* A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 13:16 Mohamed HIBTI
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mohamed HIBTI @ 2011-02-16 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi every one,
I would like to move to an emacs mail client that may be org-mode and MIME
compatible. Have you any idea ?

Regards,
Mohamed
P.S. any configuration stuff is welcome

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 14:16 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-16 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed HIBTI; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mohamed,

Mohamed HIBTI <mohamed.hibti@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to move to an emacs mail client that may be org-mode and MIME
> compatible. Have you any idea ?

Org natively supports these Emacs mail clients:

- Gnus
- VM
- Mew
- Wanderlust
- MH-E

If you need help choosing your Emacs MUA, you should better ask to this
mailing list: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 14:47 ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2011-02-16 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi every one,
> I would like to move to an emacs mail client that may be org-mode and MIME
> compatible. Have you any idea ?

I switched to using MH-E (from VM) a couple of years ago.  I did try
GNUS but found it a bit too overwhelming.  Overall, I'm happy with
MH-E -- I like that it comes wiht Emacs, and so the code tends to be
actively maintained, which was not the case for VM.  (However, VM is now
under new developers, so you may find it works better.)  The search
engine mairix works well too with MH-E.

Org knows about MH-E in that for example, org-store-link works when you
are reading a message in MH-E.

The notmuch mailing list in the last few days has had some discussion
about org support, so you might want to read those comments.  I am
tempted to look at notmuch, so would be curious about what other people
think.

Stephen

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 15:31 ` Dan Davison
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-16 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed HIBTI; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mohamed HIBTI <mohamed.hibti@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi every one,
> I would like to move to an emacs mail client that may be org-mode and MIME
> compatible. Have you any idea ?

gnus is an obvious candidate. It can be a bit of a steep learning curve
initially. I use it to interact with two different gmail accounts via
imap, as well as a few nntp groups, like this one. I'm finding the
development version of gnus a pleasure to use for this: it is fast, and
there's a very nice search facility both for imap and for nntp
groups. (E.g. I used to find it hard to reply in an old thread, but not
any longer)

As for org compatibility, isolated begin_src fragments are fontified as
if they were in org-mode which is very nice (so the languages are
fontified correctly if you turn on org-src-fontify-natively). This is
thanks to Seb Vauban, and Julien Danjou. Also attached text files are
fontified in the correct major mode. I don't really know how it works,
but the end result is that often when reading this list in gnus, I see
fragments of org-mode markup, and emacs-lisp and other languages, fully
fontified in my email.

As for MIME, do you know the org-mime-* functions, contributed by Eric
Schulte? They work very nicely; I'm looking forward to finding some
spare time to work out how best to fit them into my day-to-day emailing.

Dan

> Regards,
> Mohamed
> P.S. any configuration stuff is welcome

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 15:50   ` Manuel Hermenegildo
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2011-02-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Mohamed HIBTI, emacs-orgmode

VM has pretty reasonable integration with org (make sure you use a
recent version, i.e., 8.1.xx or later). --Manuel

* Re: Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 16:02   ` Carl Bolduc
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2011-02-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Mohamed HIBTI, emacs-orgmode

> gnus is an obvious candidate. It can be a bit of a steep learning curve
> initially. I use it to interact with two different gmail accounts via
> imap, as well as a few nntp groups, like this one. I'm finding the
> development version of gnus a pleasure to use for this: it is fast, and
> there's a very nice search facility both for imap and for nntp
> groups. (E.g. I used to find it hard to reply in an old thread, but not
> any longer)

Hi Dan,

Could you share some details of your gnus implementation with GMail? I
have been trying to setup this based on various sites and I never
succeded.

I would love to use gnus with gmail and Org-Mode.

Carl

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 16:21     ` Mohamed HIBTI
From: Mohamed HIBTI @ 2011-02-16 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > gnus is an obvious candidate. It can be a bit of a steep learning curve
> > initially. I use it to interact with two different gmail accounts via
> > imap, as well as a few nntp groups, like this one. I'm finding the
> > development version of gnus a pleasure to use for this: it is fast, and
> > there's a very nice search facility both for imap and for nntp
> > groups. (E.g. I used to find it hard to reply in an old thread, but not
> > any longer)
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> Could you share some details of your gnus implementation with GMail? I
> have been trying to setup this based on various sites and I never
> succeded.
>
> I would love to use gnus with gmail and Org-Mode.
>
> Carl

Thank you all for this information.

I will try all these alternatives
By the way I tried VM but I had an error message with POP over SSL.
I have to try to fix that.

with Rmail I couldn't read correctly MIME  and the org-store-link produced an
error with "org-remove-angle-brackets(nil)"

Mohamed

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 16:27     ` Mohamed HIBTI
From: Mohamed HIBTI @ 2011-02-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manuel Hermenegildo <herme <at> fi.upm.es> writes:

> VM has pretty reasonable integration with org (make sure you use a
> recent version, i.e., 8.1.xx or later). --Manuel

I tried VM version 8.1.0. But I didn't succeed to set it correctly.

Mohamed

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 16:41     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Carl,

> Could you share some details of your gnus implementation with GMail? I
> have been trying to setup this based on various sites and I never
> succeded.

With the git version of gnus (or the one included in emacs' bzr trunk),
you only need this.

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "Gmail"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

Put your credentials in your ~/.authinfo (on preferrable in your GnuPG
encrypted ~/.authinfo.gpg), and everything should work smoothly.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 16:41   ` Mohamed HIBTI
From: Mohamed HIBTI @ 2011-02-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Dan,
I don't know the functions developed by Eric Schulte.
But if you could share any configuration template it would be helpful.
Regards,
Mohamed

* Re: Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 17:11     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-16 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Bolduc; +Cc: Mohamed HIBTI, emacs-orgmode, Dan Davison

Carl Bolduc <carlbolduc@gmail.com> writes:

>> gnus is an obvious candidate. It can be a bit of a steep learning curve
>> initially. I use it to interact with two different gmail accounts via
>> imap, as well as a few nntp groups, like this one. I'm finding the
>> development version of gnus a pleasure to use for this: it is fast, and
>> there's a very nice search facility both for imap and for nntp
>> groups. (E.g. I used to find it hard to reply in an old thread, but not
>> any longer)
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> Could you share some details of your gnus implementation with GMail? I
> have been trying to setup this based on various sites and I never
> succeded.
>
> I would love to use gnus with gmail and Org-Mode.

A while ago I put together a set of instruction on configuring gnus with
gmail, once you know what to do it is fairly straightforward.  Please
let me know if this causes you any problems.

For using imap (probably the recommended option)
http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/starter-kit-gnus-imap.html

for using pop
http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/starter-kit-gnus-pop.html

* Re: Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-16 17:17   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Mohamed HIBTI, emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com> writes:

> Mohamed HIBTI <mohamed.hibti@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi every one,
>> I would like to move to an emacs mail client that may be org-mode and MIME
>> compatible. Have you any idea ?

I would like to second gnus, I've been using it for a couple of years
now and have been *very* happy with it.

> gnus is an obvious candidate. It can be a bit of a steep learning curve
> initially. I use it to interact with two different gmail accounts via
> imap, as well as a few nntp groups, like this one. I'm finding the
> development version of gnus a pleasure to use for this: it is fast, and
> there's a very nice search facility both for imap and for nntp
> groups. (E.g. I used to find it hard to reply in an old thread, but not
> any longer)

I'm also using the development version of gnus, but haven't noticed the
searching features, could you point these out, a key binding or command
name?

> As for MIME, do you know the org-mime-* functions, contributed by Eric
> Schulte? They work very nicely; I'm looking forward to finding some
> spare time to work out how best to fit them into my day-to-day emailing.

Org-mime can be used separate from any particular email client (as long
as Emacs know your email address).  Try loading contrib/org-mime.el and
then calling `org-mime-subtree' from within a subtree of an Org-mode
buffer (you can set email headers with MAIL_TO, MAIL_CC, etc...).  Also,
from within an email composition buffer you can select a region of text
in Org-mode markup and then call org-mime-htmlize, to convert the region
to an HTML mail part.

Cheers -- Eric

* Re: Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 17:47     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2011-02-16 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode Discussion

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm also using the development version of gnus, but haven't noticed
> the searching features, could you point these out, a key binding or
> command name?

Put the cursor on the group you want to search in the Group buffer and
hit:

,----
| GG
`----

Charles

--
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 197 bytes --]

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2011-02-16 18:14       ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2011-02-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: Org-mode Discussion

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm also using the development version of gnus, but haven't noticed
>> the searching features, could you point these out, a key binding or
>> command name?
>
> Put the cursor on the group you want to search in the Group buffer and
> hit:
>
> ,----
> | GG
> `----

Yes, that's what I meant.

Dan

@ 2011-02-23  7:26         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-23  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Org-mode Discussion

Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com> writes:

> Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm also using the development version of gnus, but haven't noticed
>>> the searching features, could you point these out, a key binding or
>>> command name?
>>
>> Put the cursor on the group you want to search in the Group buffer and
>> hit:
>>
>> ,----
>> | GG
>> `----
>
> Yes, that's what I meant.
>
> Dan

and, if you want to search the ding mailing list, the key word is
"nnir".  works really well.

For the OP, gnus is definitely the way to go as far as I am concerned.
With the development version of gnus, org integration, including
fontification of source code blocks and links, is excellent.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.523.gd34329)

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2012-12-31  7:29           ` Gour
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Gour @ 2012-12-31  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:26:00 +0000
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> For the OP, gnus is definitely the way to go as far as I am concerned.
> With the development version of gnus, org integration, including
> fontification of source code blocks and links, is excellent.

Due to OCaml, I'm returning back to Emacs/Orgmode and would like to
take advantage of orgmode's capabilities to link to email messages.

Afaict, there is no support in orgmode for Claws mailer which I use for
regular email, mailing lists (mostly via gmane) as well as rss reader.

is Gnus the only Emacs-based client which has good support for all of
these as well as good support for orgmode?

I'd also like to use Notmuch for quick searching and would fetch
mail via getmail and use locally running dovecot for serving IMAP...

Yesterday I read a bit about mu(4e), but it seems it handles only email
and not nntp?

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2012-12-31  9:19             ` Bastien
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-31  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gour,

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Afaict, there is no support in orgmode for Claws mailer which I use for
> regular email, mailing lists (mostly via gmane) as well as rss reader.

But you're not alone in the Org/Claws desert:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-10/msg00539.html

The function quote in the mail above could easily be enhanced to call
Claws asynchronously.

> is Gnus the only Emacs-based client which has good support for all of
> these as well as good support for orgmode?

AFAIK yes.  You can create tasks from Mew/WL/MH-E/Rmail but Gnus is
the only one to support org+nntp+rss.

> I'd also like to use Notmuch for quick searching and would fetch
> mail via getmail and use locally running dovecot for serving IMAP...
>
> Yesterday I read a bit about mu(4e), but it seems it handles only email
> and not nntp?

Yes.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2012-12-31 11:18               ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2012-12-31 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:19:58 +0100
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> But you're not alone in the Org/Claws desert:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-10/msg00539.html

Yeah, I saw it, but not much afterwards.

> AFAIK yes.  You can create tasks from Mew/WL/MH-E/Rmail but Gnus is
> the only one to support org+nntp+rss.

I used Gnus in the past but had some rss parsing-related problems.

Otoh, this might be good opportunity to return to Gnus and just keep
some simple mailer for my other family members to access their
mail.

> > Yesterday I read a bit about mu(4e), but it seems it handles only
> > email and not nntp?
>
> Yes.

Then the Gnus is without competition.

> HTH,

Yes. Thank you for your reply and taking care about orgmode. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Many, many births both you and I have passed. I can remember
all of them, but you cannot, O subduer of the enemy!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-01 12:36             ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2013-01-01 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  I use Wanderlust and can make links from org just fine.

