From: Dan Davison <dandavison7@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: return link to :file when using #+call
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:14:39 +0000	[thread overview]

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your answer Eric.  Recent changes as per
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/35396
> means that this no longer works.

Thanks for bringing this up Myles.

> To recap: what I would like to do is to #+call an R source
> block, passing a filename, and have it write a plot to that file and
> also insert a link to that file in the org file.  Any ideas?
>
> Here is what I have tried:
>
> #+source: foo()
> #+begin_src R :file bar.png :results graphics
> plot(1,1)
> #+end_src
>

> #+call: foo[:file baz.png]()
>
> #+results: foo[:file baz.png]()
> : baz.png
>
> baz.png contains a plot, but no file link is inserted.

Yes you need :results file, so the line should be

#+call: foo[:file baz.png]() :results file

Explanation: In simple single-block usage, :file automatically
sets :results file. But here :file in square brackets is passed to block
foo, so the #+call line needs its own :results file. (And in fact :file
would be wrong; see below).

> #+call: foo()
>
> #+results: foo()
> : bar.png
>
> bar.png contains a plot, but no file link is inserted.

Yep. Same as above, except here you haven't overridden the file name.

> #+call: foo[:file biff.png]() :file biff.png
>
> #+results: foo[:file biff.png]()
> [[file:biff.png]]
>
> a file link is inserted but file biff.png contains 'biff.png'

Right, this one's kind of instructive for understanding this
stuff. Here, foo returns its file name as a string, so
"biff.png". The #+call line has been told to send its results to file
with the :file argument, and it takes that literally, writing the string
"biff.png" to its output file. So if what we want is a file containing
graphics, we are not going to want :file on the #+call line. What we
want is to interpret the string as a file name, and that's what :results
file does.

> #+call: foo[:file pow.png]() :file pow.png :results graphics
>
> #+results: foo[:file pow.png]()
> [[file:pow.png]]
>
> a file link is inserted but file pow.png contains 'pow.png'

Same as above. #+call receives a string from foo; it can't turn that
string into the desired graphics. In fact, :results graphics currently
only has any effect on an R block (i.e. at an R block, or passed to an R
block inside [ ... ]).

Dan