* OS X quick-access to Emacs
@ 2016-03-15 14:55 Ken Mankoff
       [not found] ` <m27fh3u6y4.fsf-znviHmThZAxxLDvJzV1XNOtIE3FrmNSFT3ZHGVWHZibgpn9g0Uvcdg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2016-03-15 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, mu-discuss

Hi Lists,

Cross-post to Org and mu4e because Org and mu4e are my primary uses of Emacs.

I've created a BitBar plugin for quick-access to Emacs, such as a new *scratch* buffer or a new "Compose Email" buffer. I thought these might be useful to others, hence this post.

1) Download and install BitBar: https://getbitbar.com/
2) Add my Emacs plugin: https://github.com/mankoff/bitbar-plugins/blob/master/System/emacs.24h.sh
3) Customize to add new Emacs behaviors.

Example use case: I'm not in Emacs, and am on a Desktop w/ no Emacs frame, and want to compose a new email.

Prior to this setup, I needed to CMD+TAB to Emacs (or click on the icon in the Dock), then C-x 5 2 to bring up a new frame, and then some key combo to compose new email.

Now: Mouse to taskbar, click 1x on Emacs unicorn emoji, and 1x on Email icon.

Hope this is helpful to someone,

  -k.

P.S. If you come up with other interesting uses, please post back here.

P.P.S. Some obvious additions:
1) Alert if Emacs is front app and you are not clocked in.
2) Show clock status if you are clocked in
3) Show subset of Org Agenda in menu

* Re: OS X quick-access to Emacs
       [not found] ` <m27fh3u6y4.fsf-znviHmThZAxxLDvJzV1XNOtIE3FrmNSFT3ZHGVWHZibgpn9g0Uvcdg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-03-18 20:50   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2016-03-18 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, mu-discuss

On 2016-03-15 at 10:55, Ken Mankoff <mankoff-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've created a BitBar plugin for quick-access to Emacs, such as a new
> *scratch* buffer or a new "Compose Email" buffer. I thought these
> might be useful to others, hence this post.

One last follow-up to this.

The following script gives you quick-access to top-level headings in all Org files from the OS X Menu Bar. Each file is a menu item, and each top-level header is a sub-menu under the file. Clicking on one raises it in a new emacs client with the cursor positioned at the heading.

  -k.

IFS=$'\n'
cd ~/Org
if [ "$#" -eq 2 ]; then     # called with param1 and param2
    emacsclient +$2 $1 &    # open file at line number of heading
    exit
fi
echo '🐴'
echo "---";
for v in *.org; do
    echo ${v%.*}                          # filename as menu
    for h in `grep -n "^\*\ .*" $v`; do
	n=`echo $h | cut -d":" -f1`
	hh=`echo $h | cut -d":" -f2 | cut -c3-`
	echo "-- $hh | bash=$0 param1=$v param2=$n terminal=false"
        # ^ headers as submenus
    done
done