tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes: > Aloha Rainer, > > Rainer M Krug writes: > >> I don't think this is a bug as it is not clear what should happen. >> In the org manual it states concerning the :results file >> >> ,---- >> | * `file' The results will be interpreted as the path to a file, and >> | will be inserted into the Org mode buffer as a file link. E.g., >> | `:results value file'. >> `---- >> >> But the :colnames only works on tables (i.e. :results table) - but the >> result is represented as a link to a file. So what should happen? > > I think this is mistaken. "Tables" occur in at least three contexts in > babel source code blocks. There are input tables, :var mytable, there > are "tables" within the code block, represented in R as a dataframe or a > matrix, and there are output tables, which are placed in the Org mode > buffer as a result. Agreed - I was only thinking of the R -> org path. > > I use :colnames to keep the column names of input tables associated with > the "tables" within the code block, and typically have them represented > in the output, whether that is a "table" written to file, or output to > the Org mode buffer as an Org mode table, either by default or (more > rarely) through use of :results table. > > In my experience :results table is mostly useful for coercing a value > that babel would otherwise interpret as a scalar into a single element > table. Well - if the result is an R data.frame, it would not make a difference if I use :results table or not - correct? > >> If you would like to have a table with links to files, the easiest is to >> put the file names into [[]] in R and then return them in a table - or >> use :results output and "draw" the table. >> >> But as it stands, these two header arguments do not go together. > > Which two header arguments? :results table file is contradictory, but > :colnames yes :results file is not, or should not be, IMHO. Yup - ~:colnames yes :results file~ as well as ~:colnames yes :results table~ are not Cheers, Rainer > > All the best, > Tom -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982