  I used gnus from 2008 to 2010 but could not make it work as I wanted. It seemed to value some things that I didn't (e.g. scoring, splitting, NNTP-style everywhere) whereas it didn't shine in other areas I needed (e.g. multiple SMTP servers, usability). Wanderlust was working perfectly since the first moment, and didn't require hacking, just configuration.

  Wanderlust is primarily an e-mail reader (IMAP, POP, Maildir, MH, …) but it can read NNTP natively, and some people also read RSS with it: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HOWTOReadFeedsInEmacsViaEmail

  So that's my bet.

Daniel
El Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:29:12 +0100 Gour va escriure:

@ 2013-01-01 17:57             ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-01-01 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour writes:

> Yesterday I read a bit about mu(4e), but it seems it handles only email
> and not nntp?

I use mu4e, and what I really like about it is that the links are
stable, even when moving mail from outside (like a web mail app or a
mobile device). I could never get the registry to work well with gnus to
solve this.

Alan

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
       [not found] <mailman.97.1357059622.589.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-01 18:10 ` Salome =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F6dergran ?=
From: Salome =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F6dergran ?= @ 2013-01-01 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gour

VM, too,  cooperates just fine with org.
I use orgstruct- and orgtbl-mode in mail-mode and linking and capturing work like a charm.

Salome

@ 2013-01-01 23:14               ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2013-01-01 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:

>   I use Wanderlust and can make links from org just fine.
>
>   I used gnus from 2008 to 2010 but could not make it work as I wanted. It
> seemed to value some things that I didn't (e.g. scoring, splitting, NNTP-style
> everywhere) whereas it didn't shine in other areas I needed (e.g. multiple SMTP
> servers, usability). Wanderlust was working perfectly since the first moment,
> and didn't require hacking, just configuration.

Multiple smtp servers are well supported for quite a while now.

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-02  0:54                 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2013-01-02  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

El Tue, 01 Jan 2013 23:14:19 +0000 Richard Riley va escriure:
> > (gnus)
>
> Multiple smtp servers are well supported for quite a while now.

  Yes, I used it, but it was not an elegant solution. Just look at how much information you need to make it work; it's frightening: http://emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleSMTPAccounts
  If there's a new way to do it, the wiki can be updated.

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-02  8:19               ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-02  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 13:36:16 +0100
Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I used gnus from 2008 to 2010 but could not make it work as I
> wanted. It seemed to value some things that I didn't (e.g. scoring,
> splitting, NNTP-style everywhere) whereas it didn't shine in other
> areas I needed (e.g. multiple SMTP servers, usability). Wanderlust
> was working perfectly since the first moment, and didn't require
> hacking, just configuration.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
There is no possibility of one's becoming a yogī, O Arjuna,
if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-02  8:22               ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-02  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 18:57:46 +0100
Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> I use mu4e, and what I really like about it is that the links are
> stable, even when moving mail from outside (like a web mail app or a
> mobile device). I could never get the registry to work well with gnus
> to solve this.

That's very cool feature, but lack of nntp is problem 'cause out of 24
mailing lists which I follow, 23 are followed via gmane, so mu4e cannot
provide complete solution for me.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The intricacies of action are very hard to understand.
Therefore one should know properly what action is,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2013-01-02  8:57             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-01-02  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:29:12AM +0100, Gour wrote:

> I'd also like to use Notmuch for quick searching and would fetch
> mail via getmail and use locally running dovecot for serving IMAP...

I use notmuch for indexing only, and read and send emails from mutt.
Although I do not use gnus, I do use emacs as my editor (hence
message-mode) to compose emails; there I find Org is supported rather
well.  For linking to emails, I have been using org-notmuch quite
successfully for the last year now.

If you are interested, feel free to ask I can share more details.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-02 10:41               ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2013-01-02 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 08:57:14AM +0000, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> I use notmuch for indexing only, and read and send emails from mutt.
> Although I do not use gnus, I do use emacs as my editor (hence
> message-mode) to compose emails; there I find Org is supported rather
> well.  For linking to emails, I have been using org-notmuch quite
> successfully for the last year now.
>
> If you are interested, feel free to ask I can share more details.

I also would be interested in your orgmode + notmuch config...

thanks in advance!

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-02 12:38               ` Viktor Rosenfeld
From: Viktor Rosenfeld @ 2013-01-02 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:29:12AM +0100, Gour wrote:
>
> I use notmuch for indexing only, and read and send emails from mutt.
> Although I do not use gnus, I do use emacs as my editor (hence
> message-mode) to compose emails; there I find Org is supported rather
> well.  For linking to emails, I have been using org-notmuch quite
> successfully for the last year now.
>
> If you are interested, feel free to ask I can share more details.

I'm interested in your mutt+notmuch setup.

Happy new year!

Cheers,
Viktor

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-02 19:07                 ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2013-01-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have a closely related question:

I use multiple devices, so I need to have an IMAP server that really is
an IMAP server, instead of something the just serves up messages to be
downloaded.  I have multiple folders, and I read messages from different
clients.

I haven't been able to figure out an org-mode compatible mail reader
that doesn't seem to want me to pull down all the messages to a local
server.  [I'm ok if it doesn't read nntp.]

Thunderbird, which I have been using, doesn't support links to messages.
 OTOH, it has the best IMAP client I have found, so I keep coming back
to it.

Gnus:  I regret to say that despite having tried it at least three
times, I have never managed to wrap my head around the gnus doctrine
that mail is just news, so I cannot use it.

VM:  I used to use VM, but at least when I was using it, it demanded
local storage, and did not include a full-fledged IMAP client.

any other suggestions?

Maybe this could go onto worg....

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-03 10:17                   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2013-01-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpgoldman; +Cc: Org Mode

El Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:07:20 -0600 Robert Goldman va escriure:

> Thunderbird, which I have been using, doesn't support links to messages.
>  OTOH, it has the best IMAP client I have found, so I keep coming back
> to it.
>
> Gnus:  I regret to say that despite having tried it at least three
> times, I have never managed to wrap my head around the gnus doctrine
> that mail is just news, so I cannot use it.

  Wanderlust speaks IMAP natively and works in a similar way to Thunderbird. It does not store e-mails locally, although it uses some caché.
  Probably others too.

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-03 10:53                   ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2013-01-03 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 01:07:20PM -0600, Robert Goldman wrote:
> I use multiple devices, so I need to have an IMAP server that really is
> an IMAP server, instead of something the just serves up messages to be
> downloaded.  I have multiple folders, and I read messages from different
> clients.

I have a similar requirement.  My setup consists of mutt together with
imapfilter for sorting and filtering of e-mail on the IMAP server and
offlineimap to hold a copy of all mails on the IMAP server locally.  For
the integration into the org-mode workflow, I have defined a [[mutt: ]]
link and installed a script to capture a mail from mutt.  To show a mail
in Emacs, I use notmuch.

It works very well for me.  Although I have to say that I'm coming from
the Vi world and using mutt since many years.  So this cumbersome setup
was my concession to keep my familiar e-mail client.

The following link may help with a similar (but probably easier) setup
with wanderlust that provides better and easier integration into Emacs.
http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/search/label/wanderlust

Regards
--
Michael Strey
www.strey.biz

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-03 12:11                     ` Stelian Iancu
From: Stelian Iancu @ 2013-01-03 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 01:07:20PM -0600, Robert Goldman wrote:
> > I use multiple devices, so I need to have an IMAP server that really is
> > an IMAP server, instead of something the just serves up messages to be
> > downloaded.  I have multiple folders, and I read messages from different
> > clients.
>
> I have a similar requirement.  My setup consists of mutt together with
> imapfilter for sorting and filtering of e-mail on the IMAP server and
> offlineimap to hold a copy of all mails on the IMAP server locally.  For
> the integration into the org-mode workflow, I have defined a [[mutt: ]]
> link and installed a script to capture a mail from mutt.  To show a mail
> in Emacs, I use notmuch.
>
> It works very well for me.  Although I have to say that I'm coming from
> the Vi world and using mutt since many years.  So this cumbersome setup
> was my concession to keep my familiar e-mail client.
>
> The following link may help with a similar (but probably easier) setup
> with wanderlust that provides better and easier integration into Emacs.
> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.de/search/label/wanderlust
>
> Regards
> --
> Michael Strey
> www.strey.biz

You guys might want to check out mu4e as well:
http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html

It's quite young but shows a lot of promise.

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-03 14:21                       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-03 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:11:26 +0100
Stelian Iancu <lists@siancu.net> wrote:

> You guys might want to check out mu4e as well:
> http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html
>
> It's quite young but shows a lot of promise.

Looks interesting, but it lacks support for nntp and all the mailing
lists I follow (except one) are via Gmane. :-/

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice,
O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion —

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-03 18:45                     ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2013-01-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: Org Mode

On 1/3/13 Jan 3 -4:17 AM, Daniel Clemente wrote:
> El Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:07:20 -0600 Robert Goldman va escriure:
>>
>> Thunderbird, which I have been using, doesn't support links to messages.
>>  OTOH, it has the best IMAP client I have found, so I keep coming back
>> to it.
>>
>> Gnus:  I regret to say that despite having tried it at least three
>> times, I have never managed to wrap my head around the gnus doctrine
>> that mail is just news, so I cannot use it.
>>

>   Wanderlust speaks IMAP natively and works in a similar way to Thunderbird. It does not store e-mails locally, although it uses some caché.
>   Probably others too.

Thank you so much.  I recall trying to install Wanderlust in the past
and getting tripped up by the need to install SEMI, APEL and FLIM, which
didn't successfully build for me (Aquamacs).

Wanderlust still seems pretty difficult to set up:

The INSTALL instructions for Wanderlust (on github) have not been
updated in 2 years.  They give instructions for up-to-date Emacs
versions like 20.4 and they are unclear about whether to use FLIM or
CLIME, or where to get the latter.  Also, currently, the FAQ at the
Wanderlust homepage points to dead FTP URLs for SEMI, APEL, and FLIM
packages.

If you don't grok el-get, or have prepackaged (e.g., Debian) versions of
Wanderlust, this beast seems like a huge chore to install.

Sigh.

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-10 13:47                 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-01-10 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Viktor Rosenfeld, Igor Sosa Mayor

Hello Viktor and Igor,

Sorry for the late response, I was on holidays.

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 01:38:40PM +0100, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 08:29:12AM +0100, Gour wrote:
> >
> > I use notmuch for indexing only, and read and send emails from mutt.
> > Although I do not use gnus, I do use emacs as my editor (hence
> > message-mode) to compose emails; there I find Org is supported rather
> > well.  For linking to emails, I have been using org-notmuch quite
> > successfully for the last year now.
> >
> > If you are interested, feel free to ask I can share more details.
>
> I'm interested in your mutt+notmuch setup.

Syncing:

I use offlineimap to sync my Gmail account to a maildir.  The
configuration for this part is pretty basic.  In my offlineimap
postsynchook, I call `notmuch new`.  This indexes new emails.  I do this
every 5 minutes via a cron job (script attached).

Indexing:

Now my notmuch has a post-new hook which updates the tags I want to set.
It is basically a sequence of

  notmuch tag -<tagname> -- <query>  # to remove tags
  notmuch tag +<tagname> -- <query>  # to add tags

To make date based queries I use something like this

  $(($(date +%s) - <seconds>)))))

in the query, e.g. <seconds> can be 604800 to specify one week ago.
This post-new hook is just the shell script <notmuchdb>/hooks/post-new.

Reading & responding to emails:

To make notmuch queries from mutt I use the excellent mutt fork, mutt-kz
<https://github.com/karelzak/mutt-kz>.  I have managed to package it for
fedora replacing mutt from the repositories (spec file attached).

The README.notmuch in the repository above is pretty clear and concise.
Other than the interactive search it offers, I have also written a shell
script to filter threads by message-id or subject (attached).

I use emacsclient to respond.  I have not customised message-mode,
mostly due to lack of time.  So far I find the defaults are quite
acceptable, so I am not that motivated to customise just yet :-p.

