Eric Schulte writes: > Rainer M Krug writes: > >> Eric Schulte writes: >> >>> Charles Berry writes: >>> >>>> John Hendy gmail.com> writes: >>>> >>>> [deleted] >>>>> > >>>>> > I think the default behavior should be reverted, as tangling and >>>>> > exporting are two different things. When I tangle, I want to see the >>>>> > code blocks as they are in the org document (with possible variables and >>>>> > expansions) but not to create files where I do not put it explicitly >>>>> > into a code block. These wrappers have nothing to do with the code, and >>>>> > are only there for the exported engine. So I would either revert to the >>>>> > original behavior, or, introduce a new header argument, >>>>> > e.g. :include-wrappers, which would, if set to t, include the export >>>>> > wrappers in the tangled file. This might be useful for debugging >>>>> > exporting of code block results, but not for general tangling. >>>>> >>>>> Thanks for chiming in. This was my gut reaction to the default >>>>> behavior. I guess we're still only a sample size of 2, but >>>>> intuitively, I would think that tangling would be a separate beast in >>>>> most cases from exporting. Just to have it on the record, if I tangle, >>>>> it's usually to take the code I've used in something like a Beamer >>>>> presentation or document and combine it into a single .R file so >>>>> someone can run it without needing Org-mode. >>>> >>>> [deleted] >>>> >>>> Sorry to be late to add my $0.02... >>>> >>>> I never want the try/catch wrappers. >>>> >>>> But noweb is indispensable. >>>> >>>> I use noweb a lot to organize and collect blocks. In some cases, I export >>>> them and in others I just tangle them. >>>> >>>> I hope that the revised code will allow me to turn off try/catch wrapping >>>> and still be able to use noweb when tangling or exporting. >>>> >>> >>> In addition to noweb, there are cases where variable expansion is useful >>> in tangled code. >>> >>> The simplest option is to move things like try/catch blocks out of the >>> code block expansion function, and into the execution function. Then if >>> other language present similar constructs (which we want to add to >>> execution by default but never want to tangle), we can think about >>> abstracting this out into some new level of code block expansion. >>> >>> Thoughts? >> >> Makes perfect sense to me, and would definitely be the better place to >> add them. >> >> If one wants enclosing code in the tangling, there is always >> the :epilogue and :prologue header arguments, and the try/catch should >> be considered as internal to the execution. >> > > Great, how's this patch work? If it looks good I'll apply it. Git still puzzles me a lot... If you tell me how I can apply this patch (from emacs?) I will try it out. Thanks, Rainer > > Thanks, -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982