* Using Eric Schulte's starter kit with org mode from source
@ 2013-04-22 12:31 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-04-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I would like to try using Eric Schulte's starter kit, mainly to have my
configuration file in org-mode, using an org-mode installation from
source. An issue on github
(https://github.com/eschulte/emacs24-starter-kit/pull/29) suggests using
a command line argument to do so, but this is not convenient (especially
since I'm using emacs on OS X). Is there a way to pick up a source
install directly from the configuration files (for instance from
init.el)?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: Using Eric Schulte's starter kit with org mode from source
@ 2013-04-24 19:29 Alexander Poslavsky
From: Alexander Poslavsky @ 2013-04-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan.schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, schulte.eric

Alan Schmitt writes:

> Eric Schulte writes:
>
>> --8< snip
>>
>> Yes, the starter kit waits to load on the after-init-hook so that the
>> Emacs package system will be fully loaded.  That is why the other file
>> you load on the command line is loaded first.
>
> Then asynchronous export can't work, as it needs ox in that file. I've
> changed my init.el to loading org before the after-init-hook, and I go
> further but then I have an error about the "koma-letter" being
> unknown. It seems that to go this way I would need to load all of my
> export settings before the after-init-hook.

I had problems with mixed up org-versions [1]. The starter-kit uses
org-babel to create the lisp files Emacs needs.

To solve this, I added org-mode-from-git's load-path to init.el, before
require org. After that things worked for me.  The down-side is that
your init.el is no longer the same as the starter-kit's, which makes
upgrading a bit harder.

Alex

[1] I use prelude, but use org-babel for my private settings, like the
starter-kit does