Browsing, searching and linking to emails:

I can use the notmuch emacs client to browse and search through the
email archives (try M-x notmuch or M-x notmuch-search).  There is also a
very nice contributed library called notmuch-pick that offers a rather
nice threaded view.

To link to emails from Org mode, I use the library org-notmuch from
org-mode/contrib.  To use, just add contrib to the load-path and
require.  Now you can store a link to emails with org-store-link while
viewing it in the notmuch emacs client and insert the link later with
org-insert-link or org-insert-link-global.  As far I have noticed, it
can link to specific messages in threads, not just threads.

Caveat:

I have noticed sometimes the notmuch emacs client barfs at html email
sent from broken clients.  That said I did notice the latest version of
notmuch (0.15) address html email issues by being able to choose
specific MIME types to view for multipart messages.  Here is a quote
from the NEWS file:

  Visibility of MIME parts can be toggled

    Each part of a multi-part MIME email can now be shown or hidden
    using the button at the top of each part (by pressing RET on it or
    by clicking).  For emails with multiple alternative formats (e.g.,
    plain text and HTML), only the preferred format is shown initially,
    but other formats can be shown using their part buttons.  To control
    the behavior of this, see
    `notmuch-multipart/alternative-discouraged` and
    `notmuch-show-all-multipart/alternative-parts`.

Hopefully I have given enough information about my setup.

GL,

--
Suvayu

[-- Attachment #2: offlineimap-cron --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 533 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash

# set -o xtrace

# return null string when filename expansion fails
shopt -s nullglob

declare cdir=$HOME/.offlineimap opts=("$@")
declare logfile=$cdir/log lockfile=($cdir/*lock) timestamp=$(date "+%F %T %Z")

exec 2>&1
exec >> $logfile

# clean-up past runs
[[ -e $lockfile ]] && rm $lockfile && \
    echo "$timestamp: Cleaning up lock file $lockfile"

# sync with Gmail if imap server is reachable
nc -z imap.gmail.com 993 &> /dev/null && {
    echo "$timestamp: Syncing with Gmail";
    offlineimap "${opts[@]}";
}

[-- Attachment #3: filter-mutt-thread --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 827 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash

## Usage: Mutt macros to use this script
#
# macro index,pager       <F3> "<pipe-message>filter-mutt-thread id > /tmp/mutt-search-500<enter>\
# <enter-command>source /tmp/mutt-search-500<enter>" "Collate entire thread by message id"
#
# macro index,pager       <F4> "<pipe-message>filter-mutt-thread subject > /tmp/mutt-search-500<enter>\
# <enter-command>source /tmp/mutt-search-500<enter>" "Collate entire thread by subject"

# set -o xtrace

# leave tmp file management to caller
# TMPFILE=$(mktemp --tmpdir=/tmp mutt-search-$UID-XXXX)

declare query="$1" hdr regex match

case "$query" in
    id)
	hdr=Message-ID
	;;
    subject)
	hdr=Subject
	;;
    *)
	echo "Unknown option"
	exit -1
esac

match=$(formail -z -x $hdr | tr -d '<>')

echo "push '<vfolder-from-query> ${query}:\"$match\"&type=threads<enter>'"

[-- Attachment #4: mutt.spec --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 21723 bytes --]

%global git 51a28736
%bcond_without debug
%bcond_without imap
%bcond_without pop
%bcond_without smtp
%bcond_without gnutls
%bcond_without gss
%bcond_without sasl
%bcond_without idn
%bcond_without gpgme
%bcond_without notmuch

%bcond_without hcache
%bcond_without tokyocabinet
%bcond_with bdb
%bcond_with qdbm
%bcond_with gdbm

Name: mutt
Version: 1.5.21
Release: 15.20121121.git.%{git}%{?dist}
Epoch: 5
# The entire source code is GPLv2+ except
# pgpewrap.c setenv.c sha1.c wcwidth.c which are Public Domain
License: GPLv2+ and Public Domain
Group: Applications/Internet
# Git snapshot of mutt-kz
# $ git clone git://github.com/karelzak/mutt-kz.git mutt
# $ cd mutt && git archive --format=tar --prefix=mutt-1.5.21/ %{git} | \
#              gzip > mutt-1.5.21-$(git show-ref --hash=8 %{git}).tar.gz
Source0: mutt-%{version}-%{git}.tar.gz
Source1: mutt_ldap_query
Patch1: mutt-1.5.21-testcert.patch
Patch2: mutt-1.5.21-cabundle.patch
Patch3: mutt-1.5.21-gpgme-1.2.0.patch
Patch4: mutt-1.5.21-pophash.patch
Patch5: mutt-1.5.21-certscomp.patch
Patch6: mutt-1.5.21-notation.patch
Patch7: mutt-1.5.21-syncdebug.patch
Patch8: mutt-1.5.13-nodotlock.patch
# mutt-kz already patched with writeahead
# skipping tmpdir patch, not sure if want to apply
Requires: mailcap urlview
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
BuildRequires: ncurses-devel
BuildRequires: gettext
BuildRequires: automake
# required to build documentation
BuildRequires: docbook-style-xsl libxslt lynx

%if %{with hcache}
%{?with_tokyocabinet:BuildRequires: tokyocabinet-devel}
%{?with_bdb:BuildRequires: db4-devel}
%{?with_qdbm:BuildRequires: qdbm-devel}
%{?with_gdbm:BuildRequires: gdbm-devel}
%endif
%if %{with imap} || %{with pop} || %{with smtp}
%{?with_gnutls:BuildRequires: gnutls-devel}
%{?with_sasl:BuildRequires: cyrus-sasl-devel}
%endif
%if %{with imap}
%{?with_gss:BuildRequires: krb5-devel}
%endif
%{?with_idn:BuildRequires: libidn-devel}
%{?with_gpgme:BuildRequires: gpgme-devel}
%{?with_notmuch:BuildRequires: notmuch-devel}

%description

Mutt-kz is a fork of the excellent console email client Mutt with
notmuch support for indexing emails.  Notmuch is a email indexing
program built on top of the xapian database library.  Since this fork
is essentially the same as Mutt other than the support for notmuch,
description of Mutt follows.

