emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-24 20:18 Samuel Wales
  2009-02-25 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I didn't find a way to have export as ASCII export the URL
of links.

With a link whose URL is google's and whose label is
"google main page", org exports:

  try [google main page].

I prefer this:

  try http://google.com (google main page).

Did I miss a variable?

Thanks.

-- 
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse
than nearly all other serious diseases studied; Schweitzer et al.
1995) and grossly corrupting science.  *Anybody* can get the disease.
It is spreading exponentially.  It is real.
http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-24 20:18 ascii export of url part of links possible? Samuel Wales
@ 2009-02-25 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-26  8:16   ` Eric S Fraga
  2009-02-26 18:08   ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-25 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:18 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I didn't find a way to have export as ASCII export the URL
> of links.
>
> With a link whose URL is google's and whose label is
> "google main page", org exports:
>
>  try [google main page].
>
> I prefer this:
>
>  try http://google.com (google main page).

I agree, and this would be easy to to.  However, a problem is that
it would make lines potentially very long, as ASCII export does not
fill paragraphs.

I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
footnotes for ascii export.....

What do you think?

- Carsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-25 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-26  8:16   ` Eric S Fraga
  2009-02-26 15:53     ` Jason F. McBrayer
  2009-02-26 18:08   ` Samuel Wales
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-02-26  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-02-25, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> [...]
> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
> footnotes for ascii export.....
>
> What do you think?

I, for one, would find this very attractive.  And it's in line with
what some of the text based web browsers generate in ascii dumps of
web pages.

-- 
Eric S Fraga, UCL
BF >++++++++++[>++++++++++>+++++++++++[<]>-]>++.>++++.<-----.++++++.------.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-26  8:16   ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2009-02-26 15:53     ` Jason F. McBrayer
  2009-02-26 20:21       ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2009-02-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On 2009-02-25, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
>> footnotes for ascii export.....
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I, for one, would find this very attractive.  And it's in line with
> what some of the text based web browsers generate in ascii dumps of
> web pages.

I think that's a good idea, as well.  It might even be particularly
nice to format the links and the footnotes in such a way that a
[Markdown][1] processor could understand them.

[1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------------+  
| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |  
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |  
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |  
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |  

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-25 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-26  8:16   ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2009-02-26 18:08   ` Samuel Wales
  2009-02-26 20:33     ` Carsten Dominik
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-26 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:51, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
> footnotes for ascii export.....
>
> What do you think?

Yes.  :)

When there is both label and url: "[label]" then url in footnote.

When there is only url: maybe just "url" to keep formatting nice.

-- 
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse
than nearly all other serious diseases studied; Schweitzer et al.
1995) and grossly corrupting science.  Anybody can get the disease at
any time.  http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-26 15:53     ` Jason F. McBrayer
@ 2009-02-26 20:21       ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-27 18:43         ` Jason F. McBrayer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-26 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1218 bytes --]


On Feb 26, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On 2009-02-25, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
>>> footnotes for ascii export.....
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I, for one, would find this very attractive.  And it's in line with
>> what some of the text based web browsers generate in ascii dumps of
>> web pages.
>
> I think that's a good idea, as well.  It might even be particularly
> nice to format the links and the footnotes in such a way that a
> [Markdown][1] processor could understand them.
>
> [1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

Hmmm, I see what you mean - but I don't think that is a realistic
use case.  If you have an org document, would you then want to go
through ASCII and then markdown for HTML instead of using the direct
route?

And I think that

    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google] than from
    [Yahoo] or [MSN].

is still easier to read than

    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google][] than from
    [Yahoo][] or [MSN][].

So I would need a convincing argument to make it exactly
markdown format.

- Carsten



[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2530 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 204 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Emacs-orgmode mailing list
Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-26 18:08   ` Samuel Wales
@ 2009-02-26 20:33     ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is implemented now.

- Carsten

On Feb 26, 2009, at 7:08 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:51, Carsten Dominik  
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
>> footnotes for ascii export.....
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Yes.  :)
>
> When there is both label and url: "[label]" then url in footnote.
>
> When there is only url: maybe just "url" to keep formatting nice.
>
> -- 
> Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
> Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse
> than nearly all other serious diseases studied; Schweitzer et al.
> 1995) and grossly corrupting science.  Anybody can get the disease at
> any time.  http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
  2009-02-26 20:21       ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-27 18:43         ` Jason F. McBrayer
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2009-02-27 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hmmm, I see what you mean - but I don't think that is a realistic use
> case.  If you have an org document, would you then want to go through
> ASCII and then markdown for HTML instead of using the direct route?

It would be marginally useful for me.  I'm using blog software that
accepts article titles and bodies in Markdown format.  I used to just
write the Markdown, but these days I do most of my article drafting in
org-mode, and then export to html.  Since Markdown files can contain
arbitrary html, it's fine with the blog that I do that.  But now I have
my article files in HTML rather than Markdown, which makes them very
marginally more work to search, maintain, and so forth.  Of course, I
could just keep the org-mode source somewhere, or write a plugin to let
the blog handle basic org formatting...

> And I think that
>
>    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google] than from
>    [Yahoo] or [MSN].
>
> is still easier to read than
>
>    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google][] than from
>    [Yahoo][] or [MSN][].

Assuming:

> I get 10 times more traffic from [Google][1] than from
>    [Yahoo][2] or [MSN][3].

That's true; I hadn't realized that Emacs' footnote-mode handled that
style of footnote.  I was assuming numeric footnotes, at which point
there's no further cost to making it Markdown compatible.

-- 
+-----------------------------------------------------------+  
| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |  
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |  
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |  
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |  

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-02-27 18:43 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-02-24 20:18 ascii export of url part of links possible? Samuel Wales
2009-02-25 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-26  8:16   ` Eric S Fraga
2009-02-26 15:53     ` Jason F. McBrayer
2009-02-26 20:21       ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-27 18:43         ` Jason F. McBrayer
2009-02-26 18:08   ` Samuel Wales
2009-02-26 20:33     ` Carsten Dominik

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).