable or is it a crazy amount of work for little benefit?

The org concepts I've penciled in are:

** tags

What might be the best scheme for defining tags as properties rather
than in headlines?

** scheduled, closed, deadline

It should be possible to put these in drawers.

** =todo=

Can we put =todo= keywords in drawers but still easily use all the
org-mode technology surrounding them?

** item

Would it be at all possible to define an item without actually adding
a header? One solution that comes to mind is to define an item (or a
subtree in other words) as all content until the next properties drawer.

Is there anything else missing from this list?

Tony

* solved (Re: BUG ? [new HTML exporter] subtree: newline and slash)
@ 2012-11-07 12:15       ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2012-11-07 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Orgmode

Da: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
inviato: Martedì 6 Novembre 2012 18:20

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

>> did you try to replicate the bug?
> Yes, sir.

Thank you very much for having fixed it

some time ago and, please,
accept my apology for having overreacted
yesterday evening,  without double checking.

I would have sworn I had installed the latest version....
BUT I was wrong.

I really loaded the a99402fac, that is a version more or less

the 6th of november.
I got confused: too much org-tar.gz in my directory :-(

Today I installed the *real* last but one Org-mode version 7.9.2 (854ddf6
and the bug is gone.

Again sorry for the noise,

Giovanni

* Re: org reserved and special words in drawers
@ 2012-12-24  1:49         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tony day; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Tony,

tony day <tonyday567@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been thinking about a patch for org-mode that would give an
> option to place various org concepts in a drawer rather than
> automatically in the body of the document. The overall idea is that
> for some use cases, it makes sense to disturb the underlying content
> as little as possible. In other words, we could then /apply/ org-mode
> on a document rather than transforming a document into an org
> document.
>
> Is this doable or is it a crazy amount of work for little benefit?

What is doable is to try to enhance Org so that less stuff come in the
way, sure.

What we may think about is a "Org readable exchange format (oref?)",
which would take the output of Nicolas' parser, export it in Org-mode
using some specific properties like "TAGS:" "TODO:" etc.

> The org concepts I've penciled in are:
>
> ** tags
>
> What might be the best scheme for defining tags as properties rather
> than in headlines?

See above.

> ** scheduled, closed, deadline
>
> It should be possible to put these in drawers.

There is a plan for this, yes.

> ** =todo=
>
> Can we put =todo= keywords in drawers but still easily use all the
> org-mode technology surrounding them?

See above.

> ** item
>
> Would it be at all possible to define an item without actually adding
> a header? One solution that comes to mind is to define an item (or a
> subtree in other words) as all content until the next properties drawer.
>
> Is there anything else missing from this list?

Maybe you can start working on a org-e-oref exporter, storying *all*
metadata into properties? ... Don't know where it will lead, but who
knows?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org reserved and special words in drawers
@ 2012-12-28 23:53           ` Tony Day
From: Tony Day @ 2012-12-28 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> In other words, we could then /apply/ org-mode
>> on a document rather than transforming a document into an org
>> document.

> What we may think about is a "Org readable exchange format (oref?)",
> which would take the output of Nicolas' parser, export it in Org-mode
> using some specific properties like "TAGS:" "TODO:" etc.

I'm trying to get my head around what a 'readable exchange format' is.

org-export.el already exports as an elisp list:

M-: (setq my-org-buffer-as-elisp (org-element-parse-buffer)) RTE

... and it's pretty readable :-)

So the basic idea is that you would export from an org file to an org file but one with
a /different/ and maybe standardized format (highly standardized is the
oref gist?).

For example, anything that
is content passes through as text and everything else (org guff) is put
into a :PROPERTIES: :END: wrapper?

> Maybe you can start working on a org-e-oref exporter, storying *all*
> metadata into properties? ... Don't know where it will lead, but who
> knows?

A mission truly beyond my abilities, but how could I say no to such a
meta org-mode process :-)

Is the right place to start basically turning (org-element-parse-buffer)
output back into an org buffer?  Is this best thought of as another backend? I
can't quite see why org-e-oref.el and not just org-e-org.el?

* Re: org reserved and special words in drawers
@ 2012-12-29 20:00             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-29 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Day; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Tony,

Tony Day <tonyday567@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to get my head around what a 'readable exchange format' is.
>
> org-export.el already exports as an elisp list:
>
> M-: (setq my-org-buffer-as-elisp (org-element-parse-buffer)) RTE
>
> ... and it's pretty readable :-)
>
> So the basic idea is that you would export from an org file to an org
> file but one with a /different/ and maybe standardized format (highly
> standardized is the oref gist?).
>
> For example, anything that
> is content passes through as text and everything else (org guff) is put
> into a :PROPERTIES: :END: wrapper?

Yes, why not.

If people need an exchange format that is based on .org files but
slightly different, org-export.el can certainly help.

>> Maybe you can start working on a org-e-oref exporter, storying *all*
>> metadata into properties? ... Don't know where it will lead, but who
>> knows?
>
> A mission truly beyond my abilities, but how could I say no to such a
> meta org-mode process :-)
>
> Is the right place to start basically turning (org-element-parse-buffer)
> output back into an org buffer?

I'd say so, but Nicolas might help more here.

> Is this best thought of as another backend? I
> can't quite see why org-e-oref.el and not just org-e-org.el?

I would first ask myself "what is the new org format for?
Is it worth implementing this?"

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org reserved and special words in drawers
@ 2012-12-31  0:19               ` Tony Day
From: Tony Day @ 2012-12-31  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I would first ask myself "what is the new org format for?
> Is it worth implementing this?"
>
> Best,

My motivation is to have an ability to create a virtual org file. My
workflow involves sharing bits and pieces of plain text with non-org
users and, right now, this means hacking and slashing org files to
remove org guff, putting org guff back in to edited plain text, or
trying to resolve diffs between org and non-org plain text files.

So a plain text file that has org-mode metadata rather than integrated
org guff has a lot of appeal.  I could send out the plain text, receive
edits and the metadata would preserve the org state.