Mutt is a small but very powerful text-based MIME mail client.  Mutt
is highly configurable, and is well suited to the mail power user with
advanced features like key bindings, keyboard macros, mail threading,
regular expression searches and a powerful pattern matching language
for selecting groups of messages.

%prep
%setup -q
./prepare -V
# Thou shalt use fcntl, and only fcntl
%patch1 -p1 -b .testcert
%patch2 -p1 -b .cabundle
%patch3 -p1 -b .gpgme-1.2.0
%patch4 -p1 -b .pophash
%patch5 -p1 -b .certscomp
%patch6 -p1 -b .notation
%patch7 -p1 -b .syncdebug
%patch8 -p1 -b .nodotlock

sed -i.gpgerror 's/`$GPGME_CONFIG --libs`/"\0 -lgpg-error"/' configure

install -p -m644 %{SOURCE1} mutt_ldap_query

%define hgreldate \\.(201[0-9])([0-1][0-9])([0-3][0-9])hg
if echo %{release} | grep -E -q '%{hgreldate}'; then
        echo -n 'const char *ReleaseDate = ' > reldate.h
        echo %{release} | sed -r 's/.*%{hgreldate}.*/"\1-\2-\3";/' >> reldate.h
fi

%build

%configure \
                SENDMAIL=%{_sbindir}/sendmail \
                ISPELL=%{_bindir}/hunspell \
%{?with_debug:	 --enable-debug} \
%{?with_pop:	 --enable-pop} \
%{?with_imap:	 --enable-imap} \
%{?with_smtp:	 --enable-smtp} \
%{?with_notmuch: --enable-notmuch} \
%if %{with hcache}
		 --enable-hcache \
%{!?with_tokyocabinet:	--without-tokyocabinet} \
%{!?with_gdbm:	 --without-gdbm} \
%{!?with_qdbm:	 --without-qdbm} \
%endif
%if %{with imap} || %{with pop} || %{with smtp}
%{?with_gnutls:	 --with-gnutls} \
%{?with_sasl:	 --with-sasl} \
%endif
%if %{with imap}
%{?with_gss: 	 --with-gss} \
%endif
%{!?with_idn:	 --without-idn} \
%{?with_gpgme:	 --enable-gpgme} \
		 --with-docdir=%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}

make %{?_smp_mflags}

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
make install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT

# we like GPG here
cat contrib/gpg.rc >> \
	$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc

grep -5 "^color" contrib/sample.muttrc >> \
	$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc

cat >> $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc <<EOF
source %{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc.local
EOF

echo "# Local configuration for Mutt." > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc.local

# remove unpackaged files from the buildroot
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/{*.dist,mime.types}
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}/{flea,muttbug}
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_mandir}/man1/{flea,muttbug,mutt_dotlock}.1*
rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_mandir}/man5/{mbox,mmdf}.5*

%find_lang %{name}

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files -f %{name}.lang
%defattr(-,root,root)
%config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc
%config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/Muttrc.local
%doc COPYRIGHT ChangeLog GPL NEWS README* UPDATING mutt_ldap_query
%doc contrib/*.rc contrib/sample.* contrib/colors.*
%doc doc/manual.txt doc/smime-notes.txt
%{_bindir}/mutt
%{_bindir}/pgpring
%{_bindir}/pgpewrap
%{_bindir}/smime_keys
%{_mandir}/man1/mutt.*
%{_mandir}/man1/smime_keys.*
%{_mandir}/man5/muttrc.*

%changelog
* Thu May 10 2012 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-12
- Fix segmentation fault while syncing mailbox
  (rhbz#691719)
- Fix unhandled strchr output
  (rhbz#833044)

* Wed Apr 25 2012 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-11
- Patch from Petr Pisar fixing verification of PGP signatures
  with NULL notation
  (rhbz#816044)

* Fri Jan 13 2012 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 5:1.5.21-10
- Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_17_Mass_Rebuild

* Wed Dec 07 2011 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-9
- Fixed a segmentation fault while parsing the certificates file
  (rhbz#750929)

* Wed Nov 02 2011 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-8
- Removed ca-bundle.crt since it is outdated (rhbz#734379)
- Build with gpgme support by default (rhbz#748337)
- Fixed segmentation fault during messages removal in thread mode
  (rhbz#674271)

* Wed Oct 26 2011 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 5:1.5.21-7
- Rebuilt for glibc bug#747377

* Wed Jun 29 2011 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-6
- Fixed message indexes when skipping fetch response (mutt bug #3288)

* Fri Apr 15 2011 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-5
- Fixed hostname verification of x.509 certificates.
  (rhbz#688756, CVE-2011-1429)

* Tue Mar 29 2011 Honza Horak <hhorak@redhat.com> - 5:1.5.21-4
- Fixed segmentation faults during reading message headers (rhbz#676074)

* Tue Feb 08 2011 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 5:1.5.21-3
- Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_15_Mass_Rebuild

* Wed Sep 29 2010 jkeating - 5:1.5.21-2
- Rebuilt for gcc bug 634757

* Tue Sep 21 2010 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.21-1
- update to 1.5.21
- link with gpg-error when building with gpgme support (#621626)

* Fri Jul 30 2010 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.20-3.20100718hg1a35f0
- update to hg snapshot 20100718hg1a35f0

* Thu Dec 17 2009 Deji Akingunola <dakingun@gmail.com> - 5:1.5.20-2.20091214hg736b6a.1
- Rebuild for tokyocabinet new release soname bump

* Wed Dec 16 2009 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.20-2.20091214hg736b6a
- update to hg snapshot 20091214hg736b6a

* Fri Sep 18 2009 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.20-1.20090827hg605559
- update to post 1.5.20 hg snapshot (#515148)
- use hunspell by default (#510358)

* Sat Jul 25 2009 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 5:1.5.19-6
- Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Mass_Rebuild

* Tue Jun 09 2009 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.19-5
- fix certificate verification (CVE-2009-1390)
- add support for gnutls INSECURE_ALGORITHM error code (#499390)

* Wed Apr 01 2009 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.19-4
- use PATH_MAX for buffers passed to realpath (#492861)
- unconditionally inode-sort Maildir and MH folders
- restore connection polling callback when closing SASL connection

* Wed Feb 25 2009 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@lists.fedoraproject.org> - 5:1.5.19-3
- Rebuilt for https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Mass_Rebuild

* Wed Jan 14 2009 Alex Lancaster <alexlan[AT]fedoraproject org> - 5:1.5.19-2
- Rebuild for deps

* Wed Jan 07 2009 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.19-1
- update to 1.5.19
- switch hcache backend to tokyocabinet
- drop intr patch

* Mon Jul 28 2008 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.18-4
- rebuild with db4.7 (Robert Scheck) (#455144)

* Wed Jun 25 2008 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.18-3
- buildrequire aspell (#452133)
- rebuild with new gnutls

* Mon Jun 02 2008 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.18-2
- allow interrupts when reading, writing or closing sockets (#447887)
- fix possible crash when opening IMAP mailbox

* Mon May 19 2008 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.18-1
- update to 1.5.18

* Fri Apr 04 2008 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.17-4
- fix sending long commands when using gnutls (#438275)
- glob tilde in smime_keys (#424311)
- fix awk script in mutt_ldap_query
- force building with libdb
- make enabling/disabling features in spec easier

* Tue Feb 19 2008 Fedora Release Engineering <rel-eng@fedoraproject.org> - 5:1.5.17-3
- Autorebuild for GCC 4.3

* Fri Nov 23 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.17-2
- don't ignore $from in batch send mode (#392861)
- check Maildir for not being NULL when expanding '='-paths
- prevent mailto parsing buffer overflow by ignoring too long header
- use strtok_r() to parse mailto: links, not strtok()
- update UPDATING

* Fri Nov 02 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.17-1
- update to 1.5.17

* Mon Sep 17 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.16-4
- fix md5 on big-endian systems

* Tue Aug 28 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.16-3
- replace md5 implementation
- update license tag

* Wed Jul 11 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.16-2
- split urlview off, fix requires and description (#226167)

* Mon Jun 11 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.16-1
- update to 1.5.16

* Mon May 28 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.14-4
- validate msgid in APOP authentication (CVE-2007-1558)
- fix overflow in gecos field handling (CVE-2007-2683)

* Mon Mar 19 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.14-3
- fix building

* Mon Mar 19 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.14-2
- add check_mbox_size configuration variable; if enabled, file size is used
  instead of access time when checking for new mail
- bind delete key to delete-char (#232601)

* Fri Feb 23 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.14-1
- update to 1.5.14

* Thu Feb 15 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.13-2.20070212cvs
- update to latest CVS
- enable libidn support (#228158)

* Wed Feb 07 2007 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.5.13-1.20070126cvs
- update to 1.5.13, and latest CVS (#168183, #220816)
- spec cleanup

* Wed Dec 06 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.2-5
- use correct fcc folder with IMAP (#217469)
- don't require smtpdaemon, gettext

* Tue Oct 31 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.2-4
- fix POP authentication with latest cyrus-sasl (#212816)

* Tue Oct 24 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.2-3
- fix insecure temp file creation on NFS (#211085, CVE-2006-5297)

* Thu Aug 03 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.2-2
- fix a SASL authentication bug (#199591)

* Mon Jul 17 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.2-1
- update to 1.4.2.2
- fix directories in manual.txt (#162207)
- drop bcc patch (#197408)
- don't package flea

* Wed Jul 12 2006 Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> - 5:1.4.2.1-7.1
- rebuild

* Thu Jun 29 2006 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.1-7
- fix a buffer overflow when processing IMAP namespace (#197152, CVE-2006-3242)

* Fri Feb 10 2006 Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> - 5:1.4.2.1-6.2.1
- bump again for double-long bug on ppc(64)

* Tue Feb 07 2006 Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com> - 5:1.4.2.1-6.2
- rebuilt for new gcc4.1 snapshot and glibc changes

* Fri Dec 09 2005 Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com>
- rebuilt

* Wed Nov  9 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.1-6
- rebuild against new ssl libs

* Thu Oct 27 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.1-5
- add patch from 1.5 branch to fix SASL logging (#157251, #171528)

* Fri Aug 26 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.1-3
- add patch from 1.5 branch to fix base64 decoding (#166718)

* Mon Mar  7 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.1-2
- rebuild against new openssl
- fix build with gcc4

* Thu Jan 27 2005 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.2.1-1
- update to 1.4.2.1 (#141007, <moritz@barsnick.net>)
- include a /etc/Muttrc.local for site config (#123109)
- add <f2> as a additional help key for terminals that use <f1> internally
  (#139277)

* Wed Sep 15 2004 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-10
- expect the server to prompt for additional auth data if we have some to
  send (#129961, upstream #1845)
- use "pop" as the service name instead of "pop-3" when using SASL for POP,
  per rfc1734

* Fri Aug 13 2004 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-9
- set write_bcc to no by default (since we ship exim)
- build against sasl2 (#126724)

* Mon Jun 28 2004 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- remove autosplat patch (#116769)

* Tue Jun 15 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
- rebuilt

* Tue Jun  8 2004 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-7
- link urlview against ncursesw (fixes #125530, indirectly)

* Fri Feb 13 2004 Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
- rebuilt

* Tue Jan 27 2004 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-5
- add patch to fix menu padding (CAN-2004-0078, #109317)

* Mon Aug 18 2003 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-4
- rebuild against ncursesw

* Tue Jul 22 2003 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-3.2
- rebuild

* Mon Jul  7 2003 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-3
- fix auth to windows KDCs (#98662)

* Wed Jun 04 2003 Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
- rebuilt

* Wed Mar 19 2003 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4.1-1
- update to 1.4.1, fixes buffer overflow in IMAP code

* Wed Jan 22 2003 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com>
- rebuilt

* Mon Jan 20 2003 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4-9
- add mailcap requires
- change urlview to htmlview as default browser

* Fri Jan 17 2003 Florian La Roche <Florian.LaRoche@redhat.de>
- change urlview to mozilla as default browser

* Tue Jan 7 2003 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 5:1.4-7
- rebuild

* Mon Dec 2 2002 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 5:1.4-6
- ship flea

* Fri Nov 29 2002 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com> 5:1.4-5
- remove unpackaged files from the buildroot

* Fri Jun 21 2002 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com>
- automated rebuild

* Fri Jun 14 2002 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 1.4-3
- rebuild against new slang

* Wed May 29 2002 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 1.4-2
- forcibly enable SSL and GSSAPI support

* Wed May 29 2002 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> 1.4-1
- whoa, 1.4.

* Sun May 26 2002 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com>
- automated rebuild

* Thu May 16 2002 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- autoconf fun

* Wed Jan 09 2002 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com>
- automated rebuild

* Tue Jan  1 2002 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 1.2.5.1

* Mon Jul 23 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- don't explictly require krb5-libs, etc.; that's what find-requires is for
  (#49780, sort of)

* Sat Jul 21 2001 Tim Powers <timp@redhat.com>
- no more applnk entries, it's cluttering our menus

* Fri Jul 20 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- add slang-devel to buildprereqs (#49531)

* Mon Jun 11 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- add some sample color definitions (#19471)

* Thu May 24 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- fix typo in muttrc.man (#41610)

* Mon May 14 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- use mktemp in muttbug

* Wed May  2 2001 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- require webclient, not weclient

* Wed May  2 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- build urlview here

* Fri Mar  2 2001 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- rebuild in new environment

* Tue Feb 13 2001 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- change buildprereq to /usr/sbin/sendmail (it's what it should have been
  originally)
- %%langify

* Tue Feb 13 2001 Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani@redhat.com>
- changed buildprereq to smtpdaemon

* Tue Dec 19 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- rebuild; it's just broken
- fix #13196
- buildprereq sendmail

* Fri Dec 01 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- rebuild because of broken fileutils

* Fri Nov 10 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- include a sample LDAP query script as a doc file

* Mon Nov  6 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- patch for imap servers that like to volunteer information after AUTHENTICATE

* Thu Aug 24 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- rebuild in new environment
- force flock() off and fcntl() on in case defaults change

* Tue Aug  8 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- enable SSL support

* Fri Aug  4 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- add translation to desktop entry

* Fri Jul 28 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 1.2.5i - fixes IMAP bugs

* Wed Jul 12 2000 Prospector <bugzilla@redhat.com>
- automatic rebuild

* Fri Jul  7 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- 1.2.4i

* Tue Jun 27 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- rebuild in new environment (release 3)
- adjust GSSAPI build logic

* Thu Jun 22 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- fix MD5 code

* Wed Jun 21 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 1.2.2i

* Mon Jun 19 2000 Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg@redhat.com>
- use aspell

* Sat Jun 10 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- FHS fixes

* Wed May 10 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- add some files

* Tue May  9 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 1.2i

* Tue Apr  4 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- eliminate explicit krb5-configs dependency

* Wed Mar 22 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- auto<foo> is so much fun.

* Wed Mar 01 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- make kerberos support conditional at compile-time

* Mon Feb 07 2000 Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com>
- wmconfig -> desktop

* Fri Feb  4 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- keep the makefiles from re-running autoheader, automake, etc.

* Thu Feb  3 2000 Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>
- add forward-ported sasl patch

* Thu Feb  3 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- handle compressed man pages, other cleanups

* Wed Jan 19 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- 1.0.1

* Mon Jan  3 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- add the sample mime.types to /usr/doc

* Sat Jan  1 2000 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- fix an odd y2k issue on receiving mail from ancient clients

* Fri Oct 21 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- one-point-oh.

* Fri Sep 25 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- add a buffer overflow patch

* Tue Aug 31 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 1.0pre2

* Tue Aug 17 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 0.95.7
- require urlview since the default muttrc uses it

* Mon Jun 21 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- get correct manual path the Right Way(tm)
- make it so it uses default colors even if COLORFGBG isn't set

* Mon Jun 14 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 0.95.6

* Mon Apr 26 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- try and make sure $RPM_OPT_FLAGS gets passed through

* Fri Apr 23 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- update to 0.95.5

* Mon Mar 29 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- sed correct doc path into /etc/Muttrc for viewing manual

* Sun Mar 21 1999 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- auto rebuild in the new build environment (release 3)

* Thu Mar 18 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- strip binary

* Mon Mar  8 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
-  update to 0.95.4 - fixes a /tmp race

* Wed Feb 24 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- the RETURN OF WMCONFIG! Aiyeee!

* Fri Feb 12 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- 0.95.3 - fixes mailcap handling

* Mon Jan  4 1999 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- 0.95.1

* Sat Dec 12 1998 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- 0.95

* Fri Jul 31 1998 Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com>
- backport some 0.94.2 security fixes
- fix un-setgid
- update to 0.93.2

* Tue Jul 28 1998 Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com>
- security fix
- update to 0.93.1.
- turn off setgid mail.

* Thu May 07 1998 Prospector System <bugs@redhat.com>
- translations modified for de, fr, tr

* Tue Apr 21 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- updated to 0.91.1

* Fri Apr 10 1998 Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>
- updated to mutt-0.89.1

* Thu Oct 16 1997 Otto Hammersmith <otto@redhat.com>
- Updated to mutt 0.85.
- added wmconfig entries.
- removed mime.types

* Mon Sep 1 1997 Donnie Barnes <djb@redhat.com>
- Rebuilt to insure all sources were fresh and patches were clean.

* Wed Aug 6 1997 Manoj Kasichainula <manojk@io.com>
- Initial version for 0.81(e)

* Re: A mail client that is org-mode compatible
@ 2013-01-10 14:11                   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2013-01-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 02:47:17PM +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> Sorry for the late response, I was on holidays.

thanks a lot for your informative answer! Very interesting!

--

@ 2013-01-10 18:50                   ` Viktor Rosenfeld
From: Viktor Rosenfeld @ 2013-01-10 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode