From: tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye)
To: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
Cc: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org>,
	emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Using Eric Schulte's starter kit with org mode from source
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:29:08 -1000	[thread overview]

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

>>> Yes, the starter kit waits to load on the after-init-hook so that the
>>> Emacs package system will be fully loaded.  That is why the other file
>>> you load on the command line is loaded first.
>>
>> Then asynchronous export can't work, as it needs ox in that file. I've
>> changed my init.el to loading org before the after-init-hook, and I go
>> further but then I have an error about the "koma-letter" being
>> unknown. It seems that to go this way I would need to load all of my
>> export settings before the after-init-hook.
>>
>> So going the route of having a special init file for that seems even
>> more relevant now.
>
> Yes, I'd agree.
>
>> So I'll ask again: if I want to put some configuration in another .org
>> file, it is better to #+include it in my main org configuration file,
>> or to org-babel-load-file it?
>>

> I don't know.
>

>> Thanks again for your help,
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> PS: I really don't understand how configuration options that are loaded
>> in the after-init-hook can be used during asynchronous export. Is it
>> working for you (with a more usual org install)?
>
> I haven't used asynchronous export.
>
> When I do run exports from the command line, I run Emacs with --batch,
> and I don't load any of my personal configuration.  That way the export
> can easily be distributed as it doesn't rely on my personal config.

This is what asynchronous export does, IIUC.  Here is the relevant part
of a setup I'm using:

  (setq org-export-in-background t)
  (setq org-export-async-debug t)
  (setq org-export-async-init-file (expand-file-name "init.el"))

I tangle the initialization file (init.el) from my document.  Everything
is contained in the one Org file.

Asynchronous export works really well for me.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye