* Small tutorial on how to use Perl within org
@ 2013-03-09 13:36 D M German
From: D M German @ 2013-03-09 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi everybody,

I have created a  small document that describes how to use perl within
org. Hopefully others will find it useful:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/emacs/examplePerl.org

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/

* Re: Small tutorial on how to use Perl within org
@ 2013-03-09 14:24 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-03-09 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

D M German writes:
> http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/emacs/examplePerl.org

Nice, would you consider contributing it to Worg?  I'd like to ask you
to update your Org and that description to the extra features I've
recently implemented for Perl.

#+name: eg
| col1 | col2 |
|------+------|
| a    | c    |
| b    | d    |

#+name: hello
#+header: :var x = eg
#+header: :results output
#+BEGIN_SRC perl
  print qq(Hi Mom!$/I'm home.)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: hello
: Hi Mom!
: I'm home.

#+name: table-passthrough
#+header: :colnames nil
#+header: :var x = eg
#+begin_src perl
 # Look Ma, no code!
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: table-passthrough
| col1 | col2 |
|------+------|
| a    | c    |
| b    | d    |

#+name: number-tablerows
#+header: :colnames no
#+header: :var x = eg
#+begin_src perl
my $i = 0;
foreach my $row (@$x) {
  unshift $row, $i++;
}
$x;
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: number-tablerows
| 0 | col1 | col2 |
| 1 | a    | c    |
| 2 | b    | d    |

Achim.

* Re: Small tutorial on how to use Perl within org
@ 2013-03-09 16:12 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-03-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha dmg,

D M German <dmg@uvic.ca> writes:

> hi everybody,
>
> I have created a  small document that describes how to use perl within
> org. Hopefully others will find it useful:
>
> http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/emacs/examplePerl.org

Nice.

It would be great to use this document as the basis of ob-doc-perl.
Perl is one of about 20 languages that need to be documented at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html.

Note that there is a template that helps create a "standard" language
document:

http://orgmode.org/w/?p=worg.git;a=blob;f=org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-template.org;hb=HEAD

I don't know the first thing about Perl, but I'll be happy to help if
there are questions about getting to ob-doc-perl from the template.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Small tutorial on how to use Perl within org
@ 2013-03-12  0:00   ` D M German
From: D M German @ 2013-03-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

 Thomas S Dye twisted the bytes to say:

[...]
 >> http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/emacs/examplePerl.org

 Tom> Nice.

 Tom> It would be great to use this document as the basis of ob-doc-perl.
 Tom> Perl is one of about 20 languages that need to be documented at
 Tom> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html.

 Tom> Note that there is a template that helps create a "standard" language
 Tom> document:

 Tom> http://orgmode.org/w/?p=worg.git;a=blob;f=org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-template.org;hb=HEAD

 Tom> I don't know the first thing about Perl, but I'll be happy to help if
 Tom> there are questions about getting to ob-doc-perl from the template.

It sounds good. I'll do it. I'll probably have it ready the end of the
week or beginning of next.

I'll also take care of SQL, which I have been using under Org too.

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German                  "Science can be esoteric
    The Economist ->               technology has to be pragmatic"

@ 2013-03-12  0:44     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-03-12  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Daniel,

D M German <dmg@uvic.ca> writes:

> Hi Tom,

> It sounds good. I'll do it. I'll probably have it ready the end of the
> week or beginning of next.
>
> I'll also take care of SQL, which I have been using under Org too.

This is welcome news.  Let me know if there is any way I can help